Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Red deer river

Guy can you help me out here in looking for a productive spot on the red deer river right now I heard by the dam is good for whites and brown trout?

Looking for whitefish or trout mainly thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Are you familure with the kerrywood nature center area? There is a large picknic area there (for the life of me the name escapes me right now lol) anyways if you drive to the end of that park there is river access. Now the complicated explanation is ... we were out there last week and there were a lot of white fish jumping but just out of reach on the otherside . Filled my waders trying to get closer lol. We didnt catch any but if you eye up that location and drive down around 3 mile bend you can probably try there.

Dave
Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Are you familure with the kerrywood nature center area? There is a large picknic area there (for the life of me the name escapes me right now lol) anyways if you drive to the end of that park there is river access. Now the complicated explanation is ... we were out there last week and there were a lot of white fish jumping but just out of reach on the otherside . Filled my waders trying to get closer lol. We didnt catch any but if you eye up that location and drive down around 3 mile bend you can probably try there.

Dave
Mackenzie Trails I believe is the name you are looking for.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dave

How do you get there from there ?
Where it stops is the kerrywood nature area
Any help guys?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dave
Can't find Mckenzie trails I found Mckenzie road doesn't go to the river tho
Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

This sucks I've read Mckenzie trail is mainly pike/ walleye

I'm targeting trout and whitefish any help anyone?

I've heard 3 mile bend maybe?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM

East of red deer to the Joffre bridge. Stay on the west side of the river. Park at the red deer county day use area at the west bridge access. Walk a km north (upstream) until u reach a westward bend. There will be an old beaver lodge there which marks a deeper slow water area. Enjoy.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbojones View Post
East of red deer to the Joffre bridge. Stay on the west side of the river. Park at the red deer county day use area at the west bridge access. Walk a km north (upstream) until u reach a westward bend. There will be an old beaver lodge there which marks a deeper slow water area. Enjoy.
My favorite Goldeye spot.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post

How do you get there from there ?
Where it stops is the kerrywood nature area
Any help guys?
Just keep driving under the 67 street bridge and continue into the park. The road to the end is lighter grey and on your map. 3 mile bend is basically on the opposite side of the river from that spot. There is white fish in that area along with goldeye and a few trout.

Dave
Old 08-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
This sucks I've read Mckenzie trail is mainly pike/ walleye

I'm targeting trout and whitefish any help anyone?

I've heard 3 mile bend maybe?
Sucks??... Ive caught Browns and Very Large RMW below RD and Pike and Walleye right at the Dam. Target what you are looking for and you usually find it. Try not to be too disappointed if you accidentally hook into a big Walleye instead of a Brown if your Fly Fishing.. Lol