Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 06:14 PM

Yes,

you would think it is legal to do that.

I went to te FW office to explain the above scenario. They said no go. Tagged and evidence of sex and species attached to the meat you are dropping off at the processor. Period.

RYans will advise you of the same.

Others may not be so anal.

As I said, by the letter of the law, I would say all of us have Broken the law in the past.

Stupid part is, say it's beef trim, no problem. Fill your boots.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Yes,

you would think it is legal to do that.

I went to te FW office to explain the above scenario. They said no go. Tagged and evidence of sex and species attached to the meat you are dropping off at the processor. Period.

RYans will advise you of the same.

Others may not be so anal.

As I said, by the letter of the law, I would say all of us have Broken the law in the past.

Stupid part is, say it's beef trim, no problem. Fill your boots.
Only if it’s still on the carcass....if it’s deboned trim, it’s “processed”. You need to have the tag/license information to have the trim made into sausage however.

LC
Old 11-08-2019, 06:48 PM

As I said. Do that at Ryan's this year. See what happens.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Yes I have had problems with these tags not staying glued. When I skied in the past I never had a problem with a ski tag coming unglued. I do everything by the book and would hate to lose a season because of a defective tag
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
As I said. Do that at Ryan's this year. See what happens.
I don’t have to go that far and the butchers I deal with know the rules . They likely hold the hard line because they want ALL THE BUSINESS, they don’t want to just process sausage, they want the full processing not just part of it.

LC
Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 PM

Yes.

I forgot you are correct on all matters great and small.

The fish cop office that is located 5 minutes from there also stated the same as Ryan's.

They must be in cahoots,,,,,

Or better yet, you could stop by and set both of them straight.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 PM

You could also read and follow the regs...I’m not always correct but on this one I certainly am

Taken from the regulations booklet for this year...

WILD GAME PROCESSING

Hunters are reminded that when big game (including boned meat) or game birds are taken to a business for butchering or other related processing services, there are requirements for the business to keep a record of the wildlife that has been submitted. This includes recording the date, the name and address of the person who delivered the wildlife, the name and address of the person who killed the wildlife and their wildlife certificate number or wildlife identification number (WIN), the number of the licence under whose purported authority the wildlife was killed, and (if applicable) the tag number, and a description of the wildlife that in the case of a big game animal includes its sex.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-08-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 PM

If it’s not tagged correctly proof of species and sex attached to the same leg as the tag it’s a 300$ fine and a court appreance. They will also seize the animal. Don’t be silly read the regs every year not just the what’s new part. it’s also a good read to have a look through the wildlife act you might learn something.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
There is a bit of rose coloured glasses here waxing nostalgically about the metal tags. They were notorious for not locking properly or people half closing them so that they could be reused and you could claim, "I tried locking it, must not have pushed hard enough"

And the cost to make the darn things would be outrageous. I have not had a tag rip or come off, bit of a pain in the cold but wrap them or tuck them under the hide.
I'll be dating myself, but I was allowed to attend a Fish & Wildlife checkstop west of Benton in the late 80s. Metal tags were still used for general tags. There were more single cab pickups than now.

The officers told us one thing they looked for was game with the leg or head near the rear sliding window. They claimed that some people would put the tag on, but not close it until it locked. If they made it home without being checked they would use the tag on another animal. If going through checkstop, they would reach through slider and close tag.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:09 AM

I heard those same stories.
Gotta love those old sliders. Ha.

TBark
Old 11-09-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can't feel sorry for the people that can't be bothered to learn even the most basic regulations. They are not victims, they are just lazy.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You could also read and follow the regs...I’m not always correct but on this one I certainly am

Taken from the regulations booklet for this year...

WILD GAME PROCESSING

Hunters are reminded that when big game (including boned meat) or game birds are taken to a business for butchering or other related processing services, there are requirements for the business to keep a record of the wildlife that has been submitted. This includes recording the date, the name and address of the person who delivered the wildlife, the name and address of the person who killed the wildlife and their wildlife certificate number or wildlife identification number (WIN), the number of the licence under whose purported authority the wildlife was killed, and (if applicable) the tag number, and a description of the wildlife that in the case of a big game animal includes its sex.

LC

As,I said. On all matters you are. I'm not argueing.

But you conveniently didn't post the paragraph just above the one you cut out of the Regs on page 41. It is on tagging requirements. Read it. Can't really cherry pick the regulations.

Now I'm not saying your butchers may look the other way. If they do, well good for you.u

I would also state that the paragraph you posted, and those on tagging requirements, contradict each other.

