Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Just got back from the Tire in High River. They have at least 6 in stock. $199.99.
I must sheepishly admit to having purchased one myself. There are so many clients that want them bedded into an ATI plastic stock, having scope mounts on the wobbly bolt guard etc. that I felt that I needed to learn the mechanics of them and shoot them. Since then, I've sold it to some tacticool dude and never wished for another. I suppose that if you like a spray gun and are happy with that, the more power to you.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

I have to admit, I had fun shooting one when I went to the range with a buddy. My son wants one because they are fun to shoot. But I have other firearms that I personally find more fun to shoot. Will I shoot one again? I'm sure I will. Will I buy one, I highly doubt it.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I have to admit, I had fun shooting one when I went to the range with a buddy. My son wants one because they are fun to shoot. But I have other firearms that I personally find more fun to shoot. Will I shoot one again? I'm sure I will. Will I buy one, I highly doubt it.
Who once said that "only accurate guns are interesting" ? I think that it is elkhunter11, and I totally agree with him. All else are spray guns and you can buy a spray can for 5 bucks. Seriously, think about the exiliration of placing 5 rounds touching versus 5 rounds in a 9" pie plate. Pfffft?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I must sheepishly admit to having purchased one myself. There are so many clients that want them bedded into an ATI plastic stock, having scope mounts on the wobbly bolt guard etc. that I felt that I needed to learn the mechanics of them and shoot them. Since then, I've sold it to some tacticool dude and never wished for another. I suppose that if you like a spray gun and are happy with that, the more power to you.
The ones at the Tire were behind glass so I did not examine them up close. That is just as well as I do not think I could handle the smell of one fresh out of the display.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
The ones at the Tire were behind glass so I did not examine them up close. That is just as well as I do not think I could handle the smell of one fresh out of the display.
Behind glass or not, they're still an SKS spray gun. Admitedly, they do function well and very seldom jam up. It's just the paper target result that makes me puke a little.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who once said that "only accurate guns are interesting" ? I think that it is elkhunter11, and I totally agree with him. All else are spray guns and you can buy a spray can for 5 bucks. Seriously, think about the exiliration of placing 5 rounds touching versus 5 rounds in a 9" pie plate. Pfffft?
Exactly. My 22lr, a Remington 597 HB is pretty accurate and I can slam 10+rounds out of it as fast as I want. It's still way cheaper to shoot too. Now if I could only convince Chase of that. Lol
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Behind glass or not, they're still an SKS spray gun. Admitedly, they do function well and very seldom jam up. It's just the paper target result that makes me puke a little.
Some of us think that at times there is more to a gun than the ability to score on paper. Kinda like owning an old car, gas mileage sucks, just a lot of fun.

Grizz
Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Actually it was Townsend Whelen (Townie) who is most famous for saying that and his saying was:

"only accurate rifles are interesting"
Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Some of us think that at times there is more to a gun than the ability to score on paper. Kinda like owning an old car, gas mileage sucks, just a lot of fun.

Grizz
You make a good point. Fun is a most important element of anything we do in our leisure time. Burning a lot of ammo and making a lot of noise is a lot of fun. That is what an SKS can provide at a reasonable price.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM

I shot 5 rounds out of a SKS reminded me of the old typewriters where you had to push the keys really hard, the bolt slamming shut almost made the same sound. I did have trouble seeing the sights, next time I'll cut the eye holes in the paper bag a little larger.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Just got back from the Tire in High River. They have at least 6 in stock. $199.99.
Beauty! Guess I'll take a drive on Saturday, thanks!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 PM

I don't know if I just really lucked out when I had mine but it was not that bad accuracy wise.
No tack driver by any means but you can Nail a popcan 8- 9 out of 10 times on average when blasting offhand relatively quick at 100 paces.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Beauty! Guess I'll take a drive on Saturday, thanks!
Glad to have you shop in our area but there is no Beauty Pageant here. Bring a Bag
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Glad to have you shop in our area but there is no Beauty Pageant here. Bring a Bag
Was home for me for close to 8 years, I've dated one or two of those pageant contestants!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
You make a good point. Fun is a most important element of anything we do in our leisure time. Burning a lot of ammo and making a lot of noise is a lot of fun. That is what an SKS can provide at a reasonable price.
Sure, depends on your idea of fun. When making noise and burning ammo, I kinda like to have a general idea as to where the projectile landed.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM

