Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Best bullet for a shoulder shot on Elk

Yes I know the perfect shot thru the lungs .. have seen that , but still gotta ask the question ....
What's your pick ... what's worked for you ... what grain and type ? does it matter ? 338 win mag 225 grain or the 7-08 with a 140 grainer .. SO the elk of a lifetime walks out at say 350 yards .. Are you comfortable shooting your rifle ? and with what ? at any angle ?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Grew up watching dad put 175 power point out of 7mm rem through the shoulders of 2 dozen elk and few moose,my only rifle shot elk had no issues at 327 with 7mm rem and 150 grand slam. I always aim for shoulders on elk except archery huntinf
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM

A good quality bullet. TSX, Nosler partition or accubond. Lots of choices out there. Lost an elk once with a winchester silvertip. I figure it blew up on the shoulder. Yes cheaper bullets work but to lose an elk because of a bullet hurts. I shoot either 30-06 or 300 wsm. Always use 180 or 200 grain. Still have some winchester failsafe bullets. Awesome.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM

If that range was reduced to 300 yd I would be using a 250 gr Nosler partition out of my .35 Whelen ai . At 350 yds, I have to pass.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
Yes I know the perfect shot thru the lungs .. have seen that , but still gotta ask the question ....
What's your pick ... what's worked for you ... what grain and type ? does it matter ? 338 win mag 225 grain or the 7-08 with a 140 grainer .. SO the elk of a lifetime walks out at say 350 yards .. Are you comfortable shooting your rifle ? and with what ? at any angle ?
First, I don't do long range.
Second, I don't hunt Elk.
Third, I don't shoot shoulders.
Fourth, I don't shoot at any angle, that's just dumb.
Fifth, learn to hit what you aim at first, then worry about which bullet is best, because by then you'll know.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I passed on the largest mule deer of my life because I couldn't make the shot- the irons covered too much of its body .
Didn't bother me in the least
As far as elk and shoulders go , I have seen three go down cleanly with 180 grain power points out of an '06.
I don't shoot Winchester power points however , a friend shot them
Cat
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Fifth, learn to hit what you aim at first, then worry about which bullet is best, because by then you'll know.
the hunting god has spoken.

smarten up and pay attention.

you are doing everything wrong.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I don't know keg..... many times I purposely angled a shot on moose to put it down in a hurry due to it standing near water.

Quartering away shot enough to hit lungs/clip heart and in line with opposite leg . A well constructed bullet like GMX no issues.

Also have shot moose low in hump and they drop on the spot. Again when risk of water retrieval. Lol

There is nothing wrong with long range as long as it's practiced in off season. I practice enough for 400 yard shots with confidence.

Looking very much forward to hunting with my new 338win mag this year and going to practice hard with the CDS dial on the leupold VXR firedot. My 270 win is plenty... but that 338wm man alive! Love it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
the hunting god has spoken.

smarten up and pay attention.

you are doing everything wrong.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM

I choose my bullet based on the worst possible shot presentation that I would shoot under, rather than the best possible shot, as quite often, the perfect shot opportunity just doesn't present itself. I find that the Barnes monometal bullets, the TTSX/TSX have worked well in every situation that I have encountered.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 AM

When did 350 yds become long range? For elk or any game at 350 yds plus I would go with a 215 Berger out of a 300 Win Mag. But if your shots will likely all be under 300 yds then as suggested maybe go with a bonded or all copper bullet.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
When did 350 yds become long range? For elk or any game at 350 yds plus I would go with a 215 Berger out of a 300 Win Mag. But if your shots will likely all be under 300 yds then as suggested maybe go with a bonded or all copper bullet.

