Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Skunk under stairs...rental conibear?

Fairly sure I have a skunk setting up housekeeping under our rear stairs, never saw him buy there is a smallish entrance dug to under the landing and the plywood and large rock I used to cover it last night has been pushed over.

Regardless of what it is, I want it gone. Any ideas on the best way to do this? Looking at the entrance if I could get a medium conibear trap and place it at the entrance I might be able to kill him. Other choices would be to gas him out with a running engine, displace the area with propane from a tank& hose or stick a burning tiger torch under there for a while. I'm not too fussy on how it happens, just want it gone.

Any suggestions on the best way.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=316353

good advice in here
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Make sure you get video if you use the propane/tiger torch (jk) lol. I'm sure someone will have an idea of what type of trap to use.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Fairly sure I have a skunk setting up housekeeping under our rear stairs, never saw him buy there is a smallish entrance dug to under the landing and the plywood and large rock I used to cover it last night has been pushed over.

Regardless of what it is, I want it gone. Any ideas on the best way to do this? Looking at the entrance if I could get a medium conibear trap and place it at the entrance I might be able to kill him. Other choices would be to gas him out with a running engine, displace the area with propane from a tank& hose or stick a burning tiger torch under there for a while. I'm not too fussy on how it happens, just want it gone.

Any suggestions on the best way.
I'd be very careful with a connibear if you are in the city, you would be very unpopular if a neighbors pet got itself killed or hurt and I'd re-think the propane idea. That one seems like.........
Skunks around here get out of their hidey holes later in the evening to start hunting and then go back it the morning. Maybe go board it up late at night and/or use a hose/sprinkler under the porch to make it less appealing??
Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM

One that always works is the moth balls. Not the pleasant smelling things k- just the plain old white stinky ones. Throw them all around under the house and into the hole. The skunks will leave and not come back. Now they are your neighbors' problem.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Banned

Wait until late at night then scatter broken glass around the entrance to its den. When it returns after nocturnal activities it will not cross the shards and will relocate. Safe, ecological and easy to clean up.

Free (to try)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
One that always works is the moth balls. Not the pleasant smelling things k- just the plain old white stinky ones. Throw them all around under the house and into the hole. The skunks will leave and not come back. Now they are your neighbors' problem.
Been rethinking my stance on mothballs, if you're smelling them, you're inhaling toxic fumes.

Best to seal up the entrance and make sure they can't get back in. And yeah, if you're in the city, your neighbours may not appreciate the stink of a trapped skunk.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:23 AM

If you catch him in a conabear he will almost certainly spray. God help you
Bjay
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Princess Auto has skunks traps on sale this week. I just saw it on my online flyer this morning. Using this trap then you have to take it somewhere to release the skunk. Maybe you could wrassle it into a box and mail it to Turdo.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Princess Auto has skunks traps on sale this week. I just saw it on my online flyer this morning. Using this trap then you have to take it somewhere to release the skunk. Maybe you could wrassle it into a box and mail it to Turdo.
My Dad is the skunk guy at the beach he takes them for a swim off the dock in the cage, 32 last year.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Use a live trap unless you like the smell of skunk. Cover the trap with a blanket after you catch it and then drowned it and you shouldn't have any issues with it spraying.
A conibear is a bad idea.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Inject some antifreeze in a raw egg and put it some place under something only a skunk can get to, and you can get to dead skunk to remove once it eats it and dies without spraying . Don't leave where birds like magpies can find or they will be dead too.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Banned

I`d flood the place with propane THEN use the Tiger torch.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Update - not good news

So at the suggestion of a few folks I tried to discourage them from returning. I have put rags soaked in ammonia (was told they hate the smell and will leave)under the step, right where they sleep. I have put a bag of moth balls in the same place (told they hate the smell as well). I have covered an area near the entrance about 4'X4' with chicken wire (1", 20ga) and staked it down.

This morning I find the moth balls pushed onto the grass near the entry, the rags look to be buried and there is a hole, about 4" diameter through the chicken wire near the entry, some of the wires look to be bitten in through!

This is getting serious, looks like they really want in. Gonna chat with some professionals on the best way forward. Whatever they are I don't want to see a den of these things.

Persistent little buggers
Zeke
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM

When you are sure the offending critters are under the step, take a piece of barb wire and inserting it and twisting it at the same time, snag them and fish them out. When they come out have a buddy play whack a mole with a baseball bat or 2x4 or even a crowbar. Speed is of the essence. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Lure mr Stinkee out with fresh meat tidbits into a live trap,
** if by mistake you catch an innocent pet, you can release the pet,

Once you catch mr Stinkee , cover cage carefully and gently with blanket, place in pickup box, drive out to country for release, **
**Your choice, dead or alive
Make meat bait very small pieces, size of kernel corn, so to lure Stinkee from entrance to his unlawfull den to the live trap, in the trap have a good portion of fresh meat, bloodier the better, once gorges his belly full , he will be more peacful,,
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I`d flood the place with propane THEN use the Tiger torch.

Can I hold the camera?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
When you are sure the offending critters are under the step, take a piece of barb wire and inserting it and twisting it at the same time, snag them and fish them out. When they come out have a buddy play whack a mole with a baseball bat or 2x4 or even a crowbar. Speed is of the essence. Good luck.
If you go this route, have a 3rd person available with a video camera. This I have to see
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Place a radio by the hole. Leave it on. Skunks hate lots of noise. It will leave. Mothballs and pepper spray in the hole will help too.
Hopefully mama does not have a litter under there....
Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Place a radio by the hole. Leave it on. Skunks hate lots of noise. It will leave. Mothballs and pepper spray in the hole will help too.
Hopefully mama does not have a litter under there....
Tune it to a RAP channel - sure to drive almost everything away.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
X2 They work and very cheap fix. You can pick up a box of em at Can Tire, they also keep the pesky mice out of RV, garage pretty well every where.

Just throw a whole bunch of packs under your step, wait a few days to make sure it does not come back and then plug up the whole
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tune it to a RAP channel - sure to drive almost everything away.
Yoko Ono screaming on repeat, that'll drive anything away
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

Default $90 @ Wholesale Sports

Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Can I hold the camera?
you hold the camera and forward me the video
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Cover with Blanket

Skunk was in a live trap by the house. It was not my intention to catch a skunk. I tried this method after reading it on the web. This method is for suckers that are willing to try it. I made it maybe 12 ft in the dark before the skunk interpreted me walking up with a tarp as threatening and it sprayed. The only thing that saved me was that I was holding up a tarp and only caught a small part of the spray. The cage was really close to the house, smelled it for months. You can guess what plan B was. On another forum there was a pic of a trap with solid walls so they can not see out, which may work.

Last edited by ghl1; 03-28-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 PM

Put a small tv near the den entrance. Tune to CBC during a Justin Trudeau speech.

If he doesn't bolt he's going to get extremely nauseous.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM

Put a small tv near the den entrance. Tune to CBC during a Justin Trudeau speech.

If he doesn't bolt he's going to get extremely nauseous. Might even take his own life.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Smile Not a skunk

You would know for sure. Cover the hole so it can't be opened. If he is in there let him get VERY thirsty, a day or two ought to do it. Open hole for an hour or so and then seal permanently.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Can I hold the camera?
Skunks are always good for some entertainment, just ask my wife.

Grizz
Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
If you go this route, have a 3rd person available with a video camera. This I have to see
You know that's a video that would get lots of views/likes on You Tube ...

not for the " How to deal with a skunk " part , but for the two/or three grown men getting sprayed by a very ****ed off skunk .