Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Default Basic trapping questions

Hey I just thought I would ask a few questions from some people who are a little more experienced with trapping. I am wanting to learn a little more about trapping, at some point I was thinking of getting a trap line and thought it may be good to learn a few basic techniques and practice on a few problem animals on a friends farm. I'm thinking that from the research that I have done and the animals that I am targeting (rabbits and coyotes) snaring is likely the most effective. The first question that I have is where does one get snare wire (all the wire I have found is still coated in rubber) ? as well what gauge wire is appropriate for these animals? The second is how big do you make the loops and how high do you put them off the ground?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

I don't know where it is you are from but if close to Edmonton, stop at Halford Hide to pick up any trapping equipment you feel you need. Get a catologue for yourself at the same time.
As far as the other info you need, well it can vary of course, depending on what you are setting for, as does height of loop and is to extensive to cover - properly - here at this time... I could probably find an old trapping manual, I could part with or - when they decide to get their act together, you might try to get a new manual from the "ata". Call Westlock for it. It won't be for free.

As for -practicing- I would rather you knew a lot more, so as to be more humane on the critters you want to take..
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Gone Hunting

You are trying to cover too much ground with one post.

Snaring is more an art form then a technique. There are a range of different wires, loop sizes, heights to use ext ext for each species.

Probably the best way to start out is to buy pre-made snares, unless you know an experienced snare maker. I believe HalFord's sells snares.

Rabbits are an easier subject. The only wire I have ever used for rabbit was soft brass wire I bought at the local hardware store. As I recall 20 gauge was preferred but anything from 18 to 22 was used.

We would twist an eye in the end of a two foot length of this wire.
Past the other end through this eye to form a loop 8 to 10 inches in diameter.

We would then twist tie this loop to a dry drag pole two to three feet long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.

We would position this snare along a well travelled rabbit trail, thus.

Centre the loop directly above the trail where the rabbets feet contact the ground. ( smooth, bare or packed down spots)
Loop should be 8 to 10 inches in diameter, fist height above ground or snow surface. By fist height I mean, make a fist, rotate fist to side position, thumb side up. Place little finger side on ground in centre of rabbit trail. Your snare should just touch this fist.

Be careful, even picky about getting you snare centred on the trail and square to the trail. Little details matter here. Get it right and you will never miss a rabbit and never catch anything else.

Now, consider this. Coyotes require wire cable, a proper lock to prevent the loop from backing off , much more careful snare placement, as little scent left behind as is possible and a host of other small details and you begin to see why it is too big a subject to cover here.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 AM

I am going to do a fair bit research first before any snares get set, I have far to much respect for animals that I wouldn't just start setting snares up everywhere willy nilly without knowing that my snares wouldn't at least be able to kill them ethically. I would just like to get some basic supplies together so I can work with various diagrams, practice putting up them up in the backyard and such. I am just wanting to try my hand at some basic trapping to see how I would like it before I would look at getting into a trapline. I just used the word "practice" animals as I have a few friends with a number of rabbits and coyotes on their farms and I thought that this would be a good introduction to trapping and at the same time help them out a little (their farms are on the prairies in southern ab if that makes a difference) I live in Calgary right now so would like to find a supply store closer to here if there is one.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM

just a quick question keg what do you mean by a 2-3 foot dry drag pole? I had read that for rabbits it was best to just attach it to a bush or a stake or something like that, Thanks for all that info btw, I was figuring starting on the rabbits and working up to coyotes as I know they are a lot smarter and more equipment is needed,more experience prefered... it will likely be a little before I am ready to try for them.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Default Rocky

If you are close to Rocky Mountain House there is a Trapper Ed. course plannned for Easter break ...this allows youths in school to have an opportunity to take the course. As now an ATA certified instructor can teach the course on his own the cost will be substantially less.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Default trapping course

In my view it should be mandatory if it isn't already. I took it many years ago in Calgary and it included fur handling techniques that would be necessary for all species regularly caught in alberta. the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) included a field trip to set conibear traps beneath the ice for beaver and the participants set both regular and power snares for coyotes. Can't remember the actual cost but it was probably around $50. which was money well spent.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
just a quick question keg what do you mean by a 2-3 foot dry drag pole? I had read that for rabbits it was best to just attach it to a bush or a stake or something like that, Thanks for all that info btw, I was figuring starting on the rabbits and working up to coyotes as I know they are a lot smarter and more equipment is needed,more experience prefered... it will likely be a little before I am ready to try for them.
Solid attachments can be used, but they can present problems, especially with larger animals.
Because of that I use a drag pole. Really just a length of dry willow or spruce. Never poplar. Poplar is brittle when dry.
The idea is to allow for give so the animal can't get a solid pull on the wire or cable.
There is a good reason for this which is based on the snares method of killing.
Most people believe a snare kills by cutting off the air. This is rarely how it works. Most often, the animal gets sweated up and exhausted fighting the snare. Then it lies down to rest, and since it's energy is spent and it is damp from sweating, hypothermia sets in and it dies of exposure.
Just try anchoring a Coyote snare to a fence post or tree and you will see, it is almost impossible to hold them with such a set. They will twist off a Wolf snare. Attach you snare to the fence wire, (so it has a bit of give), and you can hold a Coyote with clothes line wire. Don't try it, it's miserable wire to work with, and to weak to be reliable for snaring.

Practice is a good way to go. But I gotta warn you, Coyote is if not the hardest animal to trap and snare, they are a close second.
There are a lot of experienced trappers who can't successfully snare them.
Fox, if available would be a better subject to learn on, beaver are even better, but a lot more work.
Squirrel, Marten and Fisher can also be snared. I have been told that even Weasel are snared by some, but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

I can see that I'll have to work on making some drawing of the sets I'm talking about. That may take a while, what with the job and other competing interests, (wildlife photography) (birdhouse building) ext, I'm not sure when I'll find the time for yet another project.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Default wildnorth vids

you should watch all the clips "wildnorth" has uploaded on youtube. they're very good.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I don't know where you will be doing this in southern alberta but I'm from the Taber area. If you want I can take you out and show you how these things are done. I can even supply you with snares. I would strongly suggest taking the trappers education course as you won't be able to snare coyotes on your own until you get licensed.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM

hey there slough , you should try and together with reddog this would be a
great sorce for you .. I remember a nabor took me out when I was about 7or8 and have loved it ever since
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

First off , I would suggest a trappers course, available from Rocky local ATA. app $300.00 per depending on how many register, coming up soon Once you have accomplished this task You would be well advised to get yourself a mentor to show you the ropes per say. Trapping is NOT an exact science, But proper instruction by a competant person with ethical methods can save you AND the animals you target a lot of grief.
Trappers image can go south real quick these days considering all the children Walt Disney sired! Be it trapping rabbits or a coyote. The best of harvesters with the best of intentions with years of experience can get into a hairball in a second when enthusiasm overides common sense . And I don,t mean to say you don,t have the common sense I,m just trying to direct you in the proper steps.
Before you go to all this stuff pick up a copy of Alberta Trapping regulations at a F&W office , read them carefully and you will see rabbits are not regulated but The wire is specified to a certain guage and diameter.But coyote are : a different clasification.As a landowner of the area to be trapped you do not require a licence to control coyotes , OR as an employee or aquaintence of said landowner you are acting on his behalf , WITH his permission to do so.Again all in the regulations.