Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default Is the SKS gone?

So here I am hunting some hogs and deer in Texas when I decide to just see if the price of guns goes up in Alberta since I've been gone. I check a few stores for the SKS and boom! Not available. Is this a sign the Russians are going to use them against us now?! Joking; but honestly, they are banned in the USA and not available in many retailers for under $300 scares me.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 AM

I have no clue what you are going on about.

Canadian Tire
P & D
Trade Ex
Canada Ammo.
And every gun show I've been to have quite a few of them available.

Save the foil for cooking and leftovers.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 AM

They had an open crate of them at Calgary Shooting Centre a few days ago to choose from. They still seem available everyone lately from what I've seen.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Ya gotta look harder...crappy tire etc has a bunch all ready for the Russian invasion

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Supposedly, some Chinese arriving. Putin is on the bad boy list .

Grizz
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Odd, I will need to look when I come back. But wholesale and cabelas no longer have them on their website so I don't know. I know they always had them the cheapest for $180
Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Default US

Banned in the States ? I was watching "Mountain Men " last night on TV and Eustace Conway was using a SKS to shoot his organic hogs.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 AM

SKS....synonymous to breasts on a boar

LC
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Cabelas sold out of all their stock on black friday when they had them on sale for $180. Not sure if they will get stock again.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Banned in the States ? I was watching "Mountain Men " last night on TV and Eustace Conway was using a SKS to shoot his organic hogs.
They are banned. The few million that made it before Clinton made them illegal are still used and you can get accessories but no longer can you buy an SKS in a store as easily as you can buy a AR-15. They laugh at me when I go to the gun stores in Texas.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post

They are banned. The few million that made it before Clinton made them illegal are still used and you can get accessories but no longer can you buy an SKS in a store as easily as you can buy a AR-15. They laugh at me when I go to the gun stores in Texas.
It seems hard to decipher whether or not they're all banned, or just Chi-com stuff...

Who (in the U.S.) cares about crusty ole' SKS's anyway ? The AK is far superior...

Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 AM

St. Albert's The Shootist has some Russian ones in stock;

http://www.shootist.ab.ca/drif44.html
Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 PM

Is anybody seeing any good pricing? I always meant to pick one or two up back when they were, $180, but never did. Not sure I want to pay $250+/- for something that I don't want half of. . .
Old 01-02-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Odd, I will need to look when I come back. But wholesale and cabelas no longer have them on their website so I don't know. I know they always had them the cheapest for $180
The story I heard from WSS management in Calgary was that the firearm and the bulk ammo was increasingly difficult to get because of some trade embargo against Russia. Don't know if that is true.

I would probably buy one if I got a whole bunch of free ammo. Who doesn't like burning a lot of powder and making a lot of noise

I would need rubber gloves and a mask. Handling an SKS is sort of like handling a fresh turd!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM

I have an acquaintance who imports them and this is what he told me a year ago, as best as I can remember:

they ran out of stored russian ones, and now only have issued and refurbed ones, as well as ones from other soviet states (like Yugoslavia), which are not in great condition usually. Simply put, the supply of easily accessed and mass-stored government owned ones has run dry. There are still many out there and coming into Canada, but they're not as readily available or as good.

I got a handpicked SKS from the Cabelas sale, russian. It's a refurb, non-original parts, reblued after it rusted in one or two cosmetic places, but the bore is still good and it shoots and functions wonderfully. The bolt shroud (or whatever the real name for the part behind the bolt which covers it when it's locked back) is not original, nor is the gas piston.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Is anybody seeing any good pricing? I always meant to pick one or two up back when they were, $180, but never did. Not sure I want to pay $250+/- for something that I don't want half of. . .
Canadian Tire in High River has a few priced at $199.00. That was a few days ago. I don't know if Flys has any.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I The AK is far superior...

Where did you come up with info?
The only benefit the AK has is the removable mag, beside's that the SKS is inherently a more accurate rifle. The SKS has a machined receiver where the AK is stamped steel.

Just one of the many articles stating as much.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...lian-shooters/
Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I have an acquaintance who imports them and this is what he told me a year ago, as best as I can remember:

they ran out of stored russian ones, and now only have issued and refurbed ones, as well as ones from other soviet states (like Yugoslavia), which are not in great condition usually. Simply put, the supply of easily accessed and mass-stored government owned ones has run dry. There are still many out there and coming into Canada, but they're not as readily available or as good.

