Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Bedding A Weatherby Vanguaurd,What A Difference

I have a friend with a 25-06 S1 with cheap plastic stock.It shot pretty good when it was new and he recently started shooting it again with the same reload's and it was terrible.
We changed the scope and it didn't make much of a difference.
We shimmed the recoil lug and free floated the barrel and tried it and it shot a lot better so I filled in fore end of the stock with fiberglass to stiffen the flimsey stock and fill in in front of recoil lug(there was nothing there) and bedded the recoil lug and 1 1/2 of the barrel with fast dry JB weld.
We shot it today and it is shooting consistently 1\2 inch groups at a 100 yards
I have a 6.5 creedmoor in a S2 that shoots pretty good.Its getting bedded next.
Will post my results.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 PM

I just bedded my sako in a Boyd's stock. It sounds like I did a similar job as you did. Bedding about 1.5 in passed the lug. There seems to be some controversy about bedding the taper of the barrel. But I will give it a try. What's the worst than can happen? I'll just have to drummel it away if it doesn't like bedding there. I hope I have good results. The sako stock never fit my rite. And I think that rifle should shoot better that it did. I love the look and feel of the new stock. I used probed 2000. It worked really nice.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 02-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:39 AM

There's a good reason why those cheap plastic stocks are so cheap!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I just bedded my sako in a Boyd's stock. It sounds like I did a similar job as you did. Bedding about 1.5 in passed the lug. There seems to be some controversy about bedding the taper of the barrel. But I will give it a try. What's the worst than can happen? I'll just have to drummel it away if it doesn't like bedding there. I hope I have good results. The sako stock never fit my rite. And I think that rifle should shoot better that it did. I love the look and feel of the new stock. I used probed 2000. It worked really nice.
I bedded my 6.5-06 rem 700 and free floated it and shot it for probably a year, put a little bed near the end of the forearm just to try it and it did tighten my groups a little.
You never know till you try it.