Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired for his comments on Poppies ?
Yes 64 10.05%
No 573 89.95%
Voters: 637. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM

I voted yes, but only because I think he's just not that great at his job any more.

Get someone in there who spends most of the segment actually talking about hockey, not going off on tangents.

Don USED to be awesome at his job.

But hey, he's probably getting an awesome severance! He'll be fine.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Yes only because of the way he worded it.
He should have called out ALL Canadians because I see people of all backgrounds not wearing them.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I wonder if Sportnet is second guessing themselves now, after a few people have cancelled their service? I'd guess that most of the people that complained about this to the network also don't actually watch hockey, sports, or Sportsnet generally.
I doubt it. People whine and cancel because 'their player' was transferred.
They won't hear the drop in the bucket.

And I agree, they are the screaming idiots ready and willing to fight for whatever the flavor of the day protest is. As long as they don't have to do anything, just yell at screens and smash keyboards furiously.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-12-2019, 05:07 PM

the offensive words were "you people". I found notley's sewer rats far more offensive.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 PM

There should have been a "who cares?" button. I did however vote "no", as I'm getting pretty tired of how selective "politically correct" can be, depending on who the accused is.

p.s. Ron Maclean is a self preserving shill. Nothing to say on air sitting beside Cherry, and all apologies afterwards distancing himself.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 11-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Yes only because of the way he worded it.

He should have called out ALL Canadians because I see people of all backgrounds not wearing them.

And which background did he specify pray tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
And which background did he specify pray tell?

Go watch the clip and read the quote. Majority of four year olds could figure it out.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Go watch the clip and read the quote. Majority of four year olds could figure it out.
Thankfully everything is subject to interpretation, it all depends on who interprets it.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:05 PM

NO!!!! i will stand with DON, hope he does well in future endeavors.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Thankfully everything is subject to interpretation, it all depends on who interprets it.
Well it was interpreted as wrong.

He worded it wrong you should be able to acknowledge that. It’s 2019,what do you think is Gona happen when you say “you people that come here, you love our way of life”.
Of course it’s Gona get blown out of proportion.

I agree with the most of what he’s saying but I just think he should have chosen his words a little better, if he did he would have still had a job.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Really??? The only thing I can gather is immigrants possibly. At what stage he means we don’t know so that would be everybody. Don’t put words in someone’s mouth

Old 11-12-2019, 06:20 PM

I have watched Don since I was a child. All 38 years of his HNIC career. I own most every rock em sock em hockey he produced. Listen to his coaches corner any chance I get. And I’m telling ALL you people that he has used those same words “ you people “ in numerous situations to describe many a situation. If you were a true fan of his you would know without doubt he was not targeting any demographic other than the non poppy wearing people in Canada. It’s almost like when he says “ let’s go !!” or “ he’s a beauty “.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:36 PM

“Don is a sports spokesperson, he doesn't own sports net and his employer decides on what values they want to present, not Don. Can't use company time for your own agenda basically. And that is enough reason to fire someone.”

Don Cherry has made the CBC and Sportsnet millions of dollars by increasing the ratings and viewership for his employers with his flamboyant personality and “own agenda” rants. I don’t know anyone who watches HNIC to hear what Ron MacLea has to say. I lost all respect for MacLean when he rolled Cherry under the bus.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-12-2019, 06:41 PM

No way

Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well it was interpreted as wrong.

He worded it wrong you should be able to acknowledge that. It’s 2019,what do you think is Gona happen when you say “you people that come here, you love our way of life”.
Of course it’s Gona get blown out of proportion.

I agree with the most of what he’s saying but I just think he should have chosen his words a little better, if he did he would have still had a job.
In "your opinion" and many others it was interpreted as wrong.
In many others' opinion it was interpreted as ok.
Like I said before, everything is open to interpretation, and it's okay to have different opinions.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 PM

How would don know if a given person is a immigrant? Most likely skin color . That's racist . Most likely fumbled his words but it's still wrong . I am 50 years old , way back in high school lots of young punks would say shocking wrong things like I dont care what happen 40 years ago (ww2) . It's not JUST recent immigrants )
Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 PM

No way Don should have lost his job, but yet Canada has a PM that can play dress up and he hasn’t lost his job. Canada is going to he11 in a hand basket.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Don has been saying "You Guys" for decades spanning most of his career. Now suddenly it is racist
Like any house of cards it is the last one placed that brings it all down.

Perhaps Don will re-surface with his own platform.

Last edited by omega50; 11-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Voted No as this was handled very poorly, knee jerk reaction due to instant outrage on social media mainly. I only saw where Rodgers talked to Don only about stepping down. After the time he has put into HNIC, they should have worked with him to smooth things over as IMO what he said wasn't bad, and could have been cleared up. As I seen on tonight's interview with him he explained the comment made, and how he meant it to come off. They should have worked with him in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Banned

Yes!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
if the pm can wear blackface ( a universally accepted symbol of racism) on multiple occasions, and break the law multiple times as well, and get off scot free....i just don't see the whole pitchforks and torches parade for a crusty old sports guy ranting. At least he was standing up for vets, more than our pm has done. Hell, in quebec, they have legislated discrimination with bill c-21! Just the tolerant left sacrificing another victim on their altar of political correctness, while letting the real hypocrite continue to 'lead' the country.
x100
Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
p.s. Ron Maclean is a self preserving shill. Nothing to say on air sitting beside Cherry, and all apologies afterwards distancing himself.
X2.

