Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Default atv,s and bows

In most areas you are not aloud to carry a firearm on a quad until noon. Does this rule apply to bows also
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbryan View Post
In most areas you are not aloud to carry a firearm on a quad until noon. Does this rule apply to bows also
Yes it does....the wording is WEAPON....a bow is considered a weapon.

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM

I believe it does but is there not a provision for locking the weapon and putting it in a case so that you can use the atv for transportation to/from camp to your hunting site?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
I believe it does but is there not a provision for locking the weapon and putting it in a case so that you can use the atv for transportation to/from camp to your hunting site?
Again....a bow is a WEAPON for the purpose of the regulation below....There is no "loophole" for using a bow and an OHV....

From the regs:

Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to:

discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).
Old 12-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Default Sticky part

Here's the difficult part, does it only apply to hunters? I believe so.
And what makes you a hunter? Having a tag? What if your just out fly fishing, and have a 12g in bear country during an open season but you also happen to have a bird license in your name? But only 000 buck and slugs with you?
It's not as clear a law as one might think, as most Ab. reg's are layed out.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:58 PM

all ways better to play it safe. if a law is open to interpretation, air towards caution as you can run in to a fw/rcmp, etc officer who is having a bad day and his interpretation is the one that matters at that point not yours or any one elses, don't let his bad day ruin yours.
you could beat the charge in court but your day none the less will be ruined and the judge could also be having a bad day.... just saying.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Again....a bow is a WEAPON for the purpose of the regulation below....There is no "loophole" for using a bow and an OHV....

From the regs:

Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to:

discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).

Do these regs not say more or less what I said? If locked, on a direct route, etc... am I interpreting this incorrectly?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Do these regs not say more or less what I said? If locked, on a direct route, etc... am I interpreting this incorrectly?
I may have misread your statement as "there is not" and I should have read it as "is there not"

But first define "hunting site" not sure what you mean by this....

It is basically a provision to travel from a trail head to a hunting camp (temporary residence), not a hunting site.

Example: You can't get up late lock everything up and travel to your tree stand to hunt before noon and after first light on an OHV in order to hunt.

For many of these refs the devil is in the details.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-31-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
it also says "accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel"
Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 AM

If you are not looking for a loop hole it is pretty easy to understand. You can always leave the weapon at the stand overnight, or good grief try walking.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM

Yes walking while hunting is nice, but for those times where you need to travel a distance from your camp before you are in a hunting area it would be nice to know what you can and cannot do. That is what is being discussed. I personally don't even own a quad any more. All of my hunting is on foot because the areas that I hunt a quad can't go (steep valleys and thick bush). The way the regs are written are far from black and white. This is why questions were being asked.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:01 PM

In the last couple years was there not a change to regs where you could ride before noon also during the cougar season, or was it just a proposal I'm thinking of?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM

True story...I know a bow hunter that was charged under that act ...
he came back from his tree stand with his truck just before noon...his quad was in camp and when he arrived he sat his bow on the seat of the quad...before noon

The quad wasnt moving or being used but there is a grey area..and F&W officer Interpretation ....charges were dropped by a more experianced F&W officer...
Neil
Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
In the last couple years was there not a change to regs where you could ride before noon also during the cougar season, or was it just a proposal I'm thinking of?

It is unlawful to:
•carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841.
Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus