Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Drift Boat Advice

Hi Guys,

I currently own an older drift boat, and am in the market for a new one. Most likely going to source one down south from either Clacka, Hyde or RO. I know many of you own drift boats, so I am reaching out to you to see if you have some good lesson's learned from your purchasing experience.

As you all know, there's lots of customization available, from seats, to storage, coolers, rod holders, yada yada yada, the process seems a little overwhelming. A list of "must haves", and "wish I hads" could be quite long, so what are your recommendations?

Also, what about the size/profile of the boat? Right now I think I have settled on a 16' low profile style. Does this seem suitable for the Bow? Most of the manufactures seem to think so. I would like something comfortable for 3 people.

Anyway, It's going to be a $10,000+ purchase so I just wanted to make sure I cover all the angles. Any wisdom, advise, experiences you could share would be much appreciated!!

Thank you.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Not much for advice but I'm looking to buy a drift boat. Any pictures?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Not much for advice but I'm looking to buy a drift boat. Any pictures?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Hi Brandon,

I just sent you a PM
Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM
AO Sponsor

Low profile is definitely the way to go in the Bow - much easier to get in and out of and you won't get pushed by the wind as much.

I've owned Clackacraft in the past and own a Hyde now. Never fished in a RO. I find that the gel coat on the Hyde gets banged up much easier than Clack but not a big deal. I just recoat once in a while. If I were buying new again I'd seriously consider a bottom coating before it hits the river though.

The advantage of the Hyde is you can add a lot of options after purchase. They used to bring stuff up to they Fly Fish expo so you could pick it up without having to pay for shipping.

Anyway, if I were buying again, for me the must haves are:

- lots of storage especially if you want to do overnight trips
- leg brace front and back
- spike anchor with storage on the trailer
- spare oar with mounts
- boat cover
- spare tire on the trailer

I have pedestal seats right now and I'd be tempted to move away from them as fly line gets wrapped around them. If I buy another I'd likely go with a storage seat at the rear and one of the yeti cooler seats up front. I'm not sure how easy the yeti cooler is to remove so it might be a pain to clean though.

I only have cheapo aluminum oars. A lot of people grumble about them when they use them as they're not well balanced and are heavy but I'm used to them. To each their own there.

Another thing to consider is aluminum vs fiberglass hulls. You will get dinged up a lot on the Bow with fiberglass but it's easy to repair.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyFlyWorks View Post
Low profile is definitely the way to go in the Bow - much easier to get in and out of and you won't get pushed by the wind as much.

I've owned Clackacraft in the past and own a Hyde now. Never fished in a RO. I find that the gel coat on the Hyde gets banged up much easier than Clack but not a big deal. I just recoat once in a while. If I were buying new again I'd seriously consider a bottom coating before it hits the river though.

The advantage of the Hyde is you can add a lot of options after purchase. They used to bring stuff up to they Fly Fish expo so you could pick it up without having to pay for shipping.

Anyway, if I were buying again, for me the must haves are:

- lots of storage especially if you want to do overnight trips
- leg brace front and back
- spike anchor with storage on the trailer
- spare oar with mounts
- boat cover
- spare tire on the trailer

I have pedestal seats right now and I'd be tempted to move away from them as fly line gets wrapped around them. If I buy another I'd likely go with a storage seat at the rear and one of the yeti cooler seats up front. I'm not sure how easy the yeti cooler is to remove so it might be a pain to clean though.

I only have cheapo aluminum oars. A lot of people grumble about them when they use them as they're not well balanced and are heavy but I'm used to them. To each their own there.

Another thing to consider is aluminum vs fiberglass hulls. You will get dinged up a lot on the Bow with fiberglass but it's easy to repair.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Ben,

First of all...thanks for all the flies you just sent me

Second of all...this fibreglass vs. aluminum combo seems to be quite the debate. Right now I have a wood with fibreglass bottom and it works really well. Never really even thought about fibreglass. I always assumed most guides use fibreglass...am I wrong?

Also great point about the pedestal seats. I thought they would be the best for maximizing floorspace...but the fly line getting tangle comment has me thinking!!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM

i have an LP aluminum hyde. Everytime i row my buddies low pro fiberglass clacka i swear i am gonna sell my boat and buy a fiberglass. it feels like the boat glides on the water if you know what im saying. i find it takes less effort to hold a spot or hold a line than my aluminum. i really don't like the spongy bouncy floors though. but thats preference.

