Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Freezing Ducks for winter?

I take my ducks as they are and freeze them ,course it's a game only freezer.By this time of year I really enjoy cooking them, I skin them and when I place them in the oven I layer the breast with salt pork strips,always great in my opinion.How about you guys what's your procedure.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM

you clean the birds first , right? lol

I will usually do a brine or concentrate OJ and freeze them in the brine. by time they dethaw, ready for BBQ or whatever im doing with them. been doing allot of duck jerky lately
Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Breast them out, then smoke the carcasses for soup.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Breast them out marinade overnight in a plastic bag with zesty Italian dressing.

On the barbque and your kids will fight each other to get at it.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Used to clean them and pack into empty 2l waxed Cardboard milk cartons and half fill with water and freeze to freeze the duck to the bottom- Then fill the rest of the way-Collapse the spout flat and freeze.-Absolutely no freezer burn
Old 04-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Default Freezing ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
you clean the birds first , right? lol

I will usually do a brine or concentrate OJ and freeze them in the brine. by time they dethaw, ready for BBQ or whatever im doing with them. been doing allot of duck jerky lately
No sir I don't clean em,only when i thaw them to cook,they taste delicious same as the day they were shot, gizzards and heart still good,and never any freezer burn,I only keep them for a year then I restock.Ive been doing it this way for 40yrs,matter of fact I have one in the oven for supper.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:51 PM

I would worry about the gut juices starting to rot them and spoil them.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM

They don't get time to rot if they are frozen the same day.I would guess that ducks would last 3or 4days in cool weather before they would begin to rot,besides some people prefer to wait 2or 3days before eating the meat, gives it time to season, I like rabbits that way just hang somewhere cool for 3or4days before skinning.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 PM

I'll take your word for it. I just know that I have gutted ducks a few hours after shooting them and they already stink from the gut juices. The ones that were head shot didn't stink at all.
You're probably right. But that is why I was thinking that. Heck maybe that gut juice starts breaking them down a little quicker and they are more tender.
Maybe not too.....
Old 04-04-2015, 07:32 PM

Default I know very little about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
They don't get time to rot if they are frozen the same day.I would guess that ducks would last 3or 4days in cool weather before they would begin to rot,besides some people prefer to wait 2or 3days before eating the meat, gives it time to season, I like rabbits that way just hang somewhere cool for 3or4days before skinning.
but I do know that my late uncle, who was a serious bird hunter, used to gut and skin/pluck them right away and then hang them (duck and geese) for several days, before cooking or freezing them. His duck/goose a l'orange, with his own stuffing and marinade was magnifique, to say the least. I have eaten them as prepared by other hunters and have to say they were just not very good at all in comparison.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
but I do know that my late uncle, who was a serious bird hunter, used to gut and skin/pluck them right away and then hang them (duck and geese) for several days, before cooking or freezing them. His duck/goose a l'orange, with his own stuffing and marinade was magnifique, to say the least. I have eaten them as prepared by other hunters and have to say they were just not very good at all in comparison.
What you say is true,and there are many hunters, who feel as you do. and prepare them the same way.Ive not been particular whether they were gut shot or other,when the bird is frozen so is all that is bad or good,now when you thaw it,which takes a couple of days because of the feathers and skin,if you leave it to long it can begin to get bad, that has happened to me some.But like the saying, to each his own.Thanks though for taking the time to comment.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Work permitting,I sometimes will hang birds for a few days before I clean/eat them.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Freezing ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Work permitting,I sometimes will hang birds for a few days before I clean/eat them.
I don't know if you ever seen that old movie starring Richard Chamberlain,called Shogun,theres a part in there where it was typical to hang birds by the neck until their heads fell off.Id bet money that is probably the best time to cook em. In any case I never eat game the same day as it was shot.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:55 PM

I marinate de-boned duck breasts in zesty Italian dressing o/night, and then cut a slit lengthwise to form a pouch or pocket - something like a 1/2 pita bread pouch. Then mix cream cheese with chopped 'tame' jalapeņo peppers (they come in jars in the pickle section), and fill the pockets with this mixture. Wrap the breast with a slice of bacon, using a toothpick to 'seal' the pocket and hold the bacon in place.
Now BBQ over a medium heat until the bacon is almost crispy. The duck should be med/rare.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Used to clean them and pack into empty 2l waxed Cardboard milk cartons and half fill with water and freeze to freeze the duck to the bottom- Then fill the rest of the way-Collapse the spout flat and freeze.-Absolutely no freezer burn
Good way to freeze fish too.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.