Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Default New CZ455 - creepy trigger

I had a bunch of photos to go along with this but photobucket was being difficult. After 3 uploads, I was ready to claw my eyes out. I still felt that this would be a worthwhile thread.

I picked up a CZ455 in 17hmr a couple of months ago. I took it to the range 3 times before it got to go gopher shooting on Monday. I thought the results of the trips to the range would be interesting to other cz owners .

The first day was for break-in and sight-in purposes.
The trigger was the worst that I've experienced on any BRNO or CZ that I've owned. The weight of pull seemed ok, but the creep was terrible. It only took a few shots to decide that the trigger needed to be adjusted or replaced. Anyway, I got it sighted in, so I'd accomplished what I set out to do.

Second trip was a warm Feb day of about 10 degrees and just a bit of wind. I had planned on doing the trigger work prior to going to the range, but other responsibilities got in the way. So I figured that "in the name of science", I could turn this into a before and after comparison of this cz's trigger. I fired nine 5-shot groups and recorded the results. I did this at both 50 and 100yds.

50yd results
Largest group 0.76 in
Smallest group 0.52 in
Average of the nine groups 0.65 in

100 yd results
Largest group 1.55 in
Smallest group 0.98 in
Average of the nine groups 1.29 in

Some 50yd groups from the initial trial. The two on the left were the worst of the bunch. The two on the right can't quite cover the groups. Ignore the patched target ...... it's just my frugality showing.

I can't emphasize how much creep the trigger had. I'd squeeze the trigger and I could feel the metal sliding against metal. It was difficult to tell when the trigger was actually going to break . I had no doubt that the excessive creep was adversely affecting the rifle's performance.

When I got it home, I measured the trigger pull at just a hair over 2lb. I was actually pretty happy about that as it matches the pull on the 452 that I use as my goto 22LR gopher getter. Digging through a box of spare parts, I was able to cobble together a complete YoDave kit and a couple other springs.

Note - my shim experiment may not yield the same results with your rifle. What is safe in my rifle may not be safe in yours.

I started with the red shim. It did not pass the bump test.
Next was the black shim. It passed the bump test, but I did not like the feel for a gun that was going to be carried in the field. If I was going to shoot this gun from a bench, I might have went with this shim.
The green shim gave the trigger a feel that I thought would just right for my purposes.
I tried the blue shim just for giggles. I could feel some creep but not near as much as originally.

With the green shim and the factory spring, the trigger now breaks at a nice, crisp 2lb. So it was back to the range for testing.

Here are the results with the adjusted trigger. Same lot of ammo. Similar weather. Nine 5-shot groups at both 50 and 100yds.

50yd results
Largest group 0.61 in
Smallest group 0.35 in
Average of the 9 groups 0.45 in

100 yd results
Largest group 1.23 in
Smallest group 0.85 in
Average of the 9 groups 1.07 in

This is one of the 50 yd targets that I shot. The other has 5 groups and 2 holes that can't be hidden. I like this one better.

Same target, buck naked.

I was expecting to see an improvement in group size, but I have to admit that I was surprised at the amount of improvement just from tuning the trigger. But given how poor this trigger was from the factory, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. A lot of shooters use a YoDave kit to improve the CZ trigger. It's pretty easy to do and usually worth the effort.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the gun. When gopher season is over, I'll try a few other things to see if I can improve the group size some more.

Again, sorry about the lack of pics. Photobucket has been miserable.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Put a Yodave kit in my 452 .22. I could not use any of the shims as it would not pass the bump test, ended up using the middle spring from the kit. Don't know what my trigger pull is but I'm very happy with the results.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Banned

I was hesitant to use the kit.
Searched both this and rimfire central.

I did purchase a kit and ended up using a lighter spring.

The shims will work but it is a trial and error ,the shims set contact which seem to influence creep.

The good and or bad is cz will be offering a trigger that can be purchased,but it is more than $20.00.

I never found the standard trigger in the cz i purchase bad ,just not perfect for all.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 AM

Good info. Love my 455 American. Nice little 22.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Default Rifle Basix

http://riflebasix.com/product/ceska-...trigger-cz-52/
Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM

I installed a Huber on my 6.5x55 Husqvarna HVA to replace the original. It took about three minutes to install with no modifications and proved to be exceptional.
There is a good chance they have one for your 455.

http://huberconcepts.com/more-triggers/
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 AM

Try the yodave kit.

I have done 4 CZ rifles. Three 452s and one 455 with the yodave kit. IIRC the kit is $8 and if you luck out with shim sizes you can do two rifles with one kit. You can remove the creep and get any pull weight you want. Ensure your rifle passes the bump test as it is possible to shim out too much sear engagement.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:58 PM

$18 currently.

His instructions end with:

"ALWAYS close bolt slowly and keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when loading or unloading your firearm and NEVER rely on your safety."

I'm a little leery of using this product if it might slam fire? Safety is unreliable?

Looking for those with experience with this product.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
$18 currently.

His instructions end with:

"ALWAYS close bolt slowly and keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when loading or unloading your firearm and NEVER rely on your safety."

I'm a little leery of using this product if it might slam fire? Safety is unreliable?

Looking for those with experience with this product.
All your doing with the shim kit is limiting the sear engagement. No different than a screw to do it with. The kit comes with 5 shims of various wall thicknesses. For my rifle I could not use any of them as my sear engagement was minimal from the factory. I was able to lighten my trigger to a level that I like. My trigger breaks clean with no creep, and I can not make it go off with a slam test. I am convinced if you follow the directions carefully you will be both safe and fully satisfied. The safety warning is no different than you would find in any rifles owners manual.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 PM

Are you trying to reduce creep or reduce the weight of trigger pull? or both? How light of a trigger do you want?

I've done a few yodave installs. I always get a safe, reliable trigger. I've never had an issue.

The 455 that I just picked up only needed a shim for the sear. It now has a nice, crisp trigger with 2lb of pull.
I've got a 452 that likes to go gopher shooting. It didn't need a shim. It only got a lighter spring and a turn of the adjustment nut to get a 2lb pull
An older BRNO got both the shim and a lighter spring. This is set up to be a very light trigger and only sees action at the range.

There's lots of Youtube vids that show how to install the kit. A google search for "rimfire central yodave install". You'll get tons of info.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Are you trying to reduce creep or reduce the weight of trigger pull? or both? How light of a trigger do you want?

I've done a few yodave installs. I always get a safe, reliable trigger. I've never had an issue.

The 455 that I just picked up only needed a shim for the sear. It now has a nice, crisp trigger with 2lb of pull.
I've got a 452 that likes to go gopher shooting. It didn't need a shim. It only got a lighter spring and a turn of the adjustment nut to get a 2lb pull
An older BRNO got both the shim and a lighter spring. This is set up to be a very light trigger and only sees action at the range.

There's lots of Youtube vids that show how to install the kit. A google search for "rimfire central yodave install". You'll get tons of info.
2 thumbs up for the "yodave" trigger kits. My CZ 452-2E-ZKM ( HB .22 rimfire) used to wear a Timney. When adjusted to my desired trigger pull weight, creep remained and the bolt wouldn't cock on closing 50% of the time. I swapped it out for a yodave at a much lesser cost and I'm now totally happy with it's trigger.