If you spend any amount of time at a range , and watch people shooting 300 yards/meters, you will soon see why many people consider 350 yards to be long range.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Most cartridges need holdover at 330 yards. Some people will only shoot to the max point blank range of their cartridge and its very straight forward shooting. No measurements or calculations required. The wind is hardly involved. Its focus more on how to actually hunt than to dominate the countryside with your gadgets and math skills.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Most cartridges need holdover at 330 yards. Some people will only shoot to the max point blank range of their cartridge and its very straight forward shooting. No measurements or calculations required. The wind is hardly involved. Its focus more on how to actually hunt than to dominate the countryside with your gadgets and math skills.
Wind is ALWAYS a factor, especially if it is blowing !
Cat
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Angling shots are my preference. They do more damage.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Id say a Nosler partition or Barnes TTSX or TXS are good choices for elk. Berger bullets have done well for me on deer. I like shoulder shots mainly because I don't like tracking or follow up shots if i can avoid it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM

The wind is always the enemy, but it sure is less involved at close range compared to longer range.

10 mph cross wind

100y 1 inch
200y 4 inches
300y 9 inches
400y 16 inches
500y 25 inches
600y 36 inches
700y 49 inches

Unsure of the actual speed of the wind and it is horrible to correct for. And unless you have a wind gadget out there along the way, its hard to know if its a 6mph wind or a 10 or 13mph wind. It takes a lot of studying to be able to read the grass or whatever else for knowing the speed. These super high BC calibers might defeat the wind a bit better, but not in a magical way, maybe 5-10% less drift. At 400 yards they still get pushed off target completely.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned

Shot a 6x bull elk at about 320 yards with a .270 Win using a factory load 140 grn BearClaw bullet ,

Upon the shot , the bull stumbled in a 360 degree circle and dropped, this took about 3 seconds,
I was already lined up on him for another shot ,

After gutting the bull, it was clear the 140 grn bullet had broken/ punched thru both front shoulders, and stopped against the hide on the far side,

The bullet had mushroomed to about 50 caliber, it still weighed 129 grn when I put it on the reloading scales that night ,,,

I have shot a couple of bull elk at similar distance with my .338 Win Mag, mostly using .225 grn Hornady psp Handloads ,

The certainty of a dead elk was pretty much the same result,
2broken shoulders, bullet at far side near the skin , only the 225 Hornady psp bullet mushrooms to about 70 caliber and weighs 180 - 190 grns,

I am sure there way more expensive bullets that kill Elk much more deader than that,,,,,
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I punch the lungs first if able to, if given a second shot the shoulders get punched, like a angle shot if given a preference, lungs and opposit shoulder.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM

I guess I won't comment on here when questions of shots over 100 yds come up. Tired of getting flamed. You go ahead and hold over for your shots. I'll use all the tools I got to make a accurate shot. I don't know the OP skills or others. I assume they have the skills for the shots they ask about and give my opinion. That's what forums are for right?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I don't know keg..... many times I purposely angled a shot on moose to put it down in a hurry due to it standing near water.

Quartering away shot enough to hit lungs/clip heart and in line with opposite leg . A well constructed bullet like GMX no issues.

Also have shot moose low in hump and they drop on the spot. Again when risk of water retrieval. Lol

There is nothing wrong with long range as long as it's practiced in off season. I practice enough for 400 yard shots with confidence.

Looking very much forward to hunting with my new 338win mag this year and going to practice hard with the CDS dial on the leupold VXR firedot. My 270 win is plenty... but that 338wm man alive! Love it.
There are angled shots that work and some that don't.

I know people who CAN make long range shots and shots from strange angles, and I have no doubt that you can.

I don't recommend such shots, because there are people who can't make them but think they can or that they should be able to.

Same reason I'm against big bore rifles. I know people who love them and are good with them, I know others who seem to think they are a necessity but that can't handle the recoil.

Really I have nothing against any of the things I listed, what I am against is the idea that such things are the way it ought to be, or has to be.

And I'm against the idea that any shot is worth trying, to put a trophy on the wall.

A trophy is more about skill and hard work then size of horn.

A good shot is more about knowing ones own abilities and what works then about hail Mary shots with the latest and greatest.

I've tracked too many wounded animals shot by people who couldn't handle the weapon in hand.
I've seen too many flinch when they pulled the trigger.

We have no issue with a woman hunting with a .243. Why?

Why would we recommend such a cartridge for a woman but not for a man?
If it works for her why not for men?

That is what I am against. I am against testosterone deciding what we should shoot and how we should shoot.

