Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Fly Tying with wild turkey feathers?

Dont know if there is a use for them but noticing wild turkey feathers in the pens lately so they must have just molted. Now the last time I tried fly fishing I lost more flies in the trees and underbrush than the fish I caught (1) so I am not about to start fly fishing or tying in the near future. Free to a good home by visiting the pheasant farm if you can use them.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM

They make wonderful Mudder Minnows, nymph back and a host of other flies. I would take up on it if I didn't have a full tail. Big Pheasant tails on the other hand...

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Pheasants

Wont be prime until October and you would be surprised how many shooters just pluck them in the field while walking.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM

In the old days when I was a kid and there was no such thing as the multitude of yuppy based local fly shops, hunting was one of the few ways to gather fly thing materials.

Fishing Regulations
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM

It's the secondary wing feathers of the turkey that you want for muddler minnoes as they are a moulted brown color. To get good wings for the Muddler you need matched pairs of feathers. One off each wing.
I have been fly fishing and tying 57 years. In the creeks and rivers the Muddler has outlasted all other patterns for consistantly catching fish. It has been in my fly boxes for 57 years. All other patterns come and go. Oops, except for maybe an Adams dryfly.
BJ
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Secondaries are nice, and I used them for many years, but with a tail you get opposite sides on one feather instead of doing a match. I also find that the tail material will give me a tougher feather that will take more abuse, especially form those toothy Brookies.

Fishing Regulations
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Default still seeing a few

first come first serve until snow flies