Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Carp on the fly

Hey all, I know carp isn't really on the top of peoples list of fish to catch, but does anyone have any expert experience with catching these things? I live in the Summerside community (Edmonton) and this lake has schools of large carp ( i'm guessing for weed control) which looks to be at least in the 10lbs+ range. I've presented almost every fly in my box with no luck, very spooky and intelligent fish.

I am for the most part a trout guy, but they're hard to ignore when they cruise by you no more then a foot away in 2 feet of water. Any help is appreciated, i'd be willing to take someone into the lake with me if they know they can get one. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:58 PM

shredside... if you let me come fish with you i'll help you solve the mystery. Been wanting to do that for a long time now...

Do you know if theyre grass carp? Which im assuming they are if they were put in there to control weed growth. Dont think they are common or mirror carp.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Default nymph

Small nymph or backswimmer. Also skuds but they need to be right on bottom and fished super slow. Tie then with some foam so they float and use a shorter leader and a wet line. Let the line sink right into the bottom and slow retrieve. The fly will stay just off the bottom
Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM

If you throw out a load of small white bread flakes (1-2cm sq) they will start to feed on them after some time on the surface. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get comfortable with taking the breadflakes.

Then cast out any white foamy fly (make one if you have to) into the area they are feeding. It is only a matter of time after that. The suspense is great while you are waiting. Make sure they close their mouth before setting the hook.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the awesome input, I'm slightly oppossed to chumming the water since I like really like the game of simplicity, and it's a little too much trickery for me haha, call me a purist? Anyway, BHfly you're welcome to come with me, I'll PM you when I go. I'm like 95% sure they are grass carp.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

size 14 cream maggot lookin fly has hooked me a lot of carp

theyll vacuum it up on the fall.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 PM

I got one while targeting trout using a woolly bugger, it was big