Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Default The Model 70 is Back

Had this news release from Howard Communications, Winchester's PR firm, show up in my Inbox today....

triggerpress

October 23, 2007

The Model 70 Is Back!

Morgan, Utah - The Winchester Model 70 is one of the most respected bolt-action rifle designs in the world. Winchester Repeating Arms is excited to announce the return of the Model 70 for 2008. The All-American Model 70s will be built by American craftsmen in Columbia, South Carolina, at the same state-of-the-art factory (FN Manufacturing) as the rifles and machine guns used by American's Armed Forces. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that the U.S. Government insists upon for military firearms.

For 2008 the new Model 70 has the all new M.O.A.™ Trigger System, improved fit and finish and enhanced accuracy to go along with its classic Pre-64 Controlled Round Feeding, Three-Position safety and solid, sure handling.

M.O.A.™ Trigger System. The new Model 70 M.O.A.Trigger System is the most precise three-lever trigger system ever offered to sportsmen. Operating on a simple pivoting lever principle, the trigger mechanism has been completely redesigned to exhibit zero take up, zero creep and zero overtravel. The pull weight ranges from 3 to 5 pounds and is factory-set at 3 3/4 pounds. Because of the enhanced ergonomics, wide smooth triggerpiece and 2:1 mechanical advantage created by the unique design geometry, it actually feels like half that weight.

Three-Position Safety. The improved three-position safety on the new Model 70 has proven effective and highly popular with hunters and shooters for decades. Convenient to operate with the thumb of the firing hand, the Model 70 safety lifts the firing pin away from the sear. Then the safety selector is in the middle position, the action can still be operated, allowing unfired cartridges to be cycled with the safety on.

Hammer-Forged Barrel. Model 70 barrels are cold hammer-forged from a solid billet of steel for accuracy and long life. Massive rotary hammers shape the barrel steel around a mandrel to create the rifling. The barrel is threaded, target crowned and installed on the receiver. The chamber is then reamed and the bolt is headspaced. This results in 1 MOA accuracy for three-shot groups using properly managed barrel, quality match ammo and superior optics under ideal weather and range conditions.

Blade-Type Ejector. The Model 70's blade-type ejector allows full control when ejecting a fired case. When pulling the bolt back slowly the empty case pops out gently, which is perfect for target shooters and varminters. Pulling the bolt back smartly allows the empty case to clear the port with greater force. The blade-type ejector helps to eliminate short-stroking malfunctions.

The new Winchester Model 70 will be offered in a Super Grade, Featherweight™ Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe and Extreme Weather SS models for 2008. All will feature a thick black Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad that will help take the bite out of recoil.

The Super Grade will be offered in 30-06 Sprg. and 300 Win. Mag and will feature a fancy grade walnut stock with contrasting black fore-end tip and pistol grip cap and a sculpted shadowline cheekpiece. Suggested Retail $1,149.00

The Featherweight Deluxe has an angled comb walnut stock with Schnabel fore-end and satin finish with elegant cut checkering. It will be offered in popular long and short action calibers, including WSM chamberings. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049.00.

The Sporter Deluxe features a satin finished walnut stock with cut checkering on trim fore-end and pistol grip, along with a sculpted cheekpiece. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049,99.

The Extreme Weather SS's premium Bell and Carlson composite stock features a trim, light feel with textured matte surface that gives a sure grip in any conditions. The Extreme Weather SS has a free floating, fluted stainless barrel to help minimize weight. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $1,149.00 tp $1,199.00. Delivery on all models will begin in June of 2008.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Now there is some good news for sure. June 2008 will not come soon enuff for me!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Default M70

Good news. Wonder how long us southpaws will have to wait.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Over priced !!!!!!! At those prices Remington and Savage will lead the way..Too bad.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 PM

You had to believe they weren't going to let such a famous (and valuable) brand name just fade away, even if it was someone else just paying a licencing fee to use the name. SOUNDS like it's not a Winchester factory. Wondering if Winchester will do design, quality control, etc., or did they just sell the plans and name?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
You had to believe they weren't going to let such a famous (and valuable) brand name just fade away, even if it was someone else just paying a licencing fee to use the name. SOUNDS like it's not a Winchester factory. Wondering if Winchester will do design, quality control, etc., or did they just sell the plans and name?
pessimism i like it

it will be good to see thanks triggerpress .
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
pessimism i like it

it will be good to see thanks triggerpress .
LOL not pessimistic, just wondering. And I don't know that this new factory or manufacturer's quality would be any better or worse than the original. They just tout the new factory (FN Manufacturing). Made me wonder how involved Winchester will be in the actual manufacture. Curious as to whether it's going to be true Winchester design and manufacture, or more like those Russian shotguns Remington is importing and slapping their nameplates on (Spartan/SPR).
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Makes me Happy with my New Coyote Lite I will actually have parts and warranty if needed I don't see the coyote Lite in the new line up to bad

"Shes a rhight saxy wee beasty ifin I do says so me'self"
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
Over priced !!!!!!! At those prices Remington and Savage will lead the way..Too bad.
Dont think so!
They will be eaten up fast. A GOOD true CRF Action, is a niche that has been (for the most part) missing in factory Rifles since they discontinued the Mod 70. Unless one wants to get into a very pricey Custom action like a Satterlee or WFF Hein. There arent alot of choices.

