Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Canceled mule deer hunt in 312

So a friend of ours owns property in wmu 312. We hunted her land last year and had success. There's a pretty decent mule deer herd that hangs out there. So all summer long we've been discussing our fall hunt and everything sounds good. Me and the boss both got mule doe tags in our friends zone this year. Now we're having trouble getting permission to hunt her land. There seems to be a different excuse every time. The renovators are here that day. She's dealing with the people who bought some land from her this day. And so on. We do meet up with this couple for dinner every once in a while as we are friends. So everything is good that way. But now our hunting doesn't seem to work with her schedule. She wants to be there when we're there for some reason. Even wanted us to bring our little guy with us so she could watch him while we hunted. Which was great for us. But now with everything happening on her end, our mule deer hunt is not gonna happen this year.

It's a couple hour drive to her place. Which is fine but I wish we would have done some other scouting in that area. The only reason we got our tags in that zone is because of all of the mule deer on her land. Me and the boss hunt together. That's our thing. We plan specific days to hunt as we need a babysitter for the little guy.

So here's part 2... we have permission on private land about 2 hours away in the other direction. Went twice already looking for whitetail. Well both times we didn't even see one whitetail. But to ad insult to injury, we did see a bunch of mule deer running around. Next year we will apply for our mule tags in this other zone instead. As for our friend, well we're still friends... we just won't ask to hunt her property again. She doesn't hunt, so probably doesn't realise what we're going through. As for our mule doe tags in 312.. I wish we could sell them lol.

Anyway I know we can find other land, just hard to squeeze it into our busy life at the last minute. But that's how it goes. This post isn't whining or anything. We had fun the 2 times we went out so far. Just my monday morning thoughts.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
So a friend of ours owns property in wmu 312. We hunted her land last year and had success. There's a pretty decent mule deer herd that hangs out there. So all summer long we've been discussing our fall hunt and everything sounds good. Me and the boss both got mule doe tags in our friends zone this year. Now we're having trouble getting permission to hunt her land. There seems to be a different excuse every time. The renovators are here that day. She's dealing with the people who bought some land from her this day. And so on. We do meet up with this couple for dinner every once in a while as we are friends. So everything is good that way. But now our hunting doesn't seem to work with her schedule. She wants to be there when we're there for some reason. Even wanted us to bring our little guy with us so she could watch him while we hunted. Which was great for us. But now with everything happening on her end, our mule deer hunt is not gonna happen this year.

It's a couple hour drive to her place. Which is fine but I wish we would have done some other scouting in that area. The only reason we got our tags in that zone is because of all of the mule deer on her land. Me and the boss hunt together. That's our thing. We plan specific days to hunt as we need a babysitter for the little guy.

So here's part 2... we have permission on private land about 2 hours away in the other direction. Went twice already looking for whitetail. Well both times we didn't even see one whitetail. But to ad insult to injury, we did see a bunch of mule deer running around. Next year we will apply for our mule tags in this other zone instead. As for our friend, well we're still friends... we just won't ask to hunt her property again. She doesn't hunt, so probably doesn't realise what we're going through. As for our mule doe tags in 312.. I wish we could sell them lol.

Anyway I know we can find other land, just hard to squeeze it into our busy life at the last minute. But that's how it goes. This post isn't whining or anything. We had fun the 2 times we went out so far. Just my monday morning thoughts.
I’d move her to acquaintance status now. Doesn’t sound like a friend..
Old 11-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Lots of lease land in 312. Make new friends
Old 11-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Lots of lease land in 312. Make new friends
And quit whining.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 AM

She doesn't hunt and doesn't understand that we've invested time and money into this. It's not her fault I guess. I learned a lesson tho. I don't want to be bitter about this. But ya this definitely didn't bump her up to best friend status. We'll look at some maps and try to find another place to go. I'm sure there are tons of mule does in 312. It's just that we only picked that zone because we thought we had a decent private spot.

I guess it's the typical situation of dealing with friends. Sometimes it doesn't end well.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Man that sucks. Different when friends are involved for sure (wouldn’t be friends with people who screw up hunting season), but I’ll never make agreements for specific days. A week at a minimum, preferably the season, where do you want me to park. If they want to control more, I’ll go elsewhere. Inevitably ends up with the hunter not getting to hunt.

Lot of landowners simply don’t realize what goes into planning and executing a successful hunt, sometimes you gotta explain it to them pretty directly. Have you tried that? Something along the lines of “our tags are only good till X, so we are going to lose them if we don’t come out on this day, and we can’t get permission anywhere else” she may not realize the limitations involved.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

If you have muley doe, it shouldn’t be a problem getting permission even when it’s this late.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

You're dealing with a woman, different rules apply.

Grizz
Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Ya I get it now lol
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Truer words were never spoken...
Old 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM

We got a babysitter for Saturday and plan on spending the day driving around 312. We're not familiar with the zone but we're hoping to have some luck. Either way it's a day to hang out with the boss without the kids around lol.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:16 PM

I can't imagine getting upset over doe tags.....ever!!