Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Beaver Price

Are Beavers worth anything these days? What were you guys getting for them at auction? I don't plan on trapping any, but I have never seen so many in my life. The area I grew up in has beavers in just about every little slough this year.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Beavers are at a historic low...5 to 10$ average
Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 PM

The Castor and carcass for baiting are worth more than the hide....Tanning prices are also way up
Old 11-16-2016, 08:58 AM

I like the quote a fellow made couple months back, " Beaver are not worth the wood they chew" That is why they are everywhere chewing all the trees on most creeks. Just as already mentioned only decent money is castor and bear bait in spring.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Default illegal logger's

just set a bunch of traps at the local golf course,the bait will come in handy,but ill put every part to use for sure,cheers
Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Banned

One of the reasons that there seems to be so many beaver this year may be because trappers like myself are waiting until they prime and catch them under ice when they are worth something. I've told numerous landowners that I'd trap them for free once they prime up, otherwise, I would need to be compensated for my expenses.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
One of the reasons that there seems to be so many beaver this year may be because trappers like myself are waiting until they prime and catch them under ice when they are worth something. I've told numerous landowners that I'd trap them for free once they prime up, otherwise, I would need to be compensated for my expenses.
Any landowners offer to pony up the $5 difference in price?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-16-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Omg that's hilarious!!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Omg that's hilarious!!
Remember guys that the auction isn't the only place to market your fur. Those adirondack beaver blankets sell for a few thousand dollars at SCI and DSC every year. Beaver mits are a couple hundred bucks and the hats aren't cheap either.

Nobody wants to trap wolves for auction prices either, but when I sell them to Americans all of a sudden it doesn't sound so bad.

The last thing I would be doing is knocking another trapper because he only wants to harvest prime pelts, regardless if you think beaver are a waste of time or not.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Any landowners offer to pony up the $5 difference in price?
Lol. Yeah, the price for beaver at auction is pretty brutal. The only thing worth anything to me on a summer beaver is the caster because the fur is pretty much worthless and there aren't many bear hunters looking to buy the carcasses. Without the fur and carcass, what I can get for the castor wouldn't even cover my fuel costs. I give the landowner the option of paying $50 per beaver now or wait until the Beavers prime and I'll trap them for free. Sometimes you can get lucky and catch a beaver that gets labeled and worth $30.

Everyone has opted for the free trapping service.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Interested in Beaver Carcasses

If you end up with some beaver carcasses I am interested in them.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

The age old story for some of us....Buy HI, sell LO.
Wouldn't you know it, I have to hit them hard this year on my line, as in damage control to maintain access to my cabin. It is, what it is...
For reasons unknown to me, I still like doing beav.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM

I take a few to keep numbers from getting too high and disease spreading and what not. But with prices low it is important for me to part out the whole beaver.
$12 pelt, $15 castor, $20 carcass

$25 average beaver and top lot $75 would be nice
Old 02-03-2017, 03:58 PM

I still like doing beav. Me Too!!!!
Anyhow- Where is this area with lots of sloughs with Beavers. When you do higher volumes and after you utilize the caster, carcass and fur, it is still worth it for me to be out and about. It also adds a couple of weeks to my season (fall and spring) and adds to total numbers of furs sent to auction.

And Trapping is not paying my mortgage and kids universities, But it is buying me toys!!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
I still like doing beav. Me Too!!!!
Anyhow- Where is this area with lots of sloughs with Beavers. When you do higher volumes and after you utilize the caster, carcass and fur, it is still worth it for me to be out and about. It also adds a couple of weeks to my season (fall and spring) and adds to total numbers of furs sent to auction.

And Trapping is not paying my mortgage and kids universities, But it is buying me toys!!
Cool. Glad you can do well

I'm a recreational trapper. Junior on a line. Hope to be proficient and acquire my own line in another 20 years ...or less....
Retire and hopefully still be spry enough to put in a few decades doing what I love.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm with you guys. Been putting them up and freezing them hope it's the right thing to do. Nothing prettier than a midwinter fully prime well put up beaver pelt. They don't stink and are a pleasure to skin if you know the tricks. Made a killing on them in 1996 and 1997 if I remember correctly. Just can't sell a pelt for 20 bucks when I got top lots and 95 dollars for the same beaver. They still need to be controlled more than any other fur bearer. Especially in farmland.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 AM

I apologize in advance for totally highjacking this thread...
I find trapping incredibly interesting but don't know much about it. What causes the significant decreases in the value of certain types of fur?
Is it increased supply (fur farms, etc.) or is it just change in market demand based on fashion trends and what not?
Which countries are buying the bulk of the furs harvested by us in Canada?
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Fashion trend plays a big factor in fur prices. Also the volume of fur from mink and fox fur farms in Eastern Canada set fur prices for muskrat and beaver etc.
The two biggest buyer countries are China and Russia followed by Korea etc.