I got a handpicked SKS from the Cabelas sale, russian. It's a refurb, non-original parts, reblued after it rusted in one or two cosmetic places, but the bore is still good and it shoots and functions wonderfully. The bolt shroud (or whatever the real name for the part behind the bolt which covers it when it's locked back) is not original, nor is the gas piston.
I would say that isnt correct info as I have heard more than once from many people that they didn't run dry. They just don't want to export as many, and Canada doesn't want to import so that the wholesalers here can make a bit of money like the gas stations when they would jump the pice by 20 cents over night and slowly put it down again. The Yugo ones I hear are better and rarer. I know that the Polish ones are really rare and sought after as well. You can easily obtain the SKS in Europe, so that would add up with the " drying up" theory.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Many of the imported ones originated from stockpiles in ukraine. Those were put into active service when crimea was invaded.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Not long-gone by any stretch. I bought one about this time last year for the heck of it, paid $229 + tax and it's a 1954 Russian/refurb. Clean gun, almost new condition metal really and the bore looks perfect. Stock was a typical, dinged-up looking solid wood one and the whole thing was coated in goose grease. lol

I only ever run non-corrosive through mine, and mostly as a "fun gun" for my kids (and friends) to use on our neighbor's farm. I've often considered getting a nice Chinese one (they look better) but have heard from a few people who tell me they're not as accurate as the Russians. (which isn't saying much) Still, fun guns..and an interesting part of history.

Oh...and that AK theory is an interesting one, but I have a hard time imagining it's a better gun than an SKS. I mean..I'd prefer to have an AK for the "wow/cool" factor..but stamped parts vs. machined ones?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Not long-gone by any stretch. I bought one about this time last year for the heck of it, paid $229 + tax and it's a 1954 Russian/refurb. Clean gun, almost new condition metal really and the bore looks perfect. Stock was a typical, dinged-up looking solid wood one and the whole thing was coated in goose grease. lol

I only ever run non-corrosive through mine, and mostly as a "fun gun" for my kids (and friends) to use on our neighbor's farm. I've often considered getting a nice Chinese one (they look better) but have heard from a few people who tell me they're not as accurate as the Russians. (which isn't saying much) Still, fun guns..and an interesting part of history.

Oh...and that AK theory is an interesting one, but I have a hard time imagining it's a better gun than an SKS. I mean..I'd prefer to have an AK for the "wow/cool" factor..but stamped parts vs. machined ones?
Should see my stamped SKS, right down to the receiver. Nothing wrong with stamped parts and more efficient, manufacture wise.

Grizz
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Canadian Tire in High River has a few priced at $199.00. That was a few days ago. I don't know if Flys has any.
Thanks for the heads up, will check that out! I'm overdue to pop in and say hi to Udo anyways!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:37 AM

If you mean theres no sks in the states i think there was a trade problem with russia. I know the ak's where afected couldnt tell you how though. If you mean up here in alberta i cant say i have seen any myself for quite a while.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:05 PM

There is a U.S. trade embargo on Russian firearms because of the Ukraine/Crimea stuff, same in Canada. No Russian milsurp allowed, or ammo, or components or sporting guns , either. That is why you don't see new Baikal on the shelf and Wolf primers and etc., here or stateside, except for what was already around at the time, and there isn't a lot of that left.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
There is a U.S. trade embargo on Russian firearms because of the Ukraine/Crimea stuff, same in Canada. No Russian milsurp allowed, or ammo, or components or sporting guns , either. That is why you don't see new Baikal on the shelf and Wolf primers and etc., here or stateside, except for what was already around at the time, and there isn't a lot of that left.
and I for one am going to resist the urge to buy any of the stuff that is left
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM

I bought an SKS and crate of ammo on Nov.20/15 to cheer myself up the day after election result and before Shiny Pony Turdo deems them a menace to public safety and the jackboot thugs at CFC decide to ban them.
14 months later and thus far I've been uninspired to shoot a single round thru it or even clean off the Cosmosnot....but wtf,that might just save me the trouble of having to grease it up before I'm forced to relocate it to it's new PVC underground home?

FWIW,yes you can buy SKS in USA but they command a rediculous premium,iirc they regularily sell south of the border for $500+ USD
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM

dang. i really want to buy a Russian SKS.
Holding out hope that the big 3 will get some more in stock
Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Just lots of firearms made in Turkey being imported.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I bought an SKS and crate of ammo on Nov.20/15 to cheer myself up the day after election result and before Shiny Pony Turdo deems them a menace to public safety and the jackboot thugs at CFC decide to ban them.
14 months later and thus far I've been uninspired to shoot a single round thru it or even clean off the Cosmosnot....but wtf,that might just save me the trouble of having to grease it up before I'm forced to relocate it to it's new PVC underground home?

FWIW,yes you can buy SKS in USA but they command a rediculous premium,iirc they regularily sell south of the border for $500+ USD

They are more now. I'm in Texas now and went to their biggest store and they had a bunch of beat up Norincos for $400-$890. Crazy!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Just got back from the Tire in High River. They have at least 6 in stock. $199.99.