I'm against beginners thinking that they will be ridiculed if they shoot what is comfortable for them or that they have to make long range shots from odd angles in order to be accepted into the fraternity of "real hunters".

I'm against the idea that a large set of antlers warrant sacrificing ethical hunting and compliance with the law.

You and I are about the same size and weight. From talking to you and seeing they way you handle yourself, I have no doubt you can handle that .338 with ease.
I can not, they make me flinch and I don't mind admitting it.

That's what gets me going, it's that no one seems to want to admit that they can't make those long range shots or Texas heart shots. Or that they shoot an old rifle or a smaller cartridge.

Frankly, you are not the average hunter. There are a good many out there that are still learning or simply don't have the ability or don't have the body mass or tolerance to pain.

I want them to know that I for one am more impressed with common sense and honesty then with the size or price of the rifle they carry.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

338 210 ttsx. Don't seem to matter.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:

We have no issue with a woman hunting with a .243. Why?

Why would we recommend such a cartridge for a woman but not for a man?
If it works for her why not for men?

That is what I am against. I am against testosterone deciding what we should shoot and how we should shoot.
Because women are better shots
Old 03-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
fair enough if you don't know or aren't comfortable .. that's why I asked the questions in that scenario .. others can give there experiences and thoughts too ...what you see as dumb is your choice , keep it ....
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM

Default Lots of good ones out there

Lots of good ones out there, but give me a 7 Rem Mag with a 160gr Partition and I'll be BBQing you an elk steak in short order. Don't care that much about angling toward or away. If I'm 350 yards away, I have lots of time to set up my bog pod and squeeze off a good one. No extra testosterone required.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you spend any amount of time at a range , and watch people shooting 300 yards/meters, you will soon see why many people consider 350 yards to be long range.
No kidding. 350, under field conditions is a long poke for 99% of the hunting population. I bet most still sight in the week before, if at all. Add to that, most would be happy just to shoot the same bullet weight, and maybe the same manufacturer of ammo.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
fair enough if you don't know or aren't comfortable .. that's why I asked the questions in that scenario .. others can give there experiences and thoughts too ...what you see as dumb is your choice , keep it ....
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Stick with Partitions, bonded bullets or mono metals. I have seen many poor results with conventional bullets on tough shots, the worst being Winchester power point 200's from a 338 Win Mag (about 6" of penetration on elk shoulder).
In my area we often need to drop elk where they stand or risk tough tracking or recovery. I have used the "TV shot" a few times - high shoulder/spine junction and it worked very well.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Back in the day, my elk kills have been granted by Speer Grandslam bullets out of my 7mmREM. Then I figured that I needed a bigger gun (no idea why), so I switched to a .338RM, got a couple of bulls with .225 gr bullets. It all went well, no problem. One day, I purchased a Marlin Lever in .444 Marlin. I went with this caliber to be a bit different, every one and their uncle owned a 45-70. Long story shortened, on a windy day, my bud and I loaded up the horses and took them out for a hike. This gun was new to me and I wanted to get some blood on it. A 90 yard shot (relatively short). The bull went down after being struck with a 265 gr. flat point bullet travelling at a mere 2100 fps out of the muzzle. Likely, one of my most memorable hunts as I was not expecting to connect with a nice 5x5 bull.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 PM

IF you hunt where it's wide open then you can choose more your shot more carefully,but I hunt near water, swamps and lots of underbrush so like it or not most of my shots are drop on the spot higher up shots,you have to practice ,be very confident in yourself plus your rifle and just pick your killing piont,i would use a 300 wsm or 7mm re mag with 180 or 160 accubond or partition,75 percent are all higher shots for me,so the only thing that would make me stop would be the wind,350 and a heavy wind is time to get closer ,for me it's just another nice animal and wish never to hurt one so I know my limitations very well .
Longer angled shots are part of hunting so sometimes that's the shot you have and you put it down.If there is one ounce of thought that things could go wrong back off,your not ready at all to do this,a good memory is better than any nightmare.Plus 350 yards to most guys is a long way out,to others it's just another shot,but they got that way from experience and all have at least one nightmare and this is why they better themselves never to experience this again.