Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM

About 4 1/2, or 5. And since I was probably about 6 one went everywhere with me. And went "open carry" most places probably when I was about 8?

I feel naked without one. Not good naked!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't remember not having a jackknife, we didn't have kindergarten like the town kids had so we got a couple years of building forts, fishing the creeks, climbing trees doing all the things little kids should while the poor townie kids went to kindergarten. I don't remember not having a pocket knife or remember any of my buddies not having one, even the town kids had pocket knives, it was simply a necessity growing up in the country in the 60's. How else would you whittle a slingshot, make whistles, clean your fish or trim your fingernails, etc.

Every time I see a kid strapped in a child safety seat I feel so sorry for them, They are missing out on the freedom of being a little kid riding in the back of a truck with the wind in their hair, or tearing down the hill on an old bike with no brakes and not caring if you could stop at the bottom without ending up in the creek all bruised and scratched. We never dreamed of wearing a helmet.... wtf ..is up with that. All these kids are going to grow up without broken arms or legs, poison ivy, bee stings, infected wounds, there's no more sneaking out behind the barn smoking, settin things on fire, getting the girl down the road to take her clothes off and jump in the creek or play doctor with her, there was always a girl like that in every neighbor hood, then her friend would find out and tell her mom.... then there would be a lickin you remember for the rest of your life. All of this is begotten with the right of passage that comes when you get your first pocket knife. Todays kids have no idea what they are missing.
Thats my childhood right there. Hop on bikes in the a.m. with some grub, matches and some smokes and be gone all day. Building forts, playing cowboys and Indians with pellet guns, smoking, lighting fires and roasting garlic sausage. Down to the creek and build rafts, learning to swim when you fell off. We all carried knives and usually BB and pellet guns. When we ran out of ammo we chucked rocks, we had pretty good arms and unlimited energy. My grandkids now are pussified nintendo playing sucks. I wont tolerate it when they come to visit, its outside and we invent our own fun till the sun goes down....hopefully they learn something.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Default Knife

Bushrat that is hilarious. It is also exactly how I grew up and yes I do feel sorry for kids today, I guess you don't need one to whittle an ipad or watch tv all day!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Banned

About 9 years old, found a really nice jackknife when I was out fishing.

My neighbor honed it to a razors edge for me. I then proceeded to slice my right hand wide open from wrist to that flesh between thumb and forefinger. He bandaged it up and my mother thought it was minor. A few days later, she removed the bandage and near freaked.

The scar has shrunk some over the years but it's still 3 inches long.

Never done that again
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Best guess is somewhere between 6-8...brand spankin new Swiss army knife from Grandpa. Went outside to the (no harness or safety rails) tree house to make arrows, about 10 seconds later I was back in the house getting my thumb bandaged. Still have the scar and smile when I think of the story. Lost that knife (and a few others) on various fishing trips...learned to have a knife in every glove box, backpack, tackle container, etc...a habit that I still have today.

The old days when a kid could carry a pellet gun and a knife down the road and people would just slow down and wave as they went by...miss those times, but very grateful to have had them.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Default basic tool

6 or 7 yrs old.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 PM

I think I was about 8 or 9 I found my dads old buck knife in its case. It was in my dads old room at my grandparents house. It had the tip busted off and was dull as could be but I was so proud of it and I still have it somewhere.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Default I think

I was about 8 or 9 when I got one, and put it in my "book bag" for school. I remember that it was much cooler to sharpen one's pencils with your own knife than to use the dreaded sharpener affixed to the teacher's desk in the classroom. I carted it, and its successors, to school and everywhere else for many years. And it gutted many brook trout, amongst its other feats.
Hell, I still have the last one of those (45 ish years old?) in amongst my fishing gear. I can imagine what would happen now if one of my offspring pulled it out to sharpen their pencil in a classroom - well, I guess they have "mechanical pencils" - but ...?
Then again, a bunch of us 11-12 year olds borrowed all the parents' saws, axes, and the like, to build our own log cabin in the woods near our homes, back in the day. And they were pretty impressed with the product - it included a stone and masonery fireplace (which crumbled rather quickly due to our lack of expertise, but...?). They would probably all be subjected to having us put in foster care, due to their neglectful attitudes, in this time (?).
I have a much more "agressive" folding knife that resides in the case that I carry to work every day - just an ultimate hedge against any fool that wants my wallet, or...?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 PM

I can't recall for sure. I don't think I carried one to elementry school but had one around the farm most of the time. By about grade seven the schools had a strict no knives policy so when the teachers had to open something they had to ask me or one of my friends to do it for them. Lol. We were pretty good kids so when peeling an orange in the hallway the teachers tended to not notice that it wasn't a plastic spoon we were using.

In grade ten we made knives in shop class. After that I went home and made a sword with a 17 inch blade that ended up back it shop class for a final honing on the belt sander. Again no questions asked. Got to love small rural towns after all I'm only in my early thirties and would even be classed into the "me" generation even though I would take offence to that.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Dad bought me a Tree Brand when I was 4. Had it until I was 12 and lost it. Would love to find that exact model again. Very few days since then that I don't have pocket
knife.
Don't trust anyone else who doesn't carry at least one knife.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Proof read much?
Behave like Gentleman much?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't remember not having a jackknife, we didn't have kindergarten like the town kids had so we got a couple years of building forts, fishing the creeks, climbing trees doing all the things little kids should while the poor townie kids went to kindergarten. I don't remember not having a pocket knife or remember any of my buddies not having one, even the town kids had pocket knives, it was simply a necessity growing up in the country in the 60's. How else would you whittle a slingshot, make whistles, clean your fish or trim your fingernails, etc.

