Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Default 257 Weatherby

Picked up a 257 WBY Mag (used), got a smokn' deal on it so I couldn't resist Just wondering what loads you guys could recomend for deer sized game??? Also will be looking for some reloading recipies if anyone can help out there that would be great. Can't afford to shoot it for $80 per box
Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 PM
stubblejumper

The 110 accubond works great as does the 100gr tsx.As for powder,h-1000,imr7828 and r-22 are all suitable.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
The 110 accubond works great as does the 100gr tsx.As for powder,h-1000,imr7828 and r-22 are all suitable.
Thanks SJ, gonna run to town in a bit to price out a set of dies. Which reloading manual has the Weatherby cartridges in it?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
stubblejumper

Most manuals including Nosler,Hodgdons,Hornady,Speer and Sierra list the 257wby.As for dies,I personally prefer RCBS.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
Picked up a 257 WBY Mag (used), got a smokn' deal on it so I couldn't resist Just wondering what loads you guys could recomend for deer sized game??? Also will be looking for some reloading recipies if anyone can help out there that would be great. Can't afford to shoot it for $80 per box
Hmm was it all that smokin of a deal?
Ask around and find a borescope to have a peek. Wonder how cooked the throat is. I know Bushrat has one, and he kept a pretty good tally of how few rounds his 257 Roy took till firecracking in the throat was developing.(<200 rounds)
Drop him a PM.
I sure hope your deal is as good as it appears, but I'd sure be finding out about barrel condition before sinking a pile of cash into a rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM

double tap!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Hmm was it all that smokin of a deal?
Ask around and find a borescope to have a peek. Wonder how cooked the throat is. I know Bushrat has one, and he kept a pretty good tally of how few rounds his 257 Roy took till firecracking in the throat was developing.(<200 rounds)
Drop him a PM.
Anybody comes near my rifles with a borescope and I'll put the dawgs on 'em!!
I'm still in therapy from the last time we looked through his borescope !

As long as the thing is shooting well, I'm not going to concern myself with looks - hell if looks mattered the wife woulda got rid of me a long time ago!

Cat
Old 10-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Barrels are like women, ya can't tell how they gonna perform by their looks but a borescope may make you want to put a bag over her head
Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Barrels are like women, ya can't tell how they gonna perform by their looks but a borescope may make you want to put a bag over her head
Old 10-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Smokn' Deal

Put a box of shells through it this afternoon & it shoots 3/4" groups @ 100 yards Can't see there being a problem with it with those results.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 PM

bushrat..careful now, comparing wimmen to a borescope ................besides it really comes down to having the right diameter of boresnake....
ahhh lets move along now...

hey big bucks, is it a mark5, a vanguard or custom grind??
I feed two 257wbys (mine and the mrs's), if you want my opinion...
for pure killability use 100gr (I use triple shocks or any premium round.)for everything from fox to elk and moose.
nothing lighter or heavier.

the good,,,
from memory, 100gr poke along at up to 3700fps out to 400 yards with about 9" drop when 2 3/4" high at 100. things fall like they have been struck by lightning. weatherby makes a beautiful, smooth functioning gun

the bad,,,
Norma brass is about $2 each. a one lb of powder doesnt last. most wbys perform at there potential when they are at or way-to-close to max, otherwise detuning them is the same as a hopped up 25-06. case life is three to five rounds then toss it. it hurts spending two or three g's on a gun to use as a boat oar or when it gets that 'I-polished-it-with-a-rock-look' as it clatters down a granite mountainside
the ugly,,,
barrel life is 500-1000 rounds (or in Bushrats case..<200).
One important thing to remember is that the 257wby and 257stw are the topfuel dragsters of 25 caliber world, by the time you get a load figured out...the bbl is seriously affected. you dont just take this gun to the range and rip off 100 rounds in a afternoon.

this is why...The cat, the Rat and dickly284 shoot more with less volatile and stable rounds
just remember...speed kills and how.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
now that there is some funny sh-t
Old 10-27-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Bullet Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
bushrat..careful now, comparing wimmen to a borescope ................besides it really comes down to having the right diameter of boresnake....
ahhh lets move along now...

hey big bucks, is it a mark5, a vanguard or custom grind??
I feed two 257wbys (mine and the mrs's), if you want my opinion...
for pure killability use 100gr (I use triple shocks or any premium round.)for everything from fox to elk and moose.
nothing lighter or heavier.

the good,,,
from memory, 100gr poke along at up to 3700fps out to 400 yards with about 9" drop when 2 3/4" high at 100. things fall like they have been struck by lightning. weatherby makes a beautiful, smooth functioning gun

the bad,,,
Norma brass is about $2 each. a one lb of powder doesnt last. most wbys perform at there potential when they are at or way-to-close to max, otherwise detuning them is the same as a hopped up 25-06. case life is three to five rounds then toss it. it hurts spending two or three g's on a gun to use as a boat oar or when it gets that 'I-polished-it-with-a-rock-look' as it clatters down a granite mountainside
the ugly,,,
One important thing to remember is that the 257wby and 257stw are the topfuel dragsters of 25 caliber world, by the time you get a load figured out...the bbl is seriously affected. you dont just take this gun to the range and rip off 100 rounds in a afternoon.

this is why...The cat, the Rat and dickly284 shoot more with less volatile and stable rounds
just remember...speed kills and how.
Sighted in w/ 110 grain accubonds, 2.7" high @ 100 yrds & 0'd @ 300. Not sure what the velocity was but I definity like the flat trajectory. Talked to a couple of guys at the gun shop & they recomeded the 110 grain bullet to keep the energy up out past 300 yards. BTW its a Vanguard w/ Stainless BBL.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
from memory, 100gr poke along at up to 3700fps
If you are driving the 100gr at 3700fps with a barrel 26" or shorter,the chamber pressure will likely be well above the design pressure for the cartridge.Barrel and brass life will also be shorter than normal.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Roger , You should get at least a couple thousand, mine was just starting to firecrack at 200, I traded it off cause I didn't like the gun and was scared to skratch it not cause it was anywhere near worn out. you should easily get 1500-2000 reasonably guilt edge accurate rounds out of a 257 wby if you don't cook the barrel shooting repetitive rounds to quickly and probably get few more thousand that would be plenty accurate enough to kill big game with.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 PM

It's suprising how far gone a barrel can be and still shoot good, sometimes thousands of rounds past its prime
Old 10-27-2007, 11:43 PM

"Prime" is always in the eye of the beholder
Minute of moose , minute of deer or bench Quality.. each to his/her own.
What ever your personal standards are...thats where you need to meet "your" standard. Doesnt matter what the borescope says.. is the grouping good enough, with your loads, for what YOU deem to be acceptable and within your personal range limitations . . I know that by simply switching bullets I can shrink my groups ..but is that what I want while hunting??
Paper targets are not the only deciding factor.. all that being said,,I still like to shoot the smallest groups with my hunting loads..it just takes a bit of work... not a bad way to spend a Sunday.. developing loads.