Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM

Default please remove

I have friend who wants to sell me his tikka model m695 in 270 win without the bolt,lost it on a trail out hunting,i found some new prices and not cheap,so I figured with any luck a member may have one with no rifle,it's a long shot ,but doesn't hurt to ask.I doubt there would be a match in some other tikka or sako,but then again you never know.Or the whole action don't need the trigger so maybe that would work.
THANKS RON
Old 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

I could never wrap my head around as to anyone would loose a bolt.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I could never wrap my head around as to anyone would loose a bolt.
Safe storage and transportation rules being what they are, I can sympathize. Once drove an hour, to find I'd left my bolt at home.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Safe storage and transportation rules being what they are, I can sympathize. Once drove an hour, to find I'd left my bolt at home.

Grizz
There is no regulation requiring the bolt to be removed for storage or transportation.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 PM

I cant understand why anyone would take the bolt out of their rifle for any other reason than cleaning or bore sighting.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 PM

I'm with you guys. Feel bad for the dude, but why take out a bolt unless you are cleaning???
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm with you guys. Feel bad for the dude, but why take out a bolt unless you are cleaning???
Military removes all breech blocks from their weapons, way better than a trigger lock if stolen and worthless to a thief.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Dude lost it in the bush when hunting, not when storing it. Why take a bolt out in the bush?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Dude lost it in the bush when hunting, not when storing it. Why take a bolt out in the bush?

Safe transportation?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:

If I was guessing, it was open and across his back. Something (coat/pack/brush) actuated the bolt release and the bolt was gone. Why it was open - I can't say.

Ron, I think you would need to have a very large horseshoe stuck somewhere to find a spare tikka 695 bolt on this forum. Try the sako collectors forum, numrich, wgp and other places that sell used parts.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 AM

Most of the "spare" bolts anyone has are still married to and installed in the action they are used in.

LC
Old 03-31-2017, 08:01 AM

You have a second career as a detective, as that is certainly plausible.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 AM

The chances of finding a used bolt with no action, are very slim. As hard to come by as those bolts are, if I had an action come open on it's own, and the bolt release got pressed accidentally, and the bolt was lost, I would be renting a metal detector and searching hard for it. As far as buying the rifle with no bolt, the difficulty and expense involved in finding a replacement bolt, and the possible work required to obtain the correct headspace, make the rifle worth very little.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Well, some times you have to cross one of those road corridor sanctuaries. Requirement is for the rifle to be taken down or cased. I always stick the bolt and mag in my backpack.

Grizz
Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=double gun;3506687]If I was guessing, it was open and across his back. Something (coat/pack/brush) actuated the bolt release and the bolt was gone. Why it was open - I can't say.

Bin there done that. We used to hunt with our bolts open so anyone we were hunting with, could see at a glance our gun was safe. Riding on a quad it disappeared. We took the same trail back and luckily my son spotted the knob of the bolt sticking out of a puddle of water. I was never so happy, it was the bolt from a Sako 300 win. Never traveled with a bolt open since.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:27 AM

He could have been crossing a fence or something.
I remember that ridiculous rule in firearms training about removing bolt or sticking a rod down the barrel to confirm an unloaded rifle.
Been near 20 yrs since I took my course, hope that rule is out the window now.

TBark
Old 04-01-2017, 08:57 AM

I lost the bolt from my Sako when unloading it in the dark and walking in the rain on my way back to my truck. A week later, I went back with a metal detector but found it visually. It was mashed into the sod from Quads driving over it. I must have pushed the bolt release button in while unloading it and the action was so slick the bolt dropped out unnoticed!
It may still be worth going back to find this bolt if the owner knows where he walked when it was lost.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Default Huh