Ive always been a Mclean supporter and thought he was good people, but I’ve pretty much lost all respect for him after that.

I’d guess his friendship with Don is over. I’m not sure I could ever forgive him if I was Don.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Only in the the name of free speech did i vote
"H** NO"
Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Cherry said that the "silent" majority supporting him..were just that SILENT
Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 PM

Yes,

You don't have to be a poppy wearer to remember.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 PM

No.
“Lest we forget”
Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 PM

Don't think he should have lost his job, however his choice of words could have been better.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 PM

My personal perspective is NO, he's harmless, like most people's drunk Uncle at the BBQ with no filter who speaks his mind. The comment was definitely directed at immigrants, and probably offensive to many, but I can deal with strong perspectives and personally support his right to free speech.

Do a commentary on honoring our soldiers, but don't direct toward any one group - that's just stupid - Save it for the BBQ DC.

On the other hand, professionally, he took a position in a public media company with a code of conduct, like in places that most of us work, where statements deemed to be offensive will result in disciplinary action, up and to, including termination. If I was his boss, and this happened repeatedly (like it has) I would be given no alternative except to release him and send him packing.

We all represent our employers, and quite frankly our employers are protecting themselves from legal action from people who have been discriminated against. He knew that going in, and if he can't help himself and still says something that stupid, then he can only look in the mirror and blame the guy looking back at him.

Remember the story of the lady picking up sticks for the fire in the cold winter? In the story, she picked up a frozen poisonous snake and brought it in, knowing it was a snake, and warmed it up despite knowing it could be dangerous. That snake, after the lady nursed it back to health, bit the old lady. As she was laying there dying she asked the snake "why did you bite me?" and the snake replied "listen lady, you knew I was a snake when you brought me in ..... what did you expect from me?"

In this story DC and the network BOTH can be perceived as the the snake OR the lady.

Last edited by EZM; 11-12-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 AM

NO!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:47 AM

I don't think he should have been fired for his poppy comments so much as he should have been fired a long time ago for being out of touch with reality.

I'm also a little tired of listening to people say stupid things like he was fired for saying "you people". No, he wasn't. He was fired for saying "you people that come here". If you don't know the difference between those two statements, well... I dunno.

Also, this is not a "free speech" issue. No one has absolute free speech in the workplace, especially in such a public position as his. The simple fact is that he said something his employer (Sportsnet, not CBC as so many lunatics are ranting about) didn't agree with and was fired for it. I'd be willing to bet anyone here that there is a clause in his contract stating that he can be fired for such things. Morality clauses have been in contracts since people have been paid to be in the public eye. It isn't a new thing or "Canada and the liberals have ruined everything".

It's not even a liberal thing at all. It has nothing to do with political parties, there's way too much division over politics for real, no need to make stuff up.

If you think it's a free speech issue, walk into your bosses office tomorrow and tell him to go F#$K himself or tell one of your customers how you think they aren't patriotic enough because they're an immigrant, then come back to me and tell me what YOUR boss has to say about free speech.

I've even seen many people on Facebook saying stupid stuff like "Don Cherry for PM!". ya, that's what we need, a senile 85 year old blow hard as PM.

He even said on the news tonight that he would have rephrased his words if he had to do it over again. He knows that the way he said it, if not what he said was wrong.

I've lost more respect for Ron Mclean over the whole issue. He was there shaking his head yes and giving Don the thumbs up as he was talking. Then he backpeddles and throws him under the bus? I get it, he makes a lot of money to talk about hockey and doesn't wanna lose his lucrative gig.

As for all the people I see online saying "I'm gonna boycott Sportsnet (and some morons are even saying they're gonna boycott CBC, although CBC had nothing to do with it), I'd be curious how far they are willing to stand up for their outrage over Don Cherry being fired. Are they gonna cancel all Rogers channels? Are they gonna disconnect their Rogers cell phone? Stop buying products and services from all companies affiliated with Rogers?
Likely none of the above and all this will be forgotten in a month.

All the people in Alberta seem to forget that Don Cherry has had very little good to say about Alberta or the Edmonton Oilers. In fact, I seem to recall that during the 2006 playoff run he said that Edmonton shouldn't even be in the playoffs and that Detroit should have gotten a bi, because the Oilers fluked out and didn't deserve to be there.

He's an eastern Ontario boy who is a Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal fanboy.
He couldn't care less about anyone else losing their jobs, and I don't care about him losing his. He's made a lot of money doing what he enjoyed and no one is to blame for him being fired but himself.

I've lost all respect for him after seeing him sucking up on FOX "news" tonight.

He's been like the old uncle that comes to the family dinner and says embarrassing things all the time but people tolerate it because "that's just the way he is". Well, his employer decided not to tolerate him anymore.
Nobody owes him a job.

I'm sure this is gonna be a very unpopular opinion here but there it is.
I'm just a little tired of all the people in the last few days acting like he's a martyr or something.