My prediction (provided QC & features, are as good or better as the previous 70) is that, once they hit the shelves.........they wont last long.

I know if they offer them in LH config. there will be a couple in my hands.

As far as Remington is concerned, while I am a HUGE fan of the 700, they are truly a bunch of junk in the last few yrs. compared to previous Rifles sent out by big green.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 AM

CMFIC, is right, the demand for the model 70 has gone through the roof since the New Haven plant closing.
They will turn these out and sell them for what the market will bear, and get a decent rate of return on their investment. Free enterprise dont you know.
I too wonder why no mention of left handed actions.
Until the Southpaw version comes out............................
Yawn.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM
101sonny

Default Good

This is great news .
Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;65048
Until the Southpaw version comes out............................
Yawn.[/QUOTE]

X2
Old 10-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Praise be to the Great Spirit who guides and watches over all those who hunt with the M70.

Fabulous news!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Browning input

Browning actually owns the Winchester name and product .As far as quaility and warranty it will probably be done through Browning .I just had a mod 70 replaced and it went through Browning in Montreal .The fisrt reports that I had heard was that they where going to call it a Browning model 70 .
I can't wait to see it might have to get some to go with my other 3.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I had heard was that they where going to call it a Browning model 70 .
Now that would be a marketing travesty!!!!!

I really couldnt see it happening...but who knows.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I honestly thought those prices are pretty comparable to the Remington's. I thought that the Remingtons have started get a bit pricey compared to some of the others.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Yes Remington has gone up over the last year...For that kind of money you can buy stainless lam Tikka or a for less a Savage 114 or Remington CDL...It is nice to see them back,
Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yes Remington has gone up over the last year...For that kind of money you can buy stainless lam Tikka or a for less a Savage 114 or Remington CDL...It is nice to see them back,
Sure can. Maybe Remmington wants to catch Sako and Wetaherby?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWiley View Post
Browning actually owns the Winchester name and product .As far as quaility and warranty it will probably be done through Browning .I just had a mod 70 replaced and it went through Browning in Montreal .The fisrt reports that I had heard was that they where going to call it a Browning model 70 .
Browning does not own Winchester, they are both owned by the Herstal Group. All the while Winchester has been closed herstal has been producing the FN (fabrique national, another firearms company they own) PBR rifle for the US military the last few years in South Carolina. The PBR is identical to the Model 70. They will be selling them under the Winchester name soon as the present union contract(the reason they closed the New haven plant) hanging over winchester from the new Haven days of a couple years ago expires in 2008.

I'm expecting a decent quality rifle as it has been public knowledge for quite a while through Matt Williams of Williams firearms that his company has been contracted to supply bottom metal floorplate assemblies for model 70's. He dosen't make junk.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
Now that would be a marketing travesty!!!!!

I really couldnt see it happening...but who knows.
Yeah, same as the "Browning model 12", what a crock.
When Ii talk about M12's , I'm talkin' about WINCHESTERS, NOT Brownings.

just a side note to those that are not aware, although Bbrwoning designed a mess of the firearms that winchester made, he did not designed the M12.

That was designd by Johnson IIRC.
Cat
Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM

I've always thought the post 64M 70 has spent its entire existence, resting on the laurels of its predecessor. Lots of equal or better guns available for less money.
Grizz
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

Matt Williams of Williams firearms that his company has been contracted to supply bottom metal floorplate assemblies for model 70's. He dosen't make junk.
That is good to hear. The photos don't show Orberndorf Style as I had hoped....
Old 10-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Matt Williams of Williams firearms that his company has been contracted to supply bottom metal floorplate assemblies for model 70's. He dosen't make junk.

I would bet that Williams has alot more to do with the new Winny than bottom metal!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
I would bet that Williams has alot more to do with the new Winny than bottom metal!

No doubt. I just hope they make a good gun right this time.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:46 PM

Bushrat, I actually heard personally from a very much "in the loop" US Gun maker, that Williams has tons of money & R&D in Winchester at this time.

Which if it is actually true, speaks volumes as to how the Model 70 should turn out.