Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Default Drawing your bow at the sky - MOAS

Just a reminder to everyone attending the MOAS, you will be disqualified if you elelvate your bow to draw it. Too much damage has been done to the facility in Red Deer(ceiling, walls) by people lifting their bows to draw them. This will be reason for disqualification if flag judges see this happening.

If this is your normal practice, you have enough time before the shoot to change this habit. Usually a sign of drawing too many pounds. MOAS and your shoulder will thank you for it!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Not just a sign of too much draw weight but improper instruction....

I never understood why bow hunters thing waving a bow at an animal while grunting and groaning like a dog pooping a peach pit, is conducive to bow hunting is a mystery to me, does 10 lbs extra draw weight help that much?

point bow at target and drawing straight back is not just good form that leads to more consistency (less movement) in shooting but stealthier while in presence of game too!....

Kind of like how I see people shooting downhill still doing the level draw and them bending at hips to shoot uphill or downhill... this used to be done because bows did not have solid wall so helped maintain proper draw length when shooting.... Now with solid wall bows point bow at target draw into wall and release.... again less movement and is stealthier and more accurate...

I really think this rule should be enforced more at commercial ranges.... just as bad as those who draw while pointing at the floor!...
Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

I never understood why bow hunters thing waving a bow at an animal while grunting and groaning like a dog pooping a peach pit, is conducive to bow hunting is a mystery to me, does 10 lbs extra draw weight help that much?

point bow at target and drawing straight back is not just good form that leads to more consistency (less movement) in shooting but stealthier while in presence of game too!....

Kind of like how I see people shooting downhill still doing the level draw and them bending at hips to shoot uphill or downhill... this used to be done because bows did not have solid wall so helped maintain proper draw length when shooting.... Now with solid wall bows point bow at target draw into wall and release.... again less movement and is stealthier and more accurate...

I really think this rule should be enforced more at commercial ranges.... just as bad as those who draw while pointing at the floor!...
THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!!! That's the best description of elevated drawing I've ever heard Made my day!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:

The grunting reminds me of watching women's pro tennis lol (some of the guys too).
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
The grunting reminds me of watching women's pro tennis lol (some of the guys too).
Anna Kournikova grunting....yup I can visualize that!

LC
Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Anna Kournikova grunting....yup I have visualized that!

LC
Fixed it for ya.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Who hasn't though really...

LC
Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Who hasn't though really...

LC
Guilty as charged.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Bows, dogs pooping peach pits, and hot Russian girls...that escalated quickly... I love this site
Old 01-02-2015, 06:24 PM

Following the 2013 MOAS we received an email from the Westerner demanding a meeting with their General Manager (including photos of arrows embedded in their overhead door and walls). With the inclusion of the photos, there was absolutely no "wiggle room" to even say, "Are you sure it was us..." An uncomfortable meeting to say the least!!!

While the top-level managers at the meeting were not pleased with damage to their building, their biggest concern (and rightly so) was possible injury to people outside the building should an arrow pierce the thin walls of the building. While the East and South walls see very little public traffic, the Westerner staff are constantly back and forth during the weekend and their safety was the primary concern of Westerner Management.

The only recourse to be offered during the meeting was to inform them we were in a catch 22... We'd seen a tremendous growth in "brand-new shooters to archery" attending the Mother - for which we were excited to see, but some were still learning the techniques of proper bow-drawing / release procedures.

We outlined our plan to strictly enforce a "No Elevated Drawing" rule for future events. They were impressed and satisfied we had taken the issue seriously and came to the table with details of how to prevent this from occurring again. The meeting ended positively, but there was a definite "undertone", that should this happen again, we could quite possibly be denied access to the Westerner Exposition Park for any future archery events.

We would like to extend a SINCERE THANKS to all who attended the 2014 MOAS and abided by the new ruling. If memory serves, there was only 1 arrow which pierced the wall (without going all the way through). It was from a young archer who had just nicked the back of a standing doe and had her arrow take a bizarre ricochet towards the wall. We provided a summary email to the Westerner following the 2014 event (and included the errant arrow issue). They were pleased with our attention to the issue, and the actions of the archers to abide by the new rule.

Looking forward to the upcoming 2015 event, we will again be strictly enforcing this rule! The Line Judges and Announcers Booth personnel will be closely monitoring the lines, and they will IMMEDIATELY stop the shooting procedures to address an elevated drawing issue. There will be 1 warning given, and if a there is a repeat occurrence by the same archer - they will be asked to leave the tournament. While this may sound harsh, we in no way want to see someone's safety outside the building put in jeopardy, as well as a possible loss of the Westerner Exposition Park as a venue for the event due to one person's inability to follow the rules and demonstrate proper drawing techniques.

My sincere hope is we'll see the same attention to this rule as was observed during the 2014 Mother, and this becomes what it should be - a non-issue!

Happy New Year to all!

MS
Organizing Chair
2015 Mother of All Shoots
Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:

We have been lucky...We try to instruct and also enforce that as a safety rule here...

Many new to the sport try to draw using just biseps instead of entire upper body...that with a release finger on trigger instead of behind trigger on draw results in a sky shot and leaky roof...

We have had only three and that was all from long time "bowhunters" set in their ways ...bicep draw trigger on release trigger...

We tolerate a low draw so have experianced more "torpedo" shots that sky draw shots...they usually skid across floor to target wall without damage..

However we instruct pin on target during draw...

Neil
Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM

This is from Archery Canada rules,

28.5. When drawing back the string of his bow an athlete shall not use any technique which, in the opinion of the Judges, could
allow the arrow, if accidentally released, to fly beyond a safety zone or safety arrangements (overshoot area, net, wall, etc.).
If an athlete persists in using such a technique, he will, in the interest of safety, be asked by the Chairperson of the
Tournament Judges Commission to stop shooting immediately and to leave the course. The athlete must aim and draw up at
the target only.

Persist means doing it more than once....

I have seen so many people commit this error and it is often not enforced. I am glad to see it is being enforced. This has impacts outside of MOAS as once bad arrow could result in many events being shut down or facilities suddenly no longer available for events....

I have seen people using this dangerous practice and get rebuffed when an intervention is attempted in interests of safety.

Thanks MOAS!....
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM

So far, we've been really fortunate as flag judges at MOAS with this newer rule. Those that have been reminded of this high-draw practice during a round at MOAS have been really surprised to find out that the way they were drawing was incorrect and potentially dangerous. Most of these archers were quite happy to comply and yes, there were a few that had to turn their bows down. As LOST says, most shops teach the correct way at their lanes.