Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Bench Rests

I am in the market for a good bench rest and was wondering what everyone uses as I have no experience with them and where is a good place to pick one up and approx cost.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 AM

I use the Benchmaster. Got mine at Russel's or Wholesale.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 AM

I have a bench master also
I find it alright but not the best
the strap in the back was causin my muzzel to flip up under recoil
and i find the ears on the rear stock part to get under my cheek sometimes and ouch ,,,still fiddlin with it,,
had to clean up the treads on mine they werent very smooth in the movements .
over all its better than nothin and makes a great rest for workin on guns
Old 10-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Benchmaster as well. Wholesale, Russel and Can Tire (on Southland drive in Calgary) all stock them.
Seems to be the most popular model i've seen out at the range.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM

I use the Benchmaster as well but needed to do a farmer fix it on the front bag. Be sure it's secure or you'll lose it in transport.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM

I picked up a Caldwell this Summer. The one with a built in tray that you can load up with weight to reduce felt recoil. Nice for sighting in bigger stuff, and works as advertised. Adjustment is pretty much elevation only. I think they go for about 150. I think I actually prefer using the old sand filled shooting bags once everything is dialed in. Cheaper too.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30cal View Post
I think I actually prefer using the old sand filled shooting bags once everything is dialed in. Cheaper too.
"Dialing in" is the only thing I do use a bench rest for....once the rifle is sighted....I stick to shooting with out a bench rest....I'll use my bi-pod, knee, the table, a tree, prone, and a front bag (since it can represent my pack)....but basically I use the items I have when I am actually hunting.....sighting in is sighting in....practicing is a whole other thing....
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 AM
-NDN-

Lead Sled for the kickers, front and rear bag for the non mags. then practice off stix and other positions with no rest
Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 AM

This is the set up I use & I really like it. I got it @ Bashaw sports, I think the whole deal was about $180. It is rock solid.

I also have a Caldwell lead sled, but if your buying one to use for your main set up, then you will be dissapointed. Its designed to take the sting out of heavy hitters, & it works great for that purpose, but for load development it isnt that great, as the whole thing moves with every shot & there is no windage adjustment.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM

John
I found the rests at the store not very sturdy ,so I built my own .
At the range I screw the back down to the bench ,then i can shoot magnums all day long. Feels like a 22 when shooting.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Caldwell Lead Sled

One more vote for the Lead Sled.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 PM

JR, nice looking rest you manufactured there. I bought the Benchmaster for $139 so it wasn't too bad of a price. Pick the gun up tomorrow and off to the range I go after work to get it sighted in.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

CMFIC has it right.
Loose the all in one stuff.
Good front rest, and a rabbit eared rear bag.
Go to www.benchrestcentral.com, and see what the real accuracy guys use, you wont see too many of those all in one rigs BTW.
Or PM Bushrat

There are no absolutes
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM

Each to their own Dick. I have a room full of front rests and rabbit eared bags that get used for holding the door open since I got my Benchmaster.
For me a two piece system can't compete with the rigidity of the one piece for wringing out the last bit of accuracy in a gun. Probably why gun vises are one piece two.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think many competitions allow one piece systems do they?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Each to their own Dick. I have a room full of front rests and rabbit eared bags that get used for holding the door open since I got my Benchmaster.
For me a two piece system can't compete with the rigidity of the one piece for wringing out the last bit of accuracy in a gun. Probably why gun vises are one piece two.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think many competitions allow one piece systems do they?
For BR competition the rifle has to be able to be picked straight up with any pressure, it can't be clamped into the support.
I found the lead sled to be less accurate than a front rest and rear bag becuas of the pressure inconsistancy however, even for big kicking rifles.
A clamping system also changes POI of the rifle due to recoil differences from holding, (s does anything other than the person holding it!).
I know many guys who do not check their rifles from hunting positions after zeroing, and this is a mistake.

Cat
Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I found the lead sled to be less accurate than a front rest and rear bag becuas of the pressure inconsistancy however, even for big kicking rifles..

Cat
I have never used the lead sled so I can't speak to it, but how does it create pressure inconsistencies? Just for example on the bench master the butt and the fore stock fit into the exact same spot everytime. Is the lead sled different from this?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM

The bags and rear rest on the lead sled do not let the rifle sit in a uniform , consistant spot each time.

