Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Factory load suggestions

I am taking my younger cousin (15) out this year for his first Antlered muledeer hunt. He came out last year with me and harvested his first Wt buck. However I noticed last year that he was a little "flinchy" when shooting his 270. His accuracy suffered greatly as a result. I made mention that he needed to spend more time with his rifle and become more comfortable or shoot a lighter caliber. He opted to go with the latter. He is planning to bring his 243 Husquavarna. He asked what kind of load he oughta be shooting and to be honest with you I haven't a clue. Can you fella's chime in with your opinions? It would sure help.

Thanks
Tdwarburton
Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

I would give the Federal Premium 100gr partitions a try, see if they shoot good. Those will have no problem anchoring a mule deer for him.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I would give the Federal Premium 100gr partitions a try, see if they shoot good. Those will have no problem anchoring a mule deer for him.
Agreed 110%
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Default 243

My 243 always shot best with an 87gr spitzer, although I hunted lot's with 85gr leads as well. Personally I found the 100gr was a bit heavy for the 243, maybe it's just me. Like to be able to shoot fast & flat out to 350 yds, even though I don't think I've ever shot an animal further than maybe 200-250 yds.
I see you're in SE AB, I'm in Bow Island. If you reload and want to try a couple different lead wts, pm me. I'll spot you some different leads to try if you like.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
stubblejumper

The federal load using the 85gr tsx is also a fine choice.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Select the load that shoots most accuratly in the given rifle.
85gr TSX's are fine but typically anything 100ish is suitable deer medicine.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
The federal load using the 85gr tsx is also a fine choice.
Did not realize Fed had an 85 gr TSX load I will agree they sure shoot nice through my boys rifle as a handload and the tsx is a wicked bullet
Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
stubblejumper

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...firearm=1&s1=1
Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't like the .243 as a big game cartridge. But if one has to use it i think the Fed. Priemium 100 gr. noslers are the ticket. It is sometimes desirable to make a hole right through a big deer to supply a good blood trail. The 100 gr. partitians will usually do this.

Robin in Rocky
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Default sierra

Any thoughts on the Sierra Game King bullets in 100grains for the 243??
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Hey Ruga,

I am shooting the GameKing's in my .243, but the 85gr hollow points at published velocity of 3320fps, as opposed to the 100gr spire points at published velocity of 2960fps. They shoot really flat and are crazy accurate in my Tikka Lam Stainless.

Haven't used them on deer yet, but am looking forward to it. I will write a post re: performance if I put them to work this year. At first I was leaning towared the 100 grainers for deer, but this gun is intended to pull double duty from yotes to deer so I like the flatter/faster 85's (and like that the soft lead nose isn't exposed on the 85's as it is on the 100's) and I was pretty keen to get one load that worked for everything I would hunt with this gun. Everything I have read and seen indicates the 85's should work well on deer... but we will see.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Default 243

243 85gr works very well on deer and antelope. That's the only thing I hunted with for nearly 30 yrs. You can usually find the lead on the opposite side of the ribcage, about 1/2 way through the ribs. I figure that's just about right.
Only had one animal that didn't drop on the spot, a running antelope I hit in the shoulder. 2nd shot dropped it(whew).
Shot placement is important though. With a light lead close won't cut it. Practice, practice, practice.
The 270 with a lighter loaded 110gr or maybe even a 130gr would be a very good choice to consider though.
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned

my tikka .243 t3 lite hated the 85 gr sierras at 3300 fps for accuracy, but it loved the 95 win ballistic silvertips, did fine on deer too, seen one shot at 40 yrds and did a 40 yrd runner (recovered about 1/2 the bullet in offside shoulder) and wife knocked down a whitetail buck at 188 yrds with them no prob (down on spot, pass through high lung/spine football size damage) but i've since changed over to the 95 gr fusions...stupid accurate in everything i've tried so far and my tikka .270 really likes the fusion ammo too...

the fusion ammo is 20 bucks a box cheap, bonded, boattailed....and accurate in everything i've shot it in....give it a try when you try some of the other stuff out also

i've not found any hornady ammo accurate in any of my guns yet fyi...winchester ballistic silvertips has shot well in all the guns i've tried it in and same with fusion...the fusion wins for the bonded AND price reasons over the winchester, can't report on kills with it yet but the bullets were apparently designed for deer specifically....good luck
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Well what I would suggest would be to stick with the 270 and pick up some fusion lite it is a reduced recoil load. stick that with a 130 grain and take him to the range let him shoot.
Load the gun for him a few times with a bullet and without telling him "pretend to load it" and watch him flinch ...or not you have to teach him the gun wont hurt him and every time the rifle fires it should suprise him wether its a 270 or 243 he will still flinch got to get him use to squeezing the trigger not pulling quick when the deer is in the sights.

Cheers

He has got to shoot to become comfortable ...take him to the range. teach him how to shoot and make a small shooting bet. lunch or somthing that will get him wanting to shoot good. got to get some confidence in the guy.