Anyone catch the common theme here?
I want to be the first to start this rumor,
" Don't buy a Tikka or Sako, dang bolts just fall out of them all the time".
Kidding aside, there might be a market for them!
Old 04-02-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Anyone catch the common theme here?
I want to be the first to start this rumor,
" Don't buy a Tikka or Sako, dang bolts just fall out of them all the time".
Kidding aside, there might be a market for them!
The guy had his gun in the case with a box off shells ,the box may have released the bolt no one knows.this isn't a science fiction pile of crap,maybe where your sitting it is,the kid lost his bolt how I don't have clue,maybe something that isn't told right to me.but it has nothing to do with 40 year old gun you plow jockey,someone loses something then it's how can this happen.i asked myself the same thing 50 times,but never went near poor better products or stuff like that,it got lost.human error,human error.human error,the dam shuttle blew up in front of the whole world,i guest it was bad fuel or human error or maybe someone was selling bad parts,do you realize how dumb your comment is,looking for a m695 bolt if you don't have one maybe someone does that wrecked his gun some way,this the first time in my life I heard of something like this,has nothing to do with the gun maker you bag of wind.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
The guy had his gun in the case with a box off shells ,the box may have released the bolt no one knows.this isn't a science fiction pile of crap,maybe where your sitting it is,the kid lost his bolt how I don't have clue,maybe something that isn't told right to me.but it has nothing to do with 40 year old gun you plow jockey,someone loses something then it's how can this happen.i asked myself the same thing 50 times,but never went near poor better products or stuff like that,it got lost.human error,human error.human error,the dam shuttle blew up in front of the whole world,i guest it was bad fuel or human error or maybe someone was selling bad parts,do you realize how dumb your comment is,looking for a m695 bolt if you don't have one maybe someone does that wrecked his gun some way,this the first time in my life I heard of something like this,has nothing to do with the gun maker you bag of wind.
Go easy there, It's all light ribbing... no need to get all upset about it. I'm sure Full Curl Earl didn't mean to offend. Lots of guys just like to kid around.
Did you check with western gun parts for a replacement bolt?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 AM

Pretty sure - in fact I am positive that Full curl Earl was joking!
Cat
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 AM

This gives me an idea for the next gimmick to put on the market, a tether that ties the bolt to the rifle so that you can't lose the bolt. Some people might even buy one.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This gives me an idea for the next gimmick to put on the market, a tether that ties the bolt to the rifle so that you can't lose the bolt. Some people might even buy one.
Reminds me of those idiot strings running down the sleeves of our parkas while on winter exercises that we used to keep our winter mitts from losing them. I'm sure all military on here can relate.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Default Ahhh

Easy JD, I never assumed it was foolish to have lost a bolt, and I was making fun of all the anti Remington stuff that goes on, and was hoping Tikka and Sako could help ease some of the pressure, but maybe not.
And furthermore, that was a Very Long sentence. Lol
If I do come across a bolt I will definitely let you know.

The guy had his gun in the case with a box off shells ,the box may have released the bolt no one knows.this isn't a science fiction pile of crap,maybe where your sitting it is,the kid lost his bolt how I don't have clue,maybe something that isn't told right to me.but it has nothing to do with 40 year old gun you plow jockey,someone loses something then it's how can this happen.i asked myself the same thing 50 times,but never went near poor better products or stuff like that,it got lost.human error,human error.human error,the dam shuttle blew up in front of the whole world,i guest it was bad fuel or human error or maybe someone was selling bad parts,do you realize how dumb your comment is,looking for a m695 bolt if you don't have one maybe someone does that wrecked his gun some way,this the first time in my life I heard of something like this,has nothing to do with the gun maker you bag of wind.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
When I worked part time in sporting goods I dealt with many that had lost bolts. Most have removed bolt for what they thought were safety reasons., Sometime later, often after a few moves and many years, they can not remember where they put the bolt or even remember if the bolt came with them during their last move. Some bought firearms at a super good deal and thought finding a bolt would be no problem. Lost during a hunt? I would be sympathetic but only my excellent inter personal skills would keep me from saying BS
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is no regulation requiring the bolt to be removed for storage or transportation.
You are correct, but there are many that see dismantling is an option.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

When the gun registry was being implemented. lots of bolts removed, and misplaced over time. The older one gets, things seem to move to different places on there own. JD848 as said they are hard to find these bolts. Brandon gun show may be a spot to look.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
You are correct, but there are many that see dismantling is an option.
And most cases of bolts gone missing, are a result of bolts being misplaced while being stored away from the firearm.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 PM

actually to lose a rifle bolt while out hunting is hard to imagine .. I would think losing the whole rifle would be easier... ..people shouldn't hunt and sip ... that guy should stick to levers ...lol
Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Maybe confusion by some members on this thread. The OP is looking for your bolt, not how to find the lost bolt. That boat left the dock.