Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM

Default Galveston Texas - what to see?

I'll be visiting Galveston for the 1st time, - be there for a few days later this month. Just my wife and I - no kids.
Staying down in the historic 'Strand' area.
Any 'must-see/must-do/must eat' recommendations ?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM

If you drive up towards woodlands, on I45, on the exit that the Flying J is on, there's a corvette restoration shop. In the same mini mall, there's a bar/movie theater, where you can order food, drink, alcohol, etc., while you're watching the movie. Can't remember the name of it. you can order during the movie, and they bring it to you...

Go to a tourist info center there. Get a texas guidebook.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 PM

I am also going there at the end of April. Just booked a fishing trip. Someone else I know that has been there found a hole in the wall resturant called shrimp and stuff that they ate at everyday. Also recommended was the ocean caberet but the wife may not appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 PM

Spring Break in Galveston-That should be relaxing!

The Bet-C is a tasty breakfast dish at the Mosquito
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Get some breakfast burritos from any of the authentic Mexican places. Can still taste them..... Surf fishing is fun. You can also drive up to the Johnson Space centre in Houston? Remember it was a 30 to 45 min drive and was worth seeing.

Alba gu brath!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:18 AM

Not to far of a drive to the west past Brownsville and you are at the Alamo, if my memory serves me correctly. I never did stop in but whish I had. David,
Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 AM

The USS Texas Battleship is a museum in Houston, about a hour away. It is interesting wander around on.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Ok, this is on the weird side, but... I spent an enjoyable hour or two wandering around the old graveyard there. Interesting. You can actually see when hurricanes or yellow fever occurred. Life was tough in the early 1800's. No, not a ghoul, just a history buff. LOL

Oh, and enjoy the refinery-ravaged landscape on the way down. Some ugly history there too.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

there are some really neat resteraunts with decks out over the waves, in Houston to the right of I45 is a street called FM1960 go down there bout 1 1/2 miles on the left is a place I believe its called the blue lagoon or blue oyster, the best crawdads you will find in texas
Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Terrific suggestions guys, I'm making notes of every one!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 PM

Might as well stop at NASA while you head to galveston. Caught a few fish at the end of the road. You will likely see a few people fishing from shore. Ask them what they are using for bait. Then catch fish. Relaxing, enjoy the heat. Stop at a crawfish restaurant. They are everywhere.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:21 PM

I went to Galveston last Easter, I would recommend that you watch some youtube video of the 1900 Hurricane that devastated the city. It will give you some sobering perspective while there. There is an aviation museum there that offers rides in various warplanes for a very reasonable rate. Regrettably I put it off too long while there and unfortunately the ceiling was too low to fly on the one day I had left. The Alamo is very cool but its in San Antonio and four hours away, if you go though, the river walk in San Antonio is amazing and right beside the fort. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Banned

There is a beautiful Orvis shop in Houston.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Default galveston

The aircraft museum at one time was a working museum, maybe still is; Johnson Space Centre on the way from Houston
Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 PM

Galveston is small. Just wander and check out what's interesting. I would go into Houston for sure. See the NASA tour. There is a park/ attraction near there that I can't think of now that was fun and I took my family to when I lived there. I would eat at any authentic Mexican place that was there. Stop at sonic for a cherry limeade and Shipley's for a donut. If you drive to Humble and then go east on FM 1960 you will see a shooting range on the right. I would stop and look around. It is huge. Just huge. Head up to Old Spring and check out the old western town. Go the the HEB grocery store. Go to the meat counter and ask for some steamed shrimp. They will season it and steam it and put it in a paper bag. It will be great. They may not have it in the spring but I remember it in the fall for sure. Get some fresh crawfish if possible. Lots of stuff to do. I kinda miss Houston but it was too urban for me to stay.

Oh. And hit a good BBQ joint.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
Galveston is small. Just wander and check out what's interesting. I would go into Houston for sure. See the NASA tour. There is a park/ attraction near there that I can't think of now that was fun and I took my family to when I lived there. I would eat at any authentic Mexican place that was there. Stop at sonic for a cherry limeade and Shipley's for a donut. If you drive to Humble and then go east on FM 1960 you will see a shooting range on the right. I would stop and look around. It is huge. Just huge. Head up to Old Spring and check out the old western town. Go the the HEB grocery store. Go to the meat counter and ask for some steamed shrimp. They will season it and steam it and put it in a paper bag. It will be great. They may not have it in the spring but I remember it in the fall for sure. Get some fresh crawfish if possible. Lots of stuff to do. I kinda miss Houston but it was too urban for me to stay.

