Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Banned

Default Bow Performance At -25

Been reading a thread from some fellows that are bowhunting elk in 212.
My question is how does extreme cold effect a bow? I would think your bow and string would freeze solid after an hour or so. I would worry that as your comming to full draw your bow or string could crack, snap or even break.
Any info. or comments?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Mine is a quite bit noisier at colder than -15 but most will function fine. I have to get some different grease for my pivot points.

LC
Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Just to clarify, the late season elk draw is weekday only, no one should be hunting today.

That being said, I have gone out in weather like this before. It's a little more miserable because of the extra clothes and how much slower you are moving to avoid sweating. But I have shot my bow in -27*c before. Like lefty said, just a touch noisier.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:43 PM

I've been out huntin with the bow in -30 before it's no so much the bow as the hunter. All that extra clothing and cold hands can change things up a bit
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM

I worry about my bow breaking at any temp below -15. It's more than likely not worth worrying about. Still makes me a little easier on the draw.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:41 PM

In my experience the shooter freezing up is usually more of an issue that the bow, I've shot mine right down to -30. Can make pulling arrows out of the rinehart an adventure though.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM

going from +20 to -20, I have found the bow string shortens up and my peep was out of alignment, just something to watch for. I also turned down the poundage 3 to 4 lbs for easier draw after being in the stand for 2-3 hours makes a big difference.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
In my experience the shooter freezing up is usually more of an issue that the bow, I've shot mine right down to -30. Can make pulling arrows out of the rinehart an adventure though.
X2 I agree...As a test on the subject we took a top line bow and put it in the freezer for 24hrs...on removing it from freezer the poundage was up only 3 pounds from before freezing...with this bow there was no noise on draw...Ugly Cookie [WB] for rest...didnt notice any xtra noise on shot...POI [Point Of Impact] was not mentionable in differerance...

Grip was soooo dang cold thou...

Was surprised thought poundage might go up more and that it would be stiffer and noiser drawing...

Had a friend hunt way in Article circle for Polar Bear...got so cold vanes would break off like potatoe chips ...minus 70's but bow shot perfectally..again Ugly Cookie for rest..

Neil