Then when i get into my aluminum it just feels solid. have so much storage. the debate is never ending. but i love my Hyde wouldn't go otherwise. the storage and the modulations is super nice.

Also the Hydes always want to make a deal so you can use that to your advantage.

pm me and i can give you some more in depth insight that you might find valuable
Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 PM

Hi,

I have the following and I have really enjoyed it for 10 years:

16 foot aluminum low pro,
full uhmw bottom,
removable hip braces (better for travelling, snug fitting full cover)
side rod storage with tip protectors
Storage: rowers seat, two side compartments (separate from rowers seat so you can access/store items without getting up) and full compartments under the bow and stern seats - you really cannot have enough storage when you have three people in the boat, 2 rods each, life jackets, fly boxes, clothing, gear etc. All benches are adjustable and removable for easy cleaning or adjusting.
Adjustable rowers foot brace to accommodate different heights.
There is exactly enough room between the foot brace and bow bench to fit a yeti 45 (which can also be another seat)
Balanced oars - this is something I didn't appreciate until I rowed a boat that didnt have them.
Foot operated anchor release

The only item I purchased afterwards was an anchor nest that is inside the boat. It securely stores an animal anchor when travelling and since it is always in the. Boat you won't forget it in the truck (did that too many times to count...)

My $0.2

Regards,
Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Hi,

I have the following and I have really enjoyed it for 10 years:

16 foot aluminum low pro,
full uhmw bottom,
removable hip braces (better for travelling, snug fitting full cover)
side rod storage with tip protectors
Storage: rowers seat, two side compartments (separate from rowers seat so you can access/store items without getting up) and full compartments under the bow and stern seats - you really cannot have enough storage when you have three people in the boat, 2 rods each, life jackets, fly boxes, clothing, gear etc. All benches are adjustable and removable for easy cleaning or adjusting.
Adjustable rowers foot brace to accommodate different heights.
There is exactly enough room between the foot brace and bow bench to fit a yeti 45 (which can also be another seat)
Balanced oars - this is something I didn't appreciate until I rowed a boat that didnt have them.
Foot operated anchor release

The only item I purchased afterwards was an anchor nest that is inside the boat. It securely stores an animal anchor when travelling and since it is always in the. Boat you won't forget it in the truck (did that too many times to count...)

My $0.2

Regards,
Thanks Albany!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
The only item I purchased afterwards was an anchor nest that is inside the boat.

Where'd you pick that up? That sounds even better than an anchor nest on the trailer. I've forgotten the anchor in the truck too.

I also forgot the anchor in the boat once before driving home. Ended up doing a fair bit of fiberglass repair after that...
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyFlyWorks View Post
Where'd you pick that up? That sounds even better than an anchor nest on the trailer. I've forgotten the anchor in the truck too.

I also forgot the anchor in the boat once before driving home. Ended up doing a fair bit of fiberglass repair after that...
Hi - I got Koffler boats to build it for me. I got my jet built by them a few years ago and it came with one. I took measurements of the drift boat and sent Joe a few pictures and they built it to spec - I thought it was an excellent deal for $100.

To the OP: Koffler is someone you may want to check out for a drift boat - they are about a nice as they get and he will custom build you whatever you want. Best part is you can drive down to pick it up and fish the willamette and deschutes on the way home.

Cheers,
Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googan View Post
i have an LP aluminum hyde. Everytime i row my buddies low pro fiberglass clacka i swear i am gonna sell my boat and buy a fiberglass. it feels like the boat glides on the water if you know what im saying. i find it takes less effort to hold a spot or hold a line than my aluminum. i really don't like the spongy bouncy floors though. but thats preference.

Then when i get into my aluminum it just feels solid. have so much storage. the debate is never ending. but i love my Hyde wouldn't go otherwise. the storage and the modulations is super nice.

Also the Hydes always want to make a deal so you can use that to your advantage.

pm me and i can give you some more in depth insight that you might find valuable
Did you get my PM?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM

Just wanted to bump this in case someone wants to add their .02 cents!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:38 PM

Many of you have inquired about my current boat. I just posted it on Kijiji, here is the link:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-p...ationFlag=true

$4150 OBO. Let me know if you'd like any more info!

Last edited by Dr.Shortington; 02-15-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 AM

Default flycraft

I have just started looking into fly fishing and I came across a company out of the states called Flycraft. Appear to be a bit of a hybrid between a drift boat, a white water craft and a stand up board. Blow up pontoons, solid floor and stable platform, runs in 4 inch's of water.

Heard about it actually on the Gritty Bowman podcast #200.

