Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 AM

Default delete

Yesterday I put an add in Kijiji for an upright freezer. This morning I get a text asking if it's still for sale & how much. I'm suspicious for two reasons. 1) The price is clearly in the add. 2) A reverse phone number shows it as a Florida number. Instead of responding I deleted it. My question to fellow AO'ers is this. If they could, how would they scam me? I don't understand what they expect to gain.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM

They would probably ask you do setup a PayPal account so they could send you money via PayPal... I am not totally sure how those scams work, but it is for sure a scam... you did the right thing by deleting the text.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Ah sometimes legit inquiries come across weird. Cash in hand or no deal as far as I'm concerned. I respond to most replies if not all and see where they go. Also if someone brings a bank draft, have them bring the receipt from the teller, as well as the business card for that bank. Always call to confirm that draft is legit as they are scamming with those now too.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

lead them on next time.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM

When selling a car for $4000 on kijiji I would get the out of province ones that would say I only have a bank draft for $10,000 amount then if you can cash it and ship out the item, then wire them back the extra amount.

if you fall for it, it takes a few days for the bank to realize its a fake draft, and your out your item plus the extra cash.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM

I've found out long ago that most people won't read/comprehend more than 3 or 4 sentences in a work related e-mail, don't expect too much out of a Kijiji ad. As for the Florida number, we have people that have norther Alberta and Ontario phone numbers here at work as they couldn't be bothered to change them with today's plans. Don't think it could have hurt to tell them its available and the price. If they want to do paypal, money order, etc., just say no.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't even bother replying. I have bought and sold a lot of different stuff on Kijiji from cars to tools to parts to furniture to clothes. Never once have I had anything positive come about from someone sending a sketchy text from a weird area code # (anything that isn't from Alberta, BC, SK I usually ignore unless it seems serious). Never ship anything and never accept Paypal, basic rules of thumb. If they cannot come and pick it up and pay cash, it is not worth the risk.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

I hate selling stuff on kijiji just because of all the scammers that you have to sift through.

"First person to put the cash in hand gets it."
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 AM

I've noticed a sharp increase in Kijiji scam attempts lately - highly prefer selling on gear specific forums.

I still post thinks on Kijiji, but probably one serious honest buyer out of every 10 inquiries/potential scammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

When you post the ad indicate email only,if they respond set up a phone call.

This eliminated most potential scams?

Kijiji can work but i found it easier with just email contact.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

It's a phishing scam... They link phone #'s to email addresses, try to get home addresses, or other pertinent info.

DO NOT respond, "BLOCK" any future calls or emails.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Default Another Scam or????

Doesn't appear to be anything to worry about yet. I don't ship, or deliver, any mention of PayPal just gets deleted. Kijiji is pretty aggravating lately with the amount of people saying they'll take it and never show.
And not to mention the low ballers. I'm always open to offers when selling but some are ridiculous.
Was offered less than half my asking price for an item a month or so back. My exact reply was "sorry, I'm looking for a bit more. But thanks" and I got a book telling me off in response lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM

When I was selling a vehicle I used to get lots of these messages. I will forward you money, then you ship me the vehicle, blah blah blah. I also got the super low ball offers. I had my vehicle listed for 30000, had offers for 10000, I would respond with 35000.

I think the 1/10 ratio for serious buyers on kijiji may even be a bit high.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 PM

Got another one later on today. This time a reverse look showed the caller in Colorado. Of course they could be anywhere. I can't believe that people actually fall for this stuff!!!! This has been an interesting topic.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Smile How the scam works?

Did you get your answer? If not this is one way BTW I collect these and am even now corresponding with a crook in Benin Africa who wants me to send money via western union. I'm trying for a passport picture (called a trophy).

Any way they say they have a "cashier's cheque" in USD for more money than your fridge or what ever you are selling. Do deposit the cheque in your account and send them the change by some non banking means like western union. The cheque is a forgery and your bank covers the loss out of your funds. No sweat. You keep the fridge.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM

Arrow This;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I've found out long ago that most people won't read/comprehend more than 3 or 4 sentences in a work related e-mail, don't expect too much out of a Kijiji ad. As for the Florida number, we have people that have norther Alberta and Ontario phone numbers here at work as they couldn't be bothered to change them with today's plans. Don't think it could have hurt to tell them its available and the price. If they want to do paypal, money order, etc., just say no.
Amen to that ^

And to eliminate most nuisance calls, just clearly say "Cash & Carry Only" in the first part of the ad.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM

Had a car for sale, asking 3000, a guy called and offered 1000, and wouldn't take off! For an answer, then the little peon comes back and says that he can't do 1000 because he has to help his mom buy tires for her car, so he offered 700, as if his generosity to his mom would make me change my mind about the low ball shot! I kept telling him that he wasn't getting it for 1000 and finally I told him it was already sold, he comes back upset because he thought we had a deal!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Had a car for sale, asking 3000, a guy called and offered 1000, and wouldn't take off! For an answer, then the little peon comes back and says that he can't do 1000 because he has to help his mom buy tires for her car, so he offered 700, as if his generosity to his mom would make me change my mind about the low ball shot! I kept telling him that he wasn't getting it for 1000 and finally I told him it was already sold, he comes back upset because he thought we had a deal!
I fully believe a lot of those types are flippers. They beat you to a pulp then turn around and flip it. When I inquire about a used vehicle the first question I ask is how long they have had it.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 PM

I was selling a car for only 1000 and a guy emailed me and offered me 100 with a sob story about helping a single mother of 5 with kids all under 7 to get her a car to get her kids to the doctor. I bit the scam and said it wouldn't work because it's a standard and won't fit 6. His response was she didn't have to take all her kids at once. I wonder which kid under 7 would sit at home?

With the same car I had two guys show up and were checking out the neighbors black car of a different make and not my red car. Then they called me and I had to say I am right outside your truck and your at the wrong car. The passenger literally fell out trying to get out he was so drunk. Then offered me 50 bucks and he could take it away right then.... yah no.