Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 PM

Question Trapline(s) for sale?

Trapline(s) for sale?

I am opening my own thread 'cause I don't feel like getting into other conversations going on, this way it will stay to the MY purpose & point - with a bit of luck

I own a few websites myself and know how hard it can be to keep a topic on the origional source of question(s)

I grew up on a trapline north east of Thunder Bay Ontario (about 500ks) from almost birth till turned sixteen, skinned every animal and ate just about the same there is to catch.

My old man bought the trapline two years after the second world war and was a real hard core woodsman.

We made everything from moose hide clothing to snowshoes and cedar canoes.

He didn't buy anything but gunpowder and lead to make our own bullets.

I was raised with 18 huskies and I never even saw a chance to use a snow machine - everything was done by hand and foot.

By 12 I was cutting firewood and walking 14-18 a day in different directions during season to check traps.

He owned a 20 x 20 square mile line, and in early 1981 the darn timber company Emerican Can came in and harvested over 2-3rds of his line for the timber.

In 1978 he shot all 18 huskies we had because the Ontario government idiots took away all trappers gillnet licenses claiming it was hurting the sport fishing industry.

Now we had no natural way to fish and feed the dogs as had been done all his years on the line.

My ole man wanted to shoot every tourist that came down the river after that.

The tree harvesting was the final stone that killed his spirit.

His entire life was gone in a few months of forestry harvesting - and end to an era.

We only seen a city once every 6 to 8 months out of the year just to grab supplies of flour, sugars, salt , teas and a few other luxury items.

The rest was all lived off the land.

Whats the saying a purpose of all this?

First I hate sport hunting, fishing and anything else disrespectful to nature,to me trapping is a way of life just as gold digging is.

It also serves many purposes to keep diseases in check and too many to list.

Not to mention it is the best damn life one could give their kids and families, and it will teach anyone thats a ***** to be a man.

I have gone through the ice miles from home, survived to tell about it.

Saw my ole man go through the ice with a snow machine, lived to help him pull it into our log home to take it apart and dry the engine out

My stories would fill the forum.

Ok let's get to it, I am an honest guy, got six kids and been to both coasts.

I am 45 and dying to find a peice of land I could take me kids to every summer, and if I had to trap it in the winter so be it.

I am on a medical have very little money but can make payments out of my monthly cash incomes.

I do small moves, I buy and sell used stuff online and various other things to make ends meet.

I built several cabins with the ole man, i can notch and build a two story home if needed too.

I don't need anything on the line, I can get everything I need if necessary.

Now I realize that Alberta has a bit of different style animals to be reckoned with, especially the grizzlies I hear of up north of Mcmurray is it?

All in all I'd need someone that could fill me in on the do's and don'ts of a certain area if I bought it.

I am a wildman at heart, I never had TV or lights or motor car as a kid

Just the squirels!

Seriously I would really be indebted if someone had a piece of unwanted or unused portion of line the could let me purchase on a monthly deal till paid off or what have you?

I really need to get my kids out into the bush, away from the garbage in the City.

Saying Garbage I mean the pollution and unreal events.

People are fine (most) but the City is not.

And they all want it just as bad.

I take the camping every summer and there's nothing like an open fire and pan cooking some fish up.

I sure miss the moose meat, duck, goose, beaver and fish I grew up on.

These days we can barely afford hamburger!

What a life the government has rammed down peoples throats.

God help those in the cities in a massive power failure - oil loss etc.

No heat, no food - its scary.

I want to get my kids a place to go if we ever need.

If you read this - and you own a line - please be thankful you have one.

I'd give a right "o" for one

Can anyone help?

Suggestions?

I live in Red Deer ( I survive in hell I mean)

Name is Glen Persson.

And can someone tell me the gun laws, do you need a gun license for a line?

Or just a line license?

In Ontario up to 1983 one only needed a trappers license, $25.00 a year and they could buy firearms and ammo.

Probably not here.

I look forwards to replies.

And I thank the forum admin for this great place to read great stories and more!

Found it on google.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM

welcome to 2011
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Try and find a trapper that will make you a junior partner on his line.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM

try ELDRID RATZLAFF.{debolt alberta] or LARRY CLEGG[debolt alberta.both have trap lines an i don`t think they use em.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM

Incredible post. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutline homestead View Post
try ELDRID RATZLAFF.{debolt alberta] or LARRY CLEGG[debolt alberta.both have trap lines an i don`t think they use em.
I know Larry and he does trap his, he did alright this year...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM

Thumbs up still looking

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM

You might want to get a membership to the Alberta Trappers Association. The magazine routinely has traplines for sale (assets as it were) and requests for junior partners.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default Trapline

Thanks for the replies your are all experts in my mind but its sold. Thanks and please remove the add.

Last edited by Bullseye Bills Trading Po; 03-13-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Please delete line is sold!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default firearms law

in alberta you cannot buy firearms or ammunition without a licence (P.A.L or P.O.L) possesion and aquisition or possision only
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Not sure how to respond, but I take a real issue with you hating "sport hunting and fishing and anything else disrespectful in nature" or however you put it.
did these people somehow ruin your life?
Cat
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not sure how to respond, but I take a real issue with you hating "sport hunting and fishing and anything else disrespectful in nature" or however you put it.
did these people somehow ruin your life?
Cat
I have to agree with Cat here, there is NOTHING wrong with fishing for sport, and if you use what you kill in a hunt, well theres nothing wrong with finding sport in hunting. Hating those who persue these activities means you hate most everyone on this forum - we don't all live off the outdoors!

You have in intersting story, but you seem to have a poor attitude toward life in 2011 in Canada. Times change, you have to adapt, things are not the same as in the 60's and 70's.

I wish you good luck, my friend.

Tags
trapline wanted