Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Stock or chassis?

Planning upgrading the factory stock on my rifle in the future. I've long considered a couple of Bell & Carlson and McMillan models for this, but recently have been looking at chassis systems. MDT is Canadian and has my eye right now - the LSS platform looks attractive.

So I'm going in eyes-open, what should I know ahead of time about a chassis-based approach vs. inletting & bedding a polymer or laminate stock?
Old 02-11-2017, 02:47 PM

I have a MDT - LSS right now and love it. I can't compare to any of the high end stocks though as I have never owned one of them.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:59 PM

I'm not a chassis sort of guy, as the sight of them effects me worse than maggots on meat.
I'd go with a more conventional stock, but that's just me.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
I have a MDT - LSS right now and love it. I can't compare to any of the high end stocks though as I have never owned one of them.
Thanks C & C. What furniture did you have on before the LSS? Did you notice any improvement with the v-block system? Prevailing wisdom it's supposed to be better than a factory stock but on-par or slightly less beneficial to accuracy than a properly done bedding job.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:19 PM

I just received a MDT Tac 21 and the build quality is impeccable. I am installing a 7mm STW in it and MDT was so good to deal with. They sent me two of their mags for free to experiment with.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Call me old and stupid but i dont understand the purpose of putting a chassis on a rifle other than the tacticool look.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Call me old and stupid but i dont understand the purpose of putting a chassis on a rifle other than the tacticool look.
Well, not gonna call you either old or stupid, but the big advantages as I understand them are engineered accuracy, drop-in convenience & modularity. You could take your Savage short action Model 11 in .22-250 and drop it into the chassis for that action, tighten down the two action screws and you're off to go. A <2 min operation. Later on that session, you could pull the stock off your Model 16 in .308 & swap it out on the chassis just as easily. The v-block system is supposed to offer accuracy results much better than an unmodified factory stock and similar to (but not quite as good as) a properly done bedding job. But, with one tool you can swap out various barreled actions onto the platform and enjoy that same accuracy on the one system. So, to our list of advantages I suppose we could add 'cost' - while a single chassis system might run higher than a single stock, factoring in that a bedded stock is now restricted to that one action/barrel, it really decreases the overall stocking cost across a group of rifles.

That all said, I can see the general opinion on aesthetic appeal - the tactical look is definitely an acquired taste.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I just received a MDT Tac 21 and the build quality is impeccable. I am installing a 7mm STW in it and MDT was so good to deal with. They sent me two of their mags for free to experiment with.
Thanks Jayhad. Any curveballs with the switchover, or did it go smoothly? Ya, I hear MDT has great customer support. Love that they're Canadian.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 PM

It's comes down to what you like. I've had the opportunity to shoot both a newer AI and Cadex rifles with there factory chassis stocks. I prefer a McMillan A5 style or a TRG 22 type stock. Not a fan of pistol grip, buts that's me. I like the quick adjustment features of the chassis design but really once my rifle is set the way I like I won't change it.

If possible try and handle different stock styles to see what you would like better.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Thanks hogie. That's kind of what got me started with the chassis' - I had the occasion to shoot an AX338 recently and was surprised how much I liked the format. First time I shot a pistol grip too, I think.

To get my hands one to try, looks like the only MDT dealer in Alberta's up in Edmonton @ Phoenix?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Cadex is a Canadian company as well. They have some nice chassis stocks for different rifles. Coming out with a new design that looks interesting as well. Strike nuke I think is what it's called. They are more than than MDT but are very nice stocks as well. P&D has them and I think Red Deer shooting center as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Good point - Cadex is in the running too (and Canadian!). Very nice stuff, bit spendy tho'.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Good point - Cadex is in the running too (and Canadian!). Very nice stuff, bit spendy tho'.
Have the Cadex Guardian Lite and I have no regrets, everything I could ask in terms of adjustability to make it feel like the rifle was built only for me. The only con is weight; if it could shave 2.5 lbs it would be the perfect rifle imo.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Thanks Jayhad. Any curveballs with the switchover, or did it go smoothly? Ya, I hear MDT has great customer support. Love that they're Canadian.
No problems, it was my first time working a chassis so it was time consuming and getting the trigger assembly in was finicky but with a couple more change outs I will become more proficient. Once I receive my action and barrel back I will post pics and you are welcome to check it out.

My only issue is the mag, but I'm using a calibre they don't produce a mag for.... so not really an issue.