Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Default How's Everyone's season going?

Just thought I'd start a thread on how the trapping season is fairing across the Province.

This is the first season the wife and I have been able to get out for a real extended period of time, and the first time our most Northern part of the line can be trapped due to completion of our line cabin.

To say we have had an enjoyable first part of the season would be an understatement. The snow conditions were "quad only" so far and the weather has been pretty decent for both the Trapper and target species.

We went round one to get set up before Christmas for marten, wolves, wolverine and lynx. Lots of work but we got done and took some family time (a couple days) for Christmas and then back out to the line.

We were fortunate to have a total catch so far of 4 wolves, 2 wolverine, one weighing in at 40 lbs., one at 25lbs., (and SRD was kind enough to allow us to keep the second incidental catch), one lynx and six marten. After the incidental second wolverine we pulled all our sets from that area as there were another set of tracks in the vicinity.

Now we will move to the South part of our line and complete the season!!

I will post some pics if someone can tell me how to decrease the size of the pics as they won't accept them loaded on here as the file is too big.

Good luck to everyone out there trapping and it would be interesting to see how others are making out!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Default trapping

I have 21 marten and one lynx.I set wolf snares below my trapline cabin a few days ago.They dont come around till full moon.Then they have a surprise waiting.Found a deer that the wolves killed last december all was left were jaw bone and small piece of hide.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Hello there ILT,
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have things in perspective, the proper one. Even better to hear that you have your cabin completed, it sure makes the pleasure of trapping that much more enjoyable, plus the fact that you have your companion with you. Doesn't get much better than that..
As for me, well, for the first time in at least 15 yrs., I do not have any snares or boxes hung. Made a commitment to help a guy with his work load and it does not allow for me to spend the amount of time on the line that is required.
I sure miss it and can't see it happening again for quite a while.
Hope you have a successful season and no need to tell you to enjoy each other...
Where abouts is it that you are trapping, if you don't mind me asking. just curious being as I have no wolverine..
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

Hi Doug, we trap the headwaters of the Brazeau/Job Lake/Coral Creek. It has taken three years to get set up to the point where we have all the equipment etc. to trap the area properly. This area did not have any cabins or much for trail improvement to access areas when we acquired it. It is 7 townships in size and of course alot of it is at 45 degrees...LOL!! Logistics have been a challenge and we still have much to do on trail improvement but it all takes time and is very rewarding doing the trail improvements and helps keep the belly down...LOL!!

Sorry to hear you are unable to get out but hopefully next year. Sounds like Don is doing well and certainly catching wolves is a highlight!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM

My wife and I just resident trap (for now) in Sturgeon County north of Edmonton. We got some coyote snares out end of December and managed to get 10 in the first 9 days, then the snow came. We pulled everything due to heavy drifting but will get it back out soon.
It's great to read of the trapline tales though.
Doug
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM

we've got 26 marten, 1 lynx and 2 weasels so far. have a wolf/coyote set out but havent had any luck yet
Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Default Coral Creek

Well, now the weather is tolerable we're loaded ready to go to the South end of the line up Coral Creek to set up for wolves. Should get to the cabin by dark and start snaring up our bait station tomorrow a.m.. Back for the AHEIA banquet. With the warmer weather hopefully there will be more activity.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default Nothing

I thought I would resurect this thread to see how everyone else is doing. After setting up for wolves on the South end of the line there hasn't been any pass through. In checking with my neighbor trappers they are experiencing the same. We calculated out in the last three years in the same area over 35 wolves have been taken so maybe it's starting to make a difference in the population.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Ingrid and I got 24 coyotes in January, that equals our entire 2010 season. I know it doesn't sound like much but we are only snaring 2 quarters of pasture. 20% mange so far.

Question- I have heard that a pink underbelly is an indication of mange (thanks GG), we have one thawing out that is really pink from arm pits to crotch but seems to have all it's hair (but it is still frozen). We'll examine it when thawed. Can the color be washed out? Or is it a waste of time?
Thanks
Doug
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Default First year

I have had what I would consider to be an excellent year for a first time trapper. 27 marten, 7 wolves, 2 fisher, 1 coyote, and a beaver, so far. It has been a great learning experience.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default Fantastic!!

WOW, you have done exceptionally well, and especially for a first season. It'll be a never-ending learning experience which makes trapping so challenging and rewarding. Where abouts is your line?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks, you are right, I think I am hooked. I am a junior on a line in the Peace River country. Also did a bit of resident trapping.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Hi

Glad to here everyone is having a good year. I just started again this year on private land. It's a pain but I have had a great season. The last time I trapped was in high school 20 years ago in SK. Hope I can afford a real line some day but am glad for the cooperative land owners around Alder Flats.

Happy Trapping

67 coyote
3 fox
50 beaver
5 wolves
3 rabbits
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Default 2010/2011 season

It's been a good year but my wolves never showed up and I had to pull the snares due to access with all this snow. Had my girlfriend out on Sunday and managed pick up 2 more lynx. So far she has only seen a few weasels but her luck finally turned around. Lynx season is almost over but will get a few beaver this spring and could still get an otter if I'm lucky. I love trapping for cats and I am lucky enough to get to trap 2 lines. Hopefully prices are good in the June sale as I haven't shipped anything yet.

Lynx 7
Fisher 4
Marten 16
Weasel 17
Coyote 2
Mink 2
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM

I am a resident trapper so I was limited to what I can trap. There were lots of lnyx sigh in the area and so I moved my traps so I wound'nt accidenty catch one. Still had a good season.

5 beaver
21 marten
10 mink
12 weasals
1 fox
2 coyote

I really would like to buy a trapline in the northern part of Alberta, I been a resident trapper for years and wounld like to trap on a trapline next winter.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Buffalo head hills

First year wolf trapping/snaring it snowed almost every week made it a little difficult keeping snares high enough off the ground lots of wolves/wolverines in my area I got 2 a 3rd wolverine has been around my marten sets. I talked to my neighbor he got one all within 20 miles went out last week took down the last of my snares kind of a sad day all in all had a good season
5 wolves
2 wolverine
18 marten
1 fisher
1 coyote
2 beaver
2 weasel
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM

what a shame he got banned! the negativity on this forum is over the top. he should go to the trapperman forums. alot of great info and alot more positive.

109 marten
6 beavers
9 ermine
23 squirrels
3 wolf
3 wolerine
4 mink
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Default Trap line chat

Good Year with lynx martin and a ****pot of yotes. best prices for yotes in 4 years i hope everyone stops trapping the breeding yotes now and the market will stay high for next year with prime pelts demanding prime dollar dont flood the market with out of prime fur.