Every time I see a kid strapped in a child safety seat I feel so sorry for them, They are missing out on the freedom of being a little kid riding in the back of a truck with the wind in their hair, or tearing down the hill on an old bike with no brakes and not caring if you could stop at the bottom without ending up in the creek all bruised and scratched. We never dreamed of wearing a helmet.... wtf ..is up with that. All these kids are going to grow up without broken arms or legs, poison ivy, bee stings, infected wounds, there's no more sneaking out behind the barn smoking, settin things on fire, getting the girl down the road to take her clothes off and jump in the creek or play doctor with her, there was always a girl like that in every neighbor hood, then her friend would find out and tell her mom.... then there would be a lickin you remember for the rest of your life. All of this is begotten with the right of passage that comes when you get your first pocket knife. Todays kids have no idea what they are missing.
Yessir, very similar but both my parents smoked & I just couldn't smoke, not at any age. All the rest of it almost to a tee. Funny how this day & age lots of people think you're shatting 'em when you say kindergarten was for town kids, not country kids. Dad pulled me out of school grade 10 or 11 to go elk hunting one fall, Principal was gonna suspend me. Dad wasn't much for school stuff, Mom's dep't, but he came to see the principal about me going hunting. Principal (lucky guy) was away but the vice-principal assured Dad I would learn more in the hills than I would in school for a couple days. Just the way Dad thought about knives & hunting........
Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 PM

I was 6. The single blade folder spring was too strong for me; I had to use my teeth to pry it open! And yes, I cut my lip at least once.

My current everyday carry is a $5 one handed clip knife that uses utility blades. Its incredibly handy to have.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpppark View Post
Thats my childhood right there. Hop on bikes in the a.m. with some grub, matches and some smokes and be gone all day. Building forts, playing cowboys and Indians with pellet guns, smoking, lighting fires and roasting garlic sausage. Down to the creek and build rafts, learning to swim when you fell off. We all carried knives and usually BB and pellet guns. When we ran out of ammo we chucked rocks, we had pretty good arms and unlimited energy. My grandkids now are pussified nintendo playing sucks. I wont tolerate it when they come to visit, its outside and we invent our own fun till the sun goes down....hopefully they learn something.

Well I must of raised my city slicker kids right. Mind you, we spent every weekend out at my bush quarter while they grew up.

Talked to my daughter today. They just moved out on an acreage, one neighbor next door, the next one two miles away.

She was telling me how she told her kids last night that it was movie night and all 3 of them, the 10 year old, 4 old and 2 year old complained because they wanted to go play outside.

She then told me that my 10 year old grandson and the next door neighbors kid who is the same age decided that they're going to take the bikes and my daughters black lab and the neighbors golden retriever for a bike ride down to a wilderness area nearby.

I told her that is exactly what boys should be doing... Being out with their dogs in the country.

Yep, those city slicker kids off mine learned well. It's the way it should be.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 AM

I can't remember not having one either, so at least 60 years. I can't imagine not having it as I use it at least daily, even to remove my staples from target boards. Had to give it up once to tour House of Commons but got it back at exit. Had to miss tour of Hoover Dam as they wouldn't have given it back. Somebody mentioned splits earlier and that brings back memories, we played it in our town but didn't know if it was widespread, no pun intended.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I'm in my mid fortys, and had a jackknife all through school. Brought my .22 on the bus because I was staying the weekend at a buddy's. Nobody batted an eye. Gotta love small northern community's....
Yeppers. Nowadays there would be a tactical team on ya!

Always had a knife, maybe six or so years of age, small folder.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 AM

About 6 or 7 had a hard time opening with fingernail. But I managed. Still carry one to this day 4 decades + later.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:18 AM

5 years old , 1966.
I won't say how big my knife collection is now because you'll think I'm nuts.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM

I think I remember taking mine to grade one in the eighties. Never knew when there was a stick you had to carve or dig some dirt outta you fingernails.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 AM

I was about 6 when i got my first one. It was a cheap pen knife. Scales would come off and had to bend the little tabs to keep scales tight. Had some kinda picture on the scales. Got a better one when i was 8.

Was born and raised in the country. Wasnt such a thing as kindergarten then even in the small town up the road that i remember. Some of you guys sure brought back the memories for me. Pretty much got the same stories.

I still carry at least two. One in my Leatherman and one in my pocket and a couple in the truck and some in my fishing backpack.etc.

My girls grew up in the country too and they all had one at about 6. But i confess i failed with one. Shes turned into a city slicker and wont let her son have a knife. Ok now i confessed that i feel better.

Dont let the Edmonton IP. address fool ya we dont live there much. Long story.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:01 AM

9 years old, and a hippy. I had been carrying a knife around for quite awhile before this too. You'll notice a 9 inch hunting knife strapped to my belt as well.

circa early 70's
Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM

Default Pocket knife

I was a Huckleberry Finn or a Tom Sawer when I was a boy,so a pocket knife was a must,plus whatever other treasures I could get in my pockets,frogs occasionally.LOL
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM

I don't recall what age exactly, but I suspect it was before I was 10 for sure.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Probably 8-9, spent the summer at the cottage and every weekend from Sept to April at someone's cabin, parents insisted we all have something. To this day I have an EDC that's always in my pocket.

A month ago I was back in NB when my dad was having emergency brain surgery.....his biggest concern was making sure his pocket knife didn't get lifted in in the ER, he had had it for 40 years. I found it and he told me to take it home to pass on to my little guy......he's 5 and will get it when he is 9.....but doubt he'll be able to carry it everywhere like I did.