Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 PM

Default Cool Story, dead cougar found in Ontario

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...tery-1.4041876

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM

If Ontario is like the other provinces in the east , officials will still deny the cougars existence and insist it was somebodys pet that escaped.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Banned

The way things are lately, wouldn't surprise me if some brought a cougar carcass from here just to confuse them
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Default Cougar

Im originally fron southern Ontario, Niagara falls to be exact. As a teen we fished for salmon,trout andbig walley in the Niagara river. We hiked through the Niagara gorge, biked the Bruce trail, all the fun stuff. Any way, doing all that playing we often came across cat tracks. Some times they were in the quarry where we fished for bass and sometimes in the sand along the river in the gorge. Now we as kids saw the tracks, land owners and hikers saw the cats, pets and livestock around Niagara on the lake were killed by the cats. Ministry of natural resources were notified and investigated, news papers were notified and reported. At the end of the day oficially the MNR said the cats dont exist in this region, must be coyotes and you people are mistaken. Lol, 30 years later, people still seeing big cats that dont exist slinking through their orchards.
They're around, always have been. Mnr still denies.

Tullfan
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM

We have big cats here on the flatlands of Manitoba also. Someone caught Natural resources releasing them into our area. They denied it. Farmer I know was loosing cattle to a big cat, so he put it down, and got in a lot of trouble. Apparently our area is a natural home for the big cats, so you can't touch them, and yet others have been told by Natural resources that they don't exist is our area, even though my neighbor got a picture of one running through her yard. It's a messy business trying to get the truth out here, thank goodness there aren't a lot of them running around.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
We have big cats here on the flatlands of Manitoba also. Someone caught Natural resources releasing them into our area. They denied it. Farmer I know was loosing cattle to a big cat, so he put it down, and got in a lot of trouble. Apparently our area is a natural home for the big cats, so you can't touch them, and yet others have been told by Natural resources that they don't exist is our area, even though my neighbor got a picture of one running through her yard. It's a messy business trying to get the truth out here, thank goodness there aren't a lot of them running around.
SSS?

Colin
Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM

I saw one run across the road in front of me as I was heading out deer hunting in the porcupine mtn's in west central Manitoba about 40 years ago.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Default Big Cats/Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Im originally fron southern Ontario, Niagara falls to be exact. As a teen we fished for salmon,trout andbig walley in the Niagara river. We hiked through the Niagara gorge, biked the Bruce trail, all the fun stuff. Any way, doing all that playing we often came across cat tracks. Some times they were in the quarry where we fished for bass and sometimes in the sand along the river in the gorge. Now we as kids saw the tracks, land owners and hikers saw the cats, pets and livestock around Niagara on the lake were killed by the cats. Ministry of natural resources were notified and investigated, news papers were notified and reported. At the end of the day oficially the MNR said the cats dont exist in this region, must be coyotes and you people are mistaken. Lol, 30 years later, people still seeing big cats that dont exist slinking through their orchards.
They're around, always have been. Mnr still denies.

Tullfan
X2
Out by lions creek and along the Chippewa creek road..
Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM

I've been in Alberta 5 years and for work spend the majority of my time in the bush and still the only cougar I've every seen was out on John Street Road west of Thunder Bay. They are everywhere in Ontario.