Cost about $5000 fully kitted but can be taken apart to fit in the trunk of a car.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 PM

So I have narrowed my search to one of these:

Clacka: Eddy, Low Profile, or Weight Forward

Hyde: Contender or XL Low Profile

Do many of you run low profile style boats on the Bow? Or do you find they are too low (as in you take on water)?

I am having a real hard time finding some information, everyone seems to have different opinions. I talked to the guys at Iron Bow and they all run Clackas, so I thought I was set on them but then I talked to the guys at Fish Tales and they all run Hyde. Every time I think I am on to something I get an opinion of the opposite.

Iron Bow recommended a Weight Forward Clacka as they are a little higher side than a low profile and Fish Tales seems to prefer the XL low profile. Really struggling over this decision.....
Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 AM

I've had both prefer the clacka.......its quiet..not as many sharp edges...boat flexes much better.......the list goes on...oh , yeah it also tracks bettr
Old 03-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I've had both prefer the clacka.......its quiet..not as many sharp edges...boat flexes much better.......the list goes on...oh , yeah it also tracks bettr
What style Clacka would you recommend?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Talking

The eddy bros.....low pro is the only way to go
Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
The eddy bros.....low pro is the only way to go
I have heard a few people say the low pros can take on water in the Bow. I am sure it's more or less a non issue, but I would like a little flexibility if I wanted to float another river. That being said I have never floated the Red Deer, Old Man, Elk, or Crow. Would a low pro be fine on these rivers? Or would it help to have a little bit higher side boat? Decisions decisions....
Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 AM

Low pro is all you need man....high side is harder to get in and out especially for the elderly..
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM

low pro all the way, the rivers you talked about floating have no serious rapids to be of concern. With the low profile boats I have owned there has been a few times that I have took on water, but never any dangerous amounts, never once was it even enough water that bailing some out would be necessary, just waited till the end of the float when the drain plugs are pulled. And as the previous poster mentioned, LP's are way easier to get in and out of.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM

Low profile drift boats:

I by no means am trying to offend anyone but I would be highly suspect of a rowers competency if claiming a low profile drift boat takes on water on the bow of all rivers - and I cannot think of too many stretches of the bow I have not been. I have a low profile boat now and I have done several trips on the deschutes, Blackfoot (and in spring), upper Madison, bitterroot etc without any issue whatsoever - and these rivers make the bow look like a slow moving lake.

I would strongly encourage you to go low profile, high sided boats really are a pain to get in and out of especially if you anchor in a foot or two of water- as for brand sit in (and if you can wait -row) as many brands as possible before making your descision.

Regards
Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Low Profile XL Hyde for us. If you intend any use on lakes, the Low Profile is definitely key, you'll get pitched around in wind. But its the cats ass with an 85lb thrust electric.I've put it down the North Sask in the upper reaches, Bow, and Red deer, without issue. Tailwaters down south would be just fine as well.

Something you should keep in mind though. Our access to rivers throughout the province is rather **** poor comparatively to rivers south of the border, and better experiences can be had buying a high quality raft w/ fishing frame or even the NRS inflatable drift boat for a fraction of the price used/new. These do not require a boat launch and that can be a huge issue if you ever decide you want to float anything thats truly worth exploring. You can turn pretty much any cut line/access to a river into a take out point.

If I had it my way and could do it again. I'd have two boats, a Jon/Jet set up for rowing rivers like the bow/oldman/red deer, etc and a 2-3 person whitewater raft and fishing frame. If you shop hard enough used, you could have both the whitewater raft and jon/jet for the price of a new drift boat.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Low profile drift boats:

I by no means am trying to offend anyone but I would be highly suspect of a rowers competency if claiming a low profile drift boat takes on water on the bow of all rivers - and I cannot think of too many stretches of the bow I have not been. I have a low profile boat now and I have done several trips on the deschutes, Blackfoot (and in spring), upper Madison, bitterroot etc without any issue whatsoever - and these rivers make the bow look like a slow moving lake.

I would strongly encourage you to go low profile, high sided boats really are a pain to get in and out of especially if you anchor in a foot or two of water- as for brand sit in (and if you can wait -row) as many brands as possible before making your descision.

Regards
Yeah I tend to agree with you. I literally had never been in a drift boat before in my life until I bought mine. Went down the bow without any problems. I never want to be over confident but I have floated from Glenmore to Carseland and cant really think of any spots that I would consider tricky for a low pro. That being said I have zero experience floating any of the other rivers in AB or Montana...