Oh. And hit a good BBQ joint.
Crawfish are in season so mudbugs are a must. Have some good BBQ. Rudy's is a chain but is always good.

The cemetary is cool to see. Right on main drag. Moody mansion is historic landmark if that is what you are into. Landry's has some good seafood right by the pier. Some cool little gift shops by the pier as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM

Beno's, and Pappadeaux, for restaurants.
Get off the main highway and head into the country and find a BBQ shack. Half pound of ribs, 1/2 pound of brisket and a 1/2 pound of potato salad all in a brown bag to eat on the picnic table outside is a great way to meet the locals.
Order a baked potato in some of the restaurants. It will blow your mind.
I think you're too early for the Galveston rodeo, google that though you might be in luck. It's a great time.
If you can catch a little league game you can share in some small town fun on a scale you won't believe.
If you have the time go to Lake Conroe west of Willis before first light in the bay for hybrid bass. Craziest fishing I have ever done.
Eat Cajun food. Craw fish etouffe with dirty rice or blackened catfish.
Buy donuts at a local bakery. Usually they close after 2 ish.
Talk to everyone you meet. Texan's are great people who love their state and will happily help you have a great time there.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Pappadeaux's is in Houston but stop when you arrive. Great food.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Pappadeaux is great! If you get a chance to, the Kemah boardwalk is a great place to spend a night..... thats about 40 min up I45 but definitely a time its like a carnival on the docks. Another cool thing to do down there is go gamble on the greyhounds. I think its wednesday .50 cent beer and then just the experience is interesting because its something we don't have. Cheap beer and small bets just to pass a night. Again that's somewhere between Galveston and league city. Galveston is pretty small, not much to see. Could fish off the texas city dyke.... outside of that... just eat as much as you can.

Oh man how do i wish we had Kolache's up here......
Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipque View Post
Pappadeaux's is in Houston but stop when you arrive. Great food.
Pappa's seafood is awesome. Same chain as Papadeaux but a little different menu but if you want seafood Goode Company Seafood is the best I have ever eaten.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM

The wildlife refuge/migratory bird sanctuary is worth checking out.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 PM

My notebook is filling up fast - maybe we should stay for a couple of weeks!

Watched some Youtube videos on the hurricane of 1900 - brutal. Thx for the suggestion.

TwoFifty - Is the wildlife refuge/migratory bird sanctuary close to Galveston?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 PM

Pick up a granite "pebble" or two on the Galveston beach. Enough for several tables each.... The San Jacinto monument was pretty cool, in true Texas style, taller the the DC one.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
Pick up a granite "pebble" or two on the Galveston beach. Enough for several tables each....
I don't understand .... pebbles for tables?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 PM

The Houston stock show and rodeo is this month! I'm so jealous you're going to Texas I miss it there! Grew up in west Texas. Eat lots of Mexican food drink lots of sweet tea and enjoy the warmth lol
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I don't understand .... pebbles for tables?

It will make sense when you see it.... I'd not want to reduce the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot of the experience.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
TwoFifty - Is the wildlife refuge/migratory bird sanctuary close to Galveston?
The closest one is right on the edge of town.
Others are nearby.

There is a local species of egret ?, endangered, that is only found on the chain of islands that make up the wildlife refuge.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 AM

just two exits south of the flying J on I45 is ritchy road go left there from I45 and you will also find the infamous StJames club
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjardine View Post
The Houston stock show and rodeo is this month! I'm so jealous you're going to Texas I miss it there! Grew up in west Texas. Eat lots of Mexican food drink lots of sweet tea and enjoy the warmth lol
If memory serves, there is a really big gun show in Houston on at about the same time. In any event, just google Houston gun shows and you will find a ton of them. It's Texas after all!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my request for 'things to see and do in Galveston Texas'. We had a great time, and much of it was thanks to the all the tips provided by the great members of this AO forum.
Armed with my 'cheat sheet', we saw (and ate) as much as we could pack in.
Gumbo, boiled crawfish, shrimp étouffée and the blackened catfish were all they were touted to be.
Thanks again - this forum rocks!!

My tip for others-
Apparently, different states and universities stagger their spring break periods. We were fortunate to miss the next wave of 'spring breakers' when our $85 Best Western hotel room jumped to $235/night!