Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 AM

Default What's the best surplus 7.62X39?

Hey everyone
I'm curious to hear what you're thoughts/opinions are when it comes to what you think the best surplus 7.62x39 is? Good/Bad experiences, What shoots the best in your guns, which guns, Corrosive, non-corrosive (is it really), lets hear it.

THE SNOW CAN'T MELT FAST ENOUGH!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Whatever is cheapest.

I personally like the Czech stuff because it is on stripper clips. Rumour has it that this is some of the most corrosive ammo out there, but it's a non issue if you clean as required. It is steel core, which is great if you are ever assaulting a position with moderate cover, or a lightly-armored vehicle. Not so great for pretty much anything else.

I've never bothered to compare any other ammo in my SKS. There is a great thread over on CGN comparing different surplus 7.62X39:

h ttp://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?776009-Range-Report-8-different-7-62x39
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Wolverine's

Get a box from wolverine supplies in virden mb. 1200 rounds all on stripper clips for 190 bucks. Its the same surplus ammo as everywhere else
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM

I didn't notice a big difference between Czech corrosive and non-corrosive surplus. Just a matter of whether you want to clean as often in my eyes haha. Gotta be on the ball with corrosive though.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM

I've used a few different ones....
Got corrosive and non corrosive.
I use corrosive on days where a lot of shooting takes place.
Coyote hunting and stuff I use the non corrosive...ones MPS,can't remember the other.
I've left the CZ858 uncleaned after shooting non corrosive and have no issues.
Accuracy is same with all but to only shoot 10-20 rounds thru a gun and have to clean it is a pita...I'll pay extra for non corrosive on those days.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
I've used a few different ones....
Got corrosive and non corrosive.
I use corrosive on days where a lot of shooting takes place.
Coyote hunting and stuff I use the non corrosive...ones MPS,can't remember the other.
I've left the CZ858 uncleaned after shooting non corrosive and have no issues.
Accuracy is same with all but to only shoot 10-20 rounds thru a gun and have to clean it is a pita...I'll pay extra for non corrosive on those days.
Well I never cleaned after 10-20 rounds, It's more of a leaving it to sit and corrode issue. I've put 200-300 corrosive rounds in a day with no loss of accuracy, I think it's about getting home and cleaning all that crap outta there and not leaving it to chew away. Never had an issue with my SKS that way. She was cleaner when I sold it than when I bought it "new".
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Anybody have that norinco non-corrosive silver box stuff?... some ppl are saying its actually corrosive? I always clean my guns after shooting but it would be a p*** off to think your safe since its NC to then find your gun full of rust. Anyone have that happen?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

How do you know if it's corrosive vs non corrosive?? Just by country of origin??
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
How do you know if it's corrosive vs non corrosive?? Just by country of origin??
Everything that I've seen, it's labelled by the seller as corrosive or non corrosive. If your buying second hand I'd guess you'd just have to take the sellers word.

The crate of Czech surplus I had came as individually wrapped loaded stripper clips with a label saying country of origin date of Manf. And that is was corrosive.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM

My son is shooting the corrosive surplus from milarm in his sks. It shoots as well is the non corrosive stuff we got at Cabelas.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 AM

Default Holy s**t

I just received an e-mail from a supplier that the old stock in china of non-corrosive norinco ammo is GONE! ?? And as I'm writing this I just herd on the radio that North Korea is threatening attacks on the USA by a "smaller, lighter and diversified" nuclear force and warning, "The moment of explosion is approaching fast." HOLY S**T?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
I just received an e-mail from a supplier that the old stock in china of non-corrosive norinco ammo is GONE! ?? And as I'm writing this I just herd on the radio that North Korea is threatening attacks on the USA by a "smaller, lighter and diversified" nuclear force and warning, "The moment of explosion is approaching fast." HOLY S**T?
Grab your gun

I've put tons of corrosive through and SKS, and even for some stupid reason let it sit for a few days. The thing basically cemented itself together, took a hell of a lot of work to disassemble and clean.

If it's corrosive... CLEAN THE GUN RIGHT AWAY.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
Uh huh. And I just watched the documentary "Red Dawn".

(I didn't think it was possible to remake it worse than the original, but I was wrong)

I've noticed small amounts of corrosion around the gas tube on my SKS after leaving it sit 15 or so hours after shooting Czech corrosive.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Corrosive ammo is not as bad as everyone thinks IMO.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyRX58ZHGg
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKing View Post
Corrosive ammo is not as bad as everyone thinks IMO.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyRX58ZHGg
Ammunition in video is described as Yugoslav surplus, and "mildly corrosive". Surplus 7.62X39 ammo all have different corrosive properties, including much of the supposedly "non-corrosive" surplus sold by some vendors.

You're right, the corrosion due to even the worst of the lot is probably not going to ruin your rifle overnight. Or even in a week. But it is going to begin corroding immediately, that's fact.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Obviously all guns are different and what shoots good in one gun may not shoot good in another. Have you guys ever had a box of milsurp ammo that just didn't hit the paper like others? Something that your gun just seemed to spray all over? If you had crates of Romanian, Czech, norinco, yugo, Russian, etc and they were all the same amount of rounds, cost per round, and corrosive..what would you choose? Do any of you guys have a favorite?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Norinco

Norinco/Chinese non-corrosive ammo is good but loaded hot as gun shoots to point of aim just a foot high at 100 yards! Better than cleaning the other out every time you shoot it.I handload both the SKS and my T33 for the same reason.If you're going to rattle off 100 rds use what's cheapest and clean it.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Ive gone through 1500 rds of czech on stripper clips with 100% fire rate. I ran out and bought chinese surplus from 1968 an 250 rounds in with 100% fire rate. They both shoot about the same I found. And when it comes to soft point I find the Privi Partizan shoots great and puts coyotes down FAST.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 PM

As long as you clean it after a day at the range. I've not found a difference in any of the suppliers I've fired.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Wasn't all ammo made pre 40s corrosive?

Regardless, there was a guy on cgn that tested the major commbloc ammo. He put up groupings etc.if I remember correctly, he ranked the Russian best with Chinese a close second.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 PM

I remember shooting a selection of AK's in Poland a few years back. The ammo we were using was the dirtiest stuff you could ever imagine. There was black crud all over my hands, and it smelt like cat p*ss. Cracks all in the cases.

Super smokey, too. I would have bet money they had used some kind of black powder in those cartridges.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Czech on clips are definitely the best. Corrosive, yes, but very reliable, consistent and actually accurate :-). Clean thoroughly, so shoot long practice sessions to justify cleaning :-).
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM

If you are on CGN, read this thread (hope I am not breaking any rules posting a link)

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ferent-7-62x39
Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Good information thank you

Tags
7.62x39, cz 858, mini 30, sks, surplus