Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-29-2014, 06:19 AM

Default To Dampen a Bow

Just curious of what yall use? I'd like to try to get my bow as quiet as possible. Which dampeners do you find work best? What do you have on your string?

I've those. Round nobs "limb savers" or whatever. Forgive my ignorance, but do those literally just glue onto your limb? I caught a glance of them and it didn't register what they were till after I left.

I'll be gettin a proper stabilizer at some point. Can they make a big difference?

Just wondering what y'all find works best. Thanks guys.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Funny on my newer Bowtech CPX bows (Insanity CPXL, Experience, Invasion). I don't use anything to dampen them....even my Destroyer with parallel limbs....nothing on it, other than a stabilizer rest and sight.

What bow do you shoot? Split or solid limb? Upright, Parallel or past parallel?

LC
Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 AM

The Mathews Drenalin. Solid limbs. I'm not sure what the other questions are. Lol
Old 12-29-2014, 12:08 PM

If your bow is excessively noisy it could be your tune is out of spec, an out of spec bow can be very noisy and jumpy at the shot. Like lefty said, newer bows are usually pretty good. Your limb savers should be really all that is required to make it acceptable. Some guys will put whiskers on the strings too. I find they rob performance and aren't necessary on the equipment I shoot, other than on my recurve!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
If your bow is excessively noisy it could be your tune is out of spec, an out of spec bow can be very noisy and jumpy at the shot. Like lefty said, newer bows are usually pretty good. Your limb savers should be really all that is required to make it acceptable. Some guys will put whiskers on the strings too. I find they rob performance and aren't necessary on the equipment I shoot, other than on my recurve!
Thanks for the reply! But I'm pretty new to this..... What does it mean for my bow to be "out of tune"? how would i go about fixing this?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Thanks for the reply! But I'm pretty new to this..... What does it mean for my bow to be "out of tune"? how would i go about fixing this?

Take it to a reputable bow shop and get them to take a look at it and spec tune it. They will be able to teach you lots about the basics of your bow in particular. As you progress in your archery journey you may choose to pick up your own tools to do your own work along the way! Most any of the shops mentioned in the threads of this forum will help you out with a smile on their face and be eager to answer any questions that you may have.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Take it to a reputable bow shop and get them to take a look at it and spec tune it. They will be able to teach you lots about the basics of your bow in particular. As you progress in your archery journey you may choose to pick up your own tools to do your own work along the way! Most any of the shops mentioned in the threads of this forum will help you out with a smile on their face and be eager to answer any questions that you may have.
Right on. I'll do that. Thanks man! I really need to hang out at the pro shop by more. The new one in sherwood park will be perfect for me.

I'd love to go to accurate archery, as he's a Mathews dealer, but it's a bit of a far drive.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Right on. I'll do that. Thanks man! I really need to hang out at the pro shop by more. The new one in sherwood park will be perfect for me.

I'd love to go to accurate archery, as he's a Mathews dealer, but it's a bit of a far drive.
That's great that you have access to a few good shops close to you. Be sure to go see Carson or Dave at Jimbows. I know both of those guys are top-shelf bow techs and outstanding people to boot. Have fun with it!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Both TnT or Lawrence will treat you right. Jimbows is a great choice as well. I actually bought my last 2 bows from Jimbows because at the time there were no good shops in Edmonton
Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 PM

The options archers have in and around the Edmonton area are great! Lots of good people doing the right things, some really well run businesses.

LC
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM

most new bows are pretty quiet right outta the factory...but I recently put a pair of string leaches on my hoyt spyder and wow that took it to a whole new level of quiet. will definitely be adding those to my bows from now on...
Old 12-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
most new bows are pretty quiet right outta the factory...but I recently put a pair of string leaches on my hoyt spyder and wow that took it to a whole new level of quiet. will definitely be adding those to my bows from now on...
They do help...but you can lose 5 or more fps with them.

LC
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They do help...but you can lose 5 or more fps with them.

LC
5 fps seems steep...but i dont care...i hate noisy bows...and i still have more than enough ke for any critter in ab...
Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I've those. Round nobs "limb savers" or whatever. Forgive my ignorance, but do those literally just glue onto your limb? I caught a glance of them and it didn't register what they were till after I left.
The Limbsavers or BowJax for solid limbs usually come with double sided tape that will adhere to the limb. Just make sure it is free of all dirt, and oils first before trying to apply them.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 PM

My bow must have some tuning to do. I put those limb saver knobs on my limbs and didn't make a huge difference.