Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Minor's licence.

Is a minor's licence of much value to a young fella for hunting? The hunting reg's say anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent,guardian,etc. Would he then be able to hunt without me right beside him as in maybe in the same 1/4 section?
Thanks,Al.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 AM
sheephunter

I think the word accompanied says it all! Being 1/2 a mile away doesn't really fall under the definition of accompanied.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 AM

Default minor's licence

If you mean firearms licence, if I remember correctly, it's an annual renewal thing. Option is to carry a copy of the youth's exam, and a letter from his firearms instructor stating his pass mark and date of course. Again, if I remember correctly. Check with your instructor to be sure.
Once the youth turns 18, submit the form, and a copy of the exam. The forms just recently changed, my son's came back and we had to resubmit with the new form.(exactly the same info, paper's slightly different size; guess some paper pusher needed some extra work).
If you mean a youth partner licence, Absolutely! That's one of the best things I've seen in awhile. With the draws you can alternate you and your child's draws, use a youth partner tag, and effectively double the youths hunting opportunities. The free birdgame that comes with a youth wildlife cert. is also a really nice touch.
Some pre planning with the youth partner licence can mean you can have all 4 deer tags on your child's first hunting trip. Any deer will do then.
Hat's off to whoever came up with the youth partner licence.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 AM

I got my son his minor's permit last year (he's 15 now, but was 14 when he got it). Before having it he would have to be within arms reach of me. Now he can move a little ways off, but has to remain within communicating distance - unaided by radio. It makes it a little more convenient, and I like that he has gone through the firearms course.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM

Thanks Ray. That is what I was wanting to know.

Al.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 AM

Also Ray, since your boy has done it,is Suka's info in his post accurate? Is it a annual renewal thing?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM

The minors firearms permit is probaly more important to a country kid, think of all those kids driving around with the farm truck with a 22 and some shells for shooting gophers. This last summer ther was a kid hassled (i don't think charges were layed) on that senario.

Even for mine, I look at it this way my boy have to pass hunters safety they might as well do a firearms safety too and after that it is just paper work. As I understand it they are eligable 12 and up.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
Also Ray, since your boy has done it,is Suka's info in his post accurate? Is it a annual renewal thing?
I'll have to check the Gov't website again, put I'm pretty sure that he's good until he's 18. Then he has to apply for his regular PAL.

Now that the age has been lowered for hunting with firearms, I have to get my youngest (he's 12) through both the firearms and the hunter education course. Happily, AHEIA has come out with the hunter education course in a web based format.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM

I should have checked first.
Taken from the CFC website:

Minor's Possession Licence (Form JUS 671)
A minor's possession licence permits the use of non-restricted firearms only. Most rifles and shotguns used for hunting are non-restricted firearms.

You are not permitted to acquire firearms with this licence. ("Acquire" means to buy, inherit, receive as a gift, or take in trade.)

(I bought my son a rifle this year, but it has to be registered to me until he is 18)

By December 31, 2002, any firearm used by a minor must be registered to a licensed adult. When you turn 18, you will be able to acquire and register firearms in your name.

To get a minor's possession licence, you must:

complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests, and
obtain consent from your parent or guardian in writing or in another form satisfactory to the Chief Firearms Officer.
Your parent or guardian will be required to attend an interview with a firearms officer. In most cases, you will also be required to attend. The firearms officer will notify you and/or your parent or guardian of the time and place of the interview.
(We did the course at AHEIA - they had all the paperwork - the interview was a quick phone call)

A firearms officer may attach conditions to a minor's possession licence. Conditions restrict your use of firearms and may include supervision, when the firearm may be used, and where it may be used. Before attaching any condition to your licence, the firearms officer must consult with your parent or guardian and get their consent. The length of time that your licence is valid (its term) will also be discussed and set. Your parent or guardian must then sign the application.

Your minor's possession licence may be valid for up to three years. It expires by the expiry date shown on the licence or when you turn 18. Once you turn 18, you must get an adult firearms licence before you use or acquire firearms. (People who use guns under someone else's direct supervision do not need a licence.)

Last edited by Ray; 10-23-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Found more - I really should shut up and read more

Firearm Users Younger than 18If you are less than 18 years old and want to use firearms in Canada, here is some information you should know about Canada’s Firearms Act. Unless otherwise specified, the information in this fact sheet is applicable to residents and visitors alike.

You cannot acquire a firearm by any means, including as a gift, nor can you bring a firearm into Canada. However, you may use firearms in certain cases, as described in this fact sheet.

Minor’s Licence
A minor’s licence will permit you to borrow non-restricted firearms (ordinary rifles and shotguns) for the following activities:

target practice;
hunting;
instruction in the use of firearms; and
taking part in organized shooting competitions.
A minor's licence will also permit you to acquire ammunition unless there are age restrictions under provincial law.

As a general rule, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a minor's licence:

You must be at least 12 years old. If you are younger than 12, you may obtain a minor's licence only if you are a Canadian resident and your provincial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines that you need to hunt or trap to sustain yourself or your family.
As a general rule, you must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests before you apply for a licence. However, an exception may be made if you are a Canadian resident and you need to hunt or trap in order to sustain yourself or your family.
To obtain a licence application form (CAFC 671), contact your provincial CFO. If you are a non-resident, contact the CFO of the province or territory where you will most likely use the firearm.

A firearms officer may interview you and/or your parent or a person who has custody of you. Your parent or guardian must agree to the conditions under which you may use firearms, and must give their consent, before a minor's licence will be issued to you.

Conditions may be placed on your licence. For example, some supervision may be required when you use a firearm.

Your minor's licence will expire on the earlier of:

the day you turn 18 years old, or
the expiry date shown on your licence.
Licence Fee
As a rule, the fee for a minor’s licence is $10 for up to one year, $20 for one to two years and $30 for over two years.

Exceptions:

You may not have to pay a licence fee if you need a firearm to hunt or trap in order to sustain yourself or your family.
The fee to renew a minor’s licence is waived until May 17, 2008.
Using Firearms Without a Minor’s Licence
If you do not have a minor’s licence, you may still use firearms of any class so long as you are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to you to be able to take immediate action to prevent you from doing anything with the firearm that is unsafe or against the law.

This provision affects cadets or members of other youth organizations who receive instruction in the use of firearms or who take part in target practice. It also applies to young people who go hunting or who use restricted or prohibited firearms in organized shooting competitions.

Turning 18
Once you turn 18, you will no longer be eligible for a minor’s licence. Instead, you will need to apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee. Currently, the fee only applies to the first PAL. Fees to renew a licence or modify licence privileges are waived until May 17, 2008.

Registration
All firearms must be registered. Only people who are 18 years old or older may register firearms. This means that any firearm you use must be registered to an adult who has a valid firearms licence.