Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Default LASIK MD Edmonton

Good day fellow AOs. I know the laser eye surgery thing has been posted plenty before, but I was hoping a few people could chime in with their experience specifically with LASIK MD in Edmonton.

I have been to a couple other places for a consultation and this place is at the top of the list for LASIK surgery mainly because of the lifetime enhancement policy.

Any good/bad feedback/rumours with this place?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 PM

It was worth every cent!! I got it last October and it was the best thing ever! The procedure is kind of a weird 5 minutes but after that it's awesome. Everything is better driving,reading, shooting
Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 PM

Absolutely worth it! I had it back in July and it's great! Only negatives I have are my eyes are still dry sometimes but that only affects crispness. Few drops and it's gone. And my night vision isn't as good! But I used to have really good night vision! Drive without lights type of night vision! But that's gone, now I'm normal!

Do it and you won't regret!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 PM

I am also looking into it, what was the cost if you dont mind me asking? Iv had glasses for 4 years now and still cannot get used to them and hate them!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 PM

Wife had it done! A1 service!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I am also looking into it, what was the cost if you dont mind me asking? Iv had glasses for 4 years now and still cannot get used to them and hate them!
$28-- after my $400 discount for having Blue Cross. It is the cheapest quote I have gotten which makes me a bit leery; I know it can be attributed to volume, but I have never liked the idea of 'cheaping out' especially with irreplaceable bodily parts. That's why I was hoping for some personal experiences with this clinic. Thanks to those who have chimed in thus far!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 PM

Default Lasik

I had mine done 3 years ago(50 years old) I had a consultation 2 years prior to that. I did not get it done initially as my vision was borderline and I thought the cost ($3600) was to high for border line case. I did wear glasses for seeing clearly at a distant and had mild prescription. The other issue they told me was I need reading glasses after my surgery. As my job was outdoors I found wearing glasses in the winter a pain and decided to get it done and have no regrets. When I had my consultation they quoted me on both types of laser treatment of course who would not get the latest technology ($3600). If you can afford it get it done. Don't forget you can claim some of the costs on your taxes. LASIK can give you a letter that states date of consultation, surgery and follow up check ups for that tax year. I live out of town so kept a spreadsheet of travel dates and distance travelled. Revenue Canada has set rates for mileage and meals.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 PM

3300$ for me
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Same with me 3300
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Wife had hers done last year at King LASIK. It was $4200. Laser cut (not scalpel) Includes all future checkups and lifetime enhancements, plugs for tear ducts (if you need them), all meds/drops...

My wife said it was an amazing experience, no problems.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 PM

I had mine done last May in Calgary. Lifetime warranty, $3800 and wish I would of done it sooner. Best money I ever spent. The healing process was stressful because one eye lagged behind the other. It had me worried but they never mentioned it was normal or to be expected or anything of the sort. I wish someone could of said something to ease my mind but they didn't. It was a short lived stress but it exsisted. That said I see better now then I ever did with glasses and would certainly recommend it.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Man 82 View Post
Good day fellow AOs. I know the laser eye surgery thing has been posted plenty before, but I was hoping a few people could chime in with their experience specifically with LASIK MD in Edmonton.

I have been to a couple other places for a consultation and this place is at the top of the list for LASIK surgery mainly because of the lifetime enhancement policy.

Any good/bad feedback/rumours with this place?

Thanks!
Had my surgery done back in February of 2010. Now, over five years later, I still have better than 20/20 vision.

With blue cross coverage, mine came to just under 3K.

Only complaint I have is that sometimes I still get some dry eyes. A couple of eye drops and I'm back to normal.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:07 AM

Best money I ever spent as well. Done in 2007 at Clearly Lasik, simple procedure amazing results. As mentioned by others, night vision degrades slightly but nothing I would consider an issue at all.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 AM

I had mine done about 15 years ago at Gimble in Edmonton, and my wife had her's done last year at Lasik. Both were absolutely fantastic. I am still better than 20/20.

Had to take the Missus back this week to have a touch up on one eye. Not sure what happened, but one of her eyes regressed a bit and she was having a bit of double vision.

Love not having to wear glasses / contacts!!!

