Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Elk Medicine Hat Area

Hi all,

Just curious how the elk hunting has been down in the 116,118,119, area?
Im heading down next week for a hunt, we have some permission where we have seen elk before so hopefully that works out for us.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2019, 03:26 PM

just spent a pile of time in 119 the last week didn't see an Elk track in the area at all even with the nice fresh snow.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM

We saw a herd of approximately 60 animals is 118. A couple decent bulls in it. No tag though and they were on the move...
Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM

All those zones are here today and gone tomorrow. Doesn't take much to move them miles and miles. With deer season open everything is spooky. Good luck!

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
All those zones are here today and gone tomorrow. Doesn't take much to move them miles and miles. With deer season open everything is spooky. Good luck!
You got that right.

Day before opener in 118 there was no one around. Opening day I left the truck well over an hour before first light and I was within site of one road until an hour after light. In that time over 2 dozen trucks came into the area. It was madness. But, if you got off the road a few kilometres there was a lot less traffic. If it wasn’t for one group hunting out of a sxs during closed hours I would have had it to myself.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Sounds like its going to be fun trying to find them. I enjoy the challenge and the walking, I'm not a fan of road hunting. I found them in a few places for the last couple years while deer hunting so lets hope this hold true for next week.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Sounds like its going to be fun trying to find them. I enjoy the challenge and the walking, I'm not a fan of road hunting. I found them in a few places for the last couple years while deer hunting so lets hope this hold true for next week.

Let us know how your hunt went when it’s over. I’m heading that way in December for the late season hunt so i imagine they’ll be even more spooked then, but I’m always up for a good challenge. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Hey guys just an update, we haven't seen anything yet but there have been a few bulls and cows taken out of the park . Brutal today and quite a few hunters hopefully tomorrow brings better luck. If anyone has any info they want to share pm me if you dont want to post.

Cheers