They are here to stay as well as plenty of surplus ammo from European countries. I believe North Slyvia is importing or making a rifle with an sks reciever/internals and a aluminum chassis. Neat!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCalm View Post
They are here to stay as well as plenty of surplus ammo from European countries. I believe North Slyvia is importing or making a rifle with an sks reciever/internals and a aluminum chassis. Neat!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
One of the big draws of the SKS is that they were cheap! If anyone is making or manufacturing them, I am not sure they will be able to do so at near the low price point as the refurbs.

Spoke to the gun guy at the HR Tire and he told me they have about 18 in stock.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM

I should probably grab another, one for each kid.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Crap tire 220
Old 02-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Oh they're out there! sometimes you have to hunt to find one with all matching numbers- mine are all pretty much matching numbers apart from the mags on some. (all Russian)

A really good condition Yugo is still on my list!
Old 02-11-2017, 05:25 PM

The SKS is the modern day Lee Enfield and if you do the math with inflation indexing they are likely priced the same as your 20 dollar Enfield from Army Navy. I think everybody should own a few to give out to the grandkids in 50 years. Good looking and cheep gun for home security. Excellent gun to hone your accurizing skills with too. A bedding job with a little upward pressure on the barrel perks them right up.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1 View Post
The SKS is the modern day Lee Enfield and if you do the math with inflation indexing they are likely priced the same as your 20 dollar Enfield from Army Navy. I think everybody should own a few to give out to the grandkids in 50 years. Good looking and cheep gun for home security. Excellent gun to hone your accurizing skills with too. A bedding job with a little upward pressure on the barrel perks them right up.
double tap.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
For home security? Good looking? Modern day Lee Enfield?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
For home security? Good looking? Modern day Lee Enfield?
Nope, nope, and, ummm, NOPE!
Cat
Old 02-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
For home security? NOT IN CANADA
Good looking? OH YEAH BABY IT IS!!!!
Modern day Lee Enfield? Probably not and not even trying to be. It is a totally different gun. It is a very fun gun and cheap to feed.
Accuracy is always questionable and depends on a few things- the shooter and the condition of the gun. But I do know a hunter who is using it for a big game hunt with the appropriate ammo and took a few deers with it and a moose this year. From about 90 meters.
But one thing you can't argue - there is no other semi auto Center fired rifle you can buy for $200 that will be super reliable and so fun to shoot.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM

The SKS is priced and regarded like the Lee Enfield used to be. A garbage gun is the general consensus. How many countries issued the Lee Enfield? How many countries issued the SKS? I sure wouldn't mind owning a bunch of Enfields valued around 800 when they were selling for 20 bucks back in the day. They are 500 in the States because that's what they are worth. Canada just has a oversupply right now. Improper cleaning will take care of that situation in a hurry. LOL
Old 02-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I think you meant to post this in the "funny things heard at gun counter" thread
Old 02-11-2017, 10:57 PM

Default SKS Accuracy

I don't understand the negativity around the SKS regarding accuracy. These are awesome off hand and from a sand bag shooting a Clay pigeon at 100 yds. Probably 8 out of 10 times and cheap to shoot. Way more fun than punching paper I think anyways. To each their own.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:19 PM

I had a sks because my son wanted one. I shot it and it's accuracy and reliablelity was ok considering it looks like monkey's made it. I have yet see anyone actually do anything that requires any sort of shooting skill with one of them. Other than act like Rambo. Oh and pick up your empty cases SKS
Guys your leaving a mess.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 AM

SKS shooters often give themselves a bad rep at rural gun clubs because they rarely pick up their spent cases. Gives other members a reason to look down their nose at SKS owners, and somehow adds negativity to the rifle itself.
They're no more inaccurate than most handguns,really, in most hands.
I bought one just to tinker with.