Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Default Which Bow to Buy? between these Two:

Which Bow to Buy for my first bow for Hunting and why between these two?
Bowtech Carbon Knight RAK for $699
or a
Bowtech Insanity for $775 bare bow
Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Shoot Them Both

If you are down to those 2 choices, shoot them and buy the one that feels the best for you. If you have not tried other bows yet, do so and then decide what you shoot best. Bows are a very personal fit item and the feel is what matters.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks, Have shot the Knight but the Insanity is not local to try.
Was trying to get an Idea if the tecnology on one was so much better than the other to help make the decision more easy.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM

You are definitely getting more technology out of the insanity. For example, the flx guard, hardcore limbs, centre pivot. Personally id go with the insanity, but like said above, if you can try to find one to shoot that would be the best bet.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

oh boy, hope you shot many bows to come down to this decision and not the make, model nor price. Bow has to fit you and you need to be one with the bow, than lay down your hard earned cash.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Kind of two different breeds of bows. If you want the knight I would personally buy the bare bow and set it up with a little high quality accessories. But if the 699 fits the budget. That will get you going no problem.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM

It would also depend if you are a new archer or experienced. The Insanity is discontinued now...so that could play into it as well, also the insanity I believe is a short BH bow which is not a good thing for a new archer...if you are new to it.

LC
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Thumbs up

Yes new Archer wanting to get in on the early season and more game options.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Looks like a bare bow Carbon Knight would run about $599 so about $100 bucks less than a RAK.
How much more should I expect to spend to get upgraded Sight, Arrow rest, Stabilizer, Quiver that would have come with the RAK setup.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacs5 View Post
Yes new Archer wanting to get in on the early season and more game options.
If strictly hunting I would look at Carbon Overdrive....it's the CK on steeroids!

LC
Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 PM

I would love to go Overdrive, but I can't find one in the year end Bargain bin. :-) Lot's more Mool*****
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM

another thing to look at is used bows, some great deals out there, shoot a few and find out what you like and buy a higher end used bow with high end accessories
Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 PM

I am hesitant to buy used as I am not savey enough when it comes to bows
And their equipment to make an informed decision. Afraid to end up with someone's pig in a pok with no warrantee. Have done a lot of reading but to me it seems like the technology keeps changing and getting better by leaps and bounds each couple of years. Kind of especially interested in the newer lighter carbon riser bows and at present I appears that the Carbon Knight is the best bang for the buck that I have found so far.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM

Default Used

Quote:
I am hesitant to buy used as I am not savey enough when it comes to bows
And their equipment to make an informed decision. Afraid to end up with someone's pig in a pok with no warrantee. Have done a lot of reading but to me it seems like the technology keeps changing and getting better by leaps and bounds each couple of years. Kind of especially interested in the newer lighter carbon riser bows and at present I appears that the Carbon Knight is the best bang for the buck that I have found so far.
Where are u looking at the used bows. And where fortne new?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Looking online at the used. Looking at the new also online and at the big box and archery stores. Am I missing somewhere?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Banned

Why go top end if your a beginner?
Go visit Jimbows Archery or a different store where you can try different products and get information.
Expect to add 3 to $400 minimum on top of bare bow for accessories.
Do some homework and trial practicing.
Used might be a great option unless you have money to burn.
I never understood buying high end for a beginner .
In the end it's your choice so enjoy.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 AM

I am attempting to buy a bow that I won't have to upgrade in a year. Thus I want to find what I need withhout cheaping out and hopfully have a Bow that I will keep for many years. Really like the Carbon Bows but not many out there in the mid price range. Only one I can find in that price range is the Caron Knight all the others are more money.
(ready to spend $800 for a carbon ready to hunt bow).
Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM

I shoot an insanity, wife shoots a carbon rose, basically a short draw version of the CK. first bit of advice, don't waste time on the RAK kit. spend the money upfront and buy the accessories you want upfront. you will be upgrading inside a month guaranteed.

Insanity has a bit harsher draw cycle, but with practice you will be used to it. its an absolute speed demon. for hunting I basically use 1 pin to 30 yards.

carbon rose is a butter smooth draw, and weights nothing at all. isn't that fast, but then again my wife can only draw back 48 lbs.