I can shoot a 300 magnum far better using the front/rear bags than with the lead sled, in fact I can shoot any rifle Ihave tried better with the conventional bags.
it turned out to be a very disapointing peice of gear IMHO.
cat
Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
sheephunter

Hmmm...not questioning your shooting ability as you can likely shoot better off hand blindfolded than I can off a rest but I'm not sure I buy into the inconsistent pressure explaination either. I've never used the lead sled either but do use a Bench Master. I know I shoot as well out of it if not better than I do off bags. My hunting POI and POI of the Bench Master are identical but you make a good point about checking that. The weight of the Lead Sled certainly eats up a lot more recoil than the Bench Master and that could indeed change your POI. I be more willing to blame you lack of accuracy while shooting off the Lead Sled to its weight and that changes the harmonics rather than inconsistent pressure.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hmmm...not questioning your shooting ability as you can likely shoot better off hand blindfolded than I can off a rest but I'm not sure I buy into the inconsistent pressure explaination either. I've never used the lead sled either but do use a Bench Master. I know I shoot as well out of it if not better than I do off bags. My hunting POI and POI of the Bench Master are identical but you make a good point about checking that. The weight of the Lead Sled certainly eats up a lot more recoil than the Bench Master and that could indeed change your POI. I be more willing to blame you lack of accuracy while shooting off the Lead Sled to its weight and that changes the harmonics rather than inconsistent pressure.
it has to do with the softness of the rear and front bag.
I suppose I could mess with them and try to stiffen them up, but it's easier to grab the sinclair and bald eagle rest that a friend has.
I made the mistake of loaning my competition rests to soemone last spring and they disappearted with them!
Cat
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM

I like a simple front rest and rear bag. Medium packed bags with heavy sand that forms naturally to the contour of your gun and absorbs vibration the gun settles in dead steady and recoils naturally into your shoulder unlike the one piece units that arrest recoil with a strap or the butt is up against a stop. The rifle has to be able to move back freely as the gun does actually move a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, if that movement is interupted by a stop before the bullet exits it will give you fliers, might be only a half inch flier but that might be why someones gettin 1.5" groups as opposed to 1' groups. Its easy to get your gun in the exact same place with a front/rear set up, most have a forend stop that positions your gun the same each time. Then you get settled in good and comfortable, move things around till everythings just right. I find the single units hard to shoot off naturally, I find I just can't get comfortable shooting. I think the reason why people like the lead sled type is that its fashionable to shoot big magnums but they don't like recoil and develope a flinch and the sleds take care of that and they shoot better....to each his own.

A half a dozen sand pillows can make an awesome dead steady rest, portable, and inexpensive.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I like a simple front rest and rear bag. Medium packed bags with heavy sand that forms naturally to the contour of your gun and absorbs vibration the gun settles in dead steady and recoils naturally into your shoulder unlike the one piece units that arrest recoil with a strap or the butt is up against a stop. The rifle has to be able to move back freely as the gun does actually move a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, if that movement is interupted by a stop before the bullet exits it will give you fliers, might be only a half inch flier but that might be why someones gettin 1.5" groups as opposed to 1' groups. Its easy to get your gun in the exact same place with a front/rear set up, most have a forend stop that positions your gun the same each time. Then you get settled in good and comfortable, move things around till everythings just right. I find the single units hard to shoot off naturally, I find I just can't get comfortable shooting. I think the reason why people like the lead sled type is that its fashionable to shoot big magnums but they don't like recoil and develope a flinch and the sleds take care of that and they shoot better....to each his own.

A half a dozen sand pillows can make an awesome dead steady rest, portable, and inexpensive.

I've got several sub one inch shooters off my one piece. It reduces recoil a bit but certainly not like the heavy rests do. It sure works well for me. I'm not shooting competition mind you but for the average shooter, I still think they are a good choice.....as are front and rear bags.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM

Been out at the range last two days with the 300 WBY and have found the Benchmaster very easy to use and have been shooting some good groups off of it. Recoil is hardly noticable with it too. Now it is time to do some standing freehand shooting and then should be good to go Nov 1 and hopefully the 4 bull elk are still there!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
At the range I screw the back down to the bench ,then i can shoot magnums all day long. Feels like a 22 when shooting
I'm gonna mention several people have found out the hard way with their lead sleds, that too much weight in the tray has been cracking/breaking the stocks. I've read where some folks were putting upwards of 100 lbs. of lead shot on their tray, then proceed to lay their big magnums in it........didnt take them many shots too destroy their stocks.

Screwing your rig down to the bench, to make it replicate .22 recoil, can & will do alot of harm to your Wood over time..... Dont matter if its a .243 or a .416 Rigby, the efeects of recoil need to be going somewhere, & if your rest isnt gonna move, the path of least resistance is right on your recoil lug!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
sheephunter

Ya, I've heard the same about the Lead Sleds and why I chose the Benchmaster. They are two very different rests.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM

I havent used that model sheep, but have heard lots of good about them.

The lead sled, works excellent. I only use it for my big bores. I also only put about 30lbs in it. Plus the weight of the rest gives a guy about 45lbs. 45lbs+ 8-9lb Rifle replicates a 53lb Rifle. The rest still moves when you shoot, but gives little enough felt recoil to be able to tame even tuff ones like a .458 Lott.