Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Default Passport Expiry WARNING!

WARNING!

A lot of countries will not allow you to enter their country unless your passport is valid up to 6 months after your planned return date. The airlines will not even allow you on the plane because you'll be refused entry into the country and they will have to fly you back!

A few weeks ago my Wife and Daughter were headed to Germany with a flight arrival in Strassbourg, France. French law requires that your passport be valid for at least 3 months after your scheduled departure date. My Daughter's passport expired 2 months after the planned return date and the airlines wouldn't book her. Flight money down the drain (I think)!
The lady issuing boarding passes said that she thought that it was 6 months for Mexico.

My Daughter booked through Expedia as did these folks in the article:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3302618/ex...e-to-passport/
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM

I fly a lot and have known this for quite sometime, but I can see if folks who don't fly often wouldn't know.

LC
Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM

I heard about this a few months back.
Just applied for a 10 year renewal this past Friday.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
WARNING!

A lot of countries will not allow you to enter their country unless your passport is valid up to 6 months after your planned return date. The airlines will not even allow you on the plane because you'll be refused entry into the country and they will have to fly you back!

A few weeks ago my Wife and Daughter were headed to Germany with a flight arrival in Strassbourg, France. French law requires that your passport be valid for at least 3 months after your scheduled departure date. My Daughter's passport expired 2 months after the planned return date and the airlines wouldn't book her. Flight money down the drain (I think)!
The lady issuing boarding passes said that she thought that it was 6 months for Mexico.

My Daughter booked through Expedia as did these folks in the article:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3302618/ex...e-to-passport/
This is where a travel agent would've saved the day,they would've caught the passport expiry date.Many people think travel agents charge more,some bigger agencies will charge a fee to research and plan your trip.The truth is travel agencies get the same pay as EXPEDIA and others alike.Good luck getting " a person" on any on line booking site to help you like a travel agent would.A travel agent will have many travel tips as well.Many travel agents have direct lines with airlines and build a personal business relationship over the phone,this goes a long way when trouble arises!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

Also I think it makes more sense to support a local business instead of an online giant worth millions
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM

I have been to Mexico a couple years ago with just less than a month left on my passport with no issues
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
I have been to Mexico a couple years ago with just less than a month left on my passport with no issues
First time we went, noticed our passports were expired when we got there. Nobody picked up on it. , but that was about 15 years ago.

Another glitch here on the news last week. apparently kid's passports can't be signed. Sounds stupid.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-...orts-1.3331771

Grizz
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
This might be something new, I've never heard about it before. You might want to look into it for your next trip because they won't even let you on the plane now if your passport is due to expire shortly after your scheduled return date. Like I mentioned above, the air carrier rep told us that she thought that it was 6 months for Mexico. It's definitely 3 months for France, just ask my Daughter who couldn't get on her flight.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 AM

As a frequent traveler who always ensures my passport is valid and renewed months ahead of time, I have a question for ya'll: whose responsibility is it to know the rules and make sure your passport is valid?

My wife works for an airline and she has been ripped to shreds verbally on several occasions by people who come in and expect to travel on expired or near expired passports (and other invalid id), as if it's her fault!!!

The stories she tells me about the shenanigans of travelers just blows my mind sometimes. Sometimes people even admit they know their passport is not valid or not going to be, but they just couldn't be bothered to renew it on time.

Know the rules people, know the rules. It can save you a lot of grief.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
As a frequent traveler who always ensures my passport is valid and renewed months ahead of time, I have a question for ya'll: whose responsibility is it to know the rules and make sure your passport is valid?

My wife works for an airline and she has been ripped to shreds verbally on several occasions by people who come in and expect to travel on expired or near expired passports (and other invalid id), as if it's her fault!!!

The stories she tells me about the shenanigans of travelers just blows my mind sometimes. Sometimes people even admit they know their passport is not valid or not going to be, but they just couldn't be bothered to renew it on time.

Know the rules people, know the rules. It can save you a lot of grief.
Like pretty much everything else, people expect someone else to do all the work for them. Then when they **** up, blame someone else who couldn't do anything about the situation for the problem.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Risky! Border agents CAN at their discretion, deny entry to anyone if their passport is set to expire in 6 months. You may get lucky and be OK, you also may be turned away and have to watch your party continue without you. This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Just like they can deny entry to the usa for almost any charge, no matter how long ago. Also at their discretion.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:47 AM

My Dad and Aunt were going on a trip....get to the airport, her passport was expired....bye bye holiday.

Totally her fault....costly mistake.

LC
Old 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Ask her when this 3month/6month expiry policy came into effect for various countries. I have literally traveled around the world but now usually only go to Mexico once a year and I've never heard of it before. Maybe I was just lucky that my passport wasn't close to expiring, I don't know.

I'll bet that there are lots of people like my Daughter and the couple in the posted article that aren't aware of the policy for each country. Perhaps a campaign to educate the public would save your Wife a lot of grief.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 PM

This has been in place since at least 2015.

May 28, 2015 - Does my passport need to be valid for at least 6 months prior to the ... What if my passport expires while I am outside Canada ?

Each county has their own requirements, 6 months likely being the longest time frame and therefore likely the best minimum guideline to follow.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/travel.asp

LC
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

^^^^^I would call 2015 a relatively new policy for people who aren't frequent flyers and don't keep up with the new regulations. ^^^^^
Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
^^^^^I would call 2015 a relatively new policy for people who aren't frequent flyers and don't keep up with the new regulations. ^^^^^
Open to interpretation but 2 years at LEAST is a fairly long time, travel agents know these things. Unfortunately web booking isn't perfect and likely lacks the check and balance.

LC
Old 03-27-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Flight money down the drain (I think)!
She may not be out of luck. There is a Express passport renewal service. Friend had to use it when he washed his passport and was issued a new one withing the business day. You need to jump through a few hoops and have proof of needing it (IE travel itinerary and bookings). Also need to go down to the passport office in person to apply for it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/urgent.asp
Old 03-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
She may not be out of luck. There is a Express passport renewal service. Friend had to use it when he washed his passport and was issued a new one withing the business day. You need to jump through a few hoops and have proof of needing it (IE travel itinerary and bookings). Also need to go down to the passport office in person to apply for it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/urgent.asp
Yeah, we discussed doing that however there was also the issue of re-booking and paying for a new flight. She saved on the cost of the flight by shopping for a discount and booking well in advance. A last minute flight was double the cost in addition to the money that she spent and possibly lost for the first flight.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we discussed doing that however there was also the issue of re-booking and paying for a new flight. She saved on the cost of the flight by shopping for a discount and booking well in advance. A last minute flight was double the cost in addition to the money that she spent and possibly lost for the first flight.
That is unfortunate. I was hoping maybe tried the self check in the day before and it could have saved the day. But alas it was not to be. Hopefully it wasn't to expensive of a lesson.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to an article from June 2006.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/13342877/n.../#.WNnDK4ErLIU

It's an American news article, but the countries listed in it have the same rules for everybody. Some countries have had such rules for a long time, and it is often different for different countries, EACH OF WHOM MAKE THEIR OWN RULES, and change them as they see fit.

It's also wise to check which countries require a VISA to enter. My wife has had to turn people down for boarding because they didn't have one of those either.