Lasik is a great clinic. Volume is HIGH and expect to wait in their lounge for several hours the day of your appt.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
I had mine done about 15 years ago at Gimble in Edmonton, and my wife had her's done last year at Lasik. Both were absolutely fantastic. I am still better than 20/20.

Had to take the Missus back this week to have a touch up on one eye. Not sure what happened, but one of her eyes regressed a bit and she was having a bit of double vision.

Love not having to wear glasses / contacts!!!

Lasik is a great clinic. Volume is HIGH and expect to wait in their lounge for several hours the day of your appt.
X2 for Gimbel. I had the PRK procedure (not LASIK) done by them in 2011. With LASIK, they need to flap the tissue first, with PRK they don't. It has a bit longer healing time, but they said at the time that it tends to hold up better.

At the time, Gimbel was more expensive, but they do have a long-standing history and reputation. My dad had eye surgery done by them back in the mid-90s - back when they did the operation with a scalpel.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Ever notice all these dr's who perform this procedure or optomitrists wear glasses, got to make you think
Old 04-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Ever notice all these dr's who perform this procedure or optomitrists wear glasses, got to make you think
Lol... Never noticed.... That would be the redest flag out of all the red flags.. Interesting...
Old 04-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Ya but most don't hunt,fish,ski,snowmobile etc etc.
They spend most of their free time somewhere hot because they have all our money
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Was done about 10 years ago at Lasik. Gimbel said I wasn't a candidate because of the shape of my cornea's. Lasik said I was. Was a little nervous but went thru with it anyway. Best 3k+ Ive ever spent
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM

Just do it. It'll be the best 3K+ you've ever spent.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM

What are the long term issues after this is done? I have 2 kids that wear glasses and one of them his eyes are not good. My sister had it done about 15+ years ago and now her eyes are getting bad again after being perfect for so long. According to her there is nothing they can do to correct them again. I'd like to know what long term issues are like if any? Maybe my sister was an odd case
Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
What are the long term issues after this is done? I have 2 kids that wear glasses and one of them his eyes are not good. My sister had it done about 15+ years ago and now her eyes are getting bad again after being perfect for so long. According to her there is nothing they can do to correct them again. I'd like to know what long term issues are like if any? Maybe my sister was an odd case
They say to wait for the kids. Their eyes are still developing and changing. I think they say wait till your eyes have stabilized and no prescription changes for a few years.
As far as your sister go's that would be normal changes in eyes. Lazer surgery does not prevent aging / changing eyes.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:45 PM

I went to EyeQ in Edmonton after a few recommendations. They also have a lifetime enhancement policy. Absolutely phenomenal service, care, and results. I think it was about $5500. My brother just had his done there as well and couldn't be more pleased.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm curious as to the types of vision problems that people are having corrected.

I've started to wear reading glasses and I really hate them. The condition is called presbyopia and is very common for people 40+.

I've read about people getting monovision correction for this condition. This is where your dominant eye is corrected for distance (if necessary) and your other eye is corrected for reading.

Anyone get this procedure done? results?

http://www.allaboutvision.com/vision...ia_surgery.htm
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM

I had my surgery about a year and a half ago, it was about $3000 and I wish I had done it years ago. Pay extra money for the enhancement guarantee if you're eligible, I had to redo my right eye and it didn't cost me anything except time off work.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I went to EyeQ in Edmonton after a few recommendations. They also have a lifetime enhancement policy. Absolutely phenomenal service, care, and results. I think it was about $5500. My brother just had his done there as well and couldn't be more pleased.

I went to EyeQ as well and their policy only covers you for 24 months. This may have changed, but that was the case this week. I went there first because I was referred and heard their surgeon is one of the best. From what I have been reading though the laser is pretty much computer controlled and most of the process is automated.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM

The beautiful middle eastern lady that performed my surgery had over 34000 surgery so under her belt! They do this stuff everyday x30.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:11 PM

Default LASIK ms edmonton

Had mine done at LASIK MD in Edmonton City Center. Without a doubt, the best money I have ever spent on anything in my life! Absolutely love it. Cost around $3300. Would recommend it to anybody, without a doubt. I went from 20/400 to 20/15 vision.