Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Default Allen Fly Fishing

I don't post often so I thought I should share the exceptional experience I had with the young Allen Fly Fishing company.

I've been fortunate enough to be fly fishing the bow river 3-4 times a week this summer if not more and have gotten a little lazy putting my rods away properly. About a week ago I found that I had snapped the new Allen 4 weight i had purchased at the beginning of summer (In 2 out of the 4 sections) because I had place my hockey gear on top of it. After reading the warranty on Allen's website I assumed I would pay the 35 dollar repair fee since it was clearly my fault and not a malfunction of the rod. After emailing the company and explaining my situation I received a quick response simply asking what sections of the rod broke. A day later they sent me the new parts free of charge.

This rod only cost $80 at the time because of a 20% discount on it.

So for those of you who keep asking what to buy as a reliable and reasonable new setup I would consider Allen. They always have great sales so if you aren't in a hurry hold off for a month or two and almost certainly what you are looking for will go on sale. In my opinion they have some of the nicest looking reels in the industry and mine performs exceptionally.

Here's my reel next a fatty I caught on the bow last night
IMG_0653.jpg
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Great fish. I've been using their hooks for while. Great deal vs Tiemco. I am awaiting the arrival of my Alpha III reel.
Which Allen rods do you own? Reviews?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Right now I only have a 4 weight compass. It's a great rod for using on the streams or throwing small flies. I will probably purchase one of their other models in a 6 weight to use on the bow before next summer. The Alpha is pretty hefty what are you fishing for with it? Im sure you wont be disappointed.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM

Hoping some bonefish and coho are in my future