as others have said. shoot both, buy the one that just feels right. tech will change every year. but deer have been dropping for centuries, they won't know the difference in the new acronym the marketing team has drummed up for the new year.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Here is what I put in another post, buy accesories that will work for you, as the fellow said don't buy the RAK kit.
been at the bowhunting sport for over 30 years and have tried most equipment out there. As noted: make sure the bow fits you and you like the draw cycle of the bow.
here are some tips I pass on to someone getting into archery.
For a rest, only go with QAD drop away, I have the new HDX, top of the line and worth the money, my first one I had for 4 years and put through probably over 10,000 shots and it started giving me problems with dropping early, they replaced no charge. Once set they work great and are a containment rest so no issue with arrow falling off. Great when it comes to paper tuning your bow for final set-up with broadheads.
http://www.qadinc.com/2011-Ultra-Rest.html
For a sight, the latest I bought is a G5 Optix, with 3 set pins and a 4th moveable, works great as the 3 set pins I have at 25, 40 and 50 yards and the moveable can go to 100. 99% of a person's shots are under 50 yards. the pins are 0.019, very fine for pinpoint shooting, try those or get the 0.029 as they work great for hunting. Also has a light option to “charge your pins” for last light shooting. Lots of other multi pin sights out there, tru-glo and spott hogg are high quality.
http://www.g5outdoors.com/category/28
Buy a sight cover, they are a life saver when tromping thru the bush, saves busting a pin.
For a peep sight, get the G5 hunter so you can see your sight ring when you draw, great for quick alignment for hunting, with max light during last minute shooting at last light.
For a quiver get a light one with a quick single detach point with 5 arrows max, I have an octane that is too heavy and distorts the bow when I shoot so I have to remove which is a pain.
For a stabilizer they are not really needed for the new bows as they are so quiet to shoot, try and see if you notice any difference before you buy.
For arrows, I shoot Carbon Express, expensive but worth it, get an arrow that is less than 9 grains/inch as it keeps your trajectory the flattest, still plenty of kinetic energy with a 65 or 70 lb draw. I shoot 68 lbs with a 375 grain arrow and get about 290 ft/sec with KE of 70 lbs.Other good arrows are Easton or Gold Tip. Don’t buy camo colored, a pain to find if you lose one. Buy a dozen to start with and see how they shoot with your broadhead set-up, need 12 for a hunting trip by the time you mix and match with 6 broadheads for tuning. Fletching is variable, I still like 4 inch vanes but the quick spins are good too. Get bright fluorescent colors, I use orange and white. Get white nocks for practice, easier to see the arrow flight. For final arrow tuning and hunting, you must have lighted nocks, buy Nocturnals, they never fail and simple to use. Worth the money to see exactly where you hit the animal and to find your arrow after the shot. Go with 100 grain field points, most common and usually work for 99% of the bows.
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a.../maxima--red--
http://nockturnal.com/
For broadheads, only shoot cut on contact, I have tried just about every one made and the best is the Magnus Stinger straight edge 4 blade, 100 grain. They shoot almost identical to field points. They do great on penetration, we also get pass throughs, and easy to sharpen in the field, very reasonably priced. Other good broadheads are Muzzys and Slick tricks with replacement blades.
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/cate...er-Broadheads/
Release is personal preference, try a bunch, for hunting I use a trigger style not a back tension. Get with a buckle so your setting is always the same. Mine is a Truball that has a swivel head so it does not torque the string with adjustable length and trigger tension. I have had it for 10 years, over 25,000 shots thru it.
http://www.truball.com/Wrist%20Straps.html
Put on a string loop to save your string.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which Bow to Buy for my first bow for Hunting and why between these two?
Bowtech Carbon Knight RAK for $699
or a
Bowtech Insanity for $775 bare bow
The one that fits you best and that you are more comfortable with at full draw. The lighter the better works for me as well

Both are good bows and will give you years of service if you take care of them.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM

It's all about the bow that feels good to you. Even after competing in archery for several years, I still tried several bows before I got my new Bowtech "Experience" this year. Love this bow and knew it after the first arrow out of the rest! You can ask for a lot of opinions but it still boils down to the bow that you like the feel of the best. You're the one that's going to be shooting it!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. Let the fun begin!
Purchase is made. Brought home a CARBON Knight. Now I just have to learn to shoot it and hope i don't derail the strings.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Purchase is made. Brought home a CARBON Knight. Now I just have to learn to shoot it and hope i don't derail the strings.
Congrats...enjoy! Don't draw back with your fingers only (use only the release) and don't draw back without an arrow on it, never put your finger on the trigger if not on a target

....first things to remember!

LC
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
derailing it shouldn't be a problem unless you torque the bow like a savage
Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Banned

When I bought my bow I shot quite a few bows. I narrowed it down to the Bowtech Assassin and the CPXL. Way different price points for sure. But when I had the chance to shoot them back to back, I chose the Assassin. It just felt better in my hand. Is the CPXL a better bow? Sure it is. Was it as comfortable for me? No. I have since upgraded the sight, stabilizer, rest, strings, and did buy a different quiver. That quiver is now on my sons how, as is my old sight. But the comfort of getting a quality how that fit me better over a bow that is better, technology and speed wise, but didn't feel right, it just wasn't worth it.

That Carbon Knight will serve you well, all factory parts. Only "upgrade" the parts as you see fit. Don't upgrade because tells you that you have to. Shooting my stock bow I managed to get one Robin hood and tore up a bunch of fletchings and broke quite a few arrows because of the accuracy that I could get out of it. I've managed one Robin hood since and have wrecked just as many arrows. Now I'm smarter and shoot at different spots on my target.

Congrats on your newfound addiction.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks, you are correct it is addictive.
Went in this morning to sight it in and ended up shooting for close to two hours. Continually trying to get better till you realize you are getting worse because you are too tired

sure is fun
Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Congrats...enjoy! Don't draw back with your fingers only (use only the release) and don't draw back without an arrow on it, never put your finger on the trigger if not on a target

....first things to remember!

LC
Good words to live by. I've made these mistakes and paid dearly for them
Old 12-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Banned

Pacs5, where are you located?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Calgary. Why?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Banned

I'm in Calgary too. Maybe we can get together and do some shooting sometime? Im in the deep SE so the Archery center is easy to get to for me.