Maybe you and your butters should have a visit at Ryan's, then the FW office, and see what becomes. I would like to know who, Ryan's or fw, have got it right or wrong.

Just sayin.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM

I didn’t cherry pick... a pail of trim is not required to be tagged and have “evidence” of sex and species. Yes you need to provide the applicable information to the processor. But for all intents and purposes ...It’s “processed” once it’s removed from the bone. The tag is only required till the animal has been delivered to primary residence of the hunter or a food processing facility...and processing has taken place, ie fully deboned trim. Let me guess...you think the tag needs to go through the grinder and a little piece of
It must be in each wrapped package lol.

Explain to me how one goes to get sausage made from year old burger and roasts from an elk or moose the previous year then? Your scenario make it literally an impossible task, and that’s simply not the case.

Your lack of comprehension on the issue...well do as you please lol.

LC
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I'll be dating myself, but I was allowed to attend a Fish & Wildlife checkstop west of Benton in the late 80s. Metal tags were still used for general tags. There were more single cab pickups than now.

The officers told us one thing they looked for was game with the leg or head near the rear sliding window. They claimed that some people would put the tag on, but not close it until it locked. If they made it home without being checked they would use the tag on another animal. If going through checkstop, they would reach through slider and close tag.
Yep, back in the day you tagged the antlers or the leg. The rear sliding window wasn't just for getting a cold beer out if the box of the truck.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I didn’t cherry pick... a pail of trim is not required to be tagged and have “evidence” of sex and species. Yes you need to provide the applicable information to the processor. But for all intents and purposes ...It’s “processed” once it’s removed from the bone. The tag is only required till the animal has been delivered to primary residence of the hunter or a food processing facility...and processing has taken place, ie fully deboned trim. Let me guess...you think the tag needs to go through the grinder and a little piece of
It must be in each wrapped package lol.

Explain to me how one goes to get sausage made from year old burger and roasts from an elk or moose the previous year then? Your scenario make it literally an impossible task, and that’s simply not the case.

Your lack of comprehension on the issue...well do as you please lol.

LC

No need to be nasty. I already admitted you are correct in all manners great and small. No need to rub my face in it.

Not my lack of comprehension on the issue.....

Lack of comprehension on behalf of the FW officer that was adamnet about what needed to occur. Probably the same one that instructed Ryan on what he is supposed to do.

But you may have struck on something. Why should I think a FW/co knows what's he's talking about in regards to delivering deboned meat to a butcher, if they also think stopping vehicles, and searching vehicles, without probably cause, is legal for them to do as well?

Guess just another case of FW/co not knowing what they are talking about. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:03 PM

PS.

Please forward me you phone number so when I show up at Ryan's with trim with no evidence of sex attached they can just call you.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 PM

I’m thanking god that this thread is officially closed....
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 PM

I’m not being nasty.

You haven’t answered my question...

How do I legally take deboned meat from my house to a butcher to be processed? Your scenario makes it impossible. All those people who self process meat to wait for CWD test results...then want a butcher to make jerky or sausage are screwed under your scenario.

So how do you propose to follow “Ryan’s” rules... you seem to know more than I do. Did YOU talk to an officer directly or was it a RAP line operator?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-09-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Dude,

Take it down a notch.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Dude,

Take it down a notch.
I’m not upset lol, I’m asking a question...you don’t have to answer it. Your the one stating in a snarky way I know everything. Well educate me on this one if you know the CORRECT answer.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-09-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
No need to be nasty. I already admitted you are correct in all manners great and small. No need to rub my face in it.

Not my lack of comprehension on the issue.....

Lack of comprehension on behalf of the FW officer that was adamnet about what needed to occur. Probably the same one that instructed Ryan on what he is supposed to do.

But you may have struck on something. Why should I think a FW/co knows what's he's talking about in regards to delivering deboned meat to a butcher, if they also think stopping vehicles, and searching vehicles, without probably cause, is legal for them to do as well?

Guess just another case of FW/co not knowing what they are talking about. Thanks for the help.
I have taken trim to Ryan’s every year and have never heard of such a thing. They take down your win, tag and license numbers and that’s it.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:26 PM

I’m thanking god that this thread is officially closed. By the way, I’m with lefty 100% !
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I’m thanking god that this thread is officially closed. By the way, I’m with lefty 100% !
I am still trying to figure out how one could “legally” (according to Joe Black) get trim from an animal you butchered yourself to a sausage maker to have sausage made legally. I can’t figure it out. I am hoping he has the answer to this conundrum.

LC
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post

Or,,,,if you gave the metal ball a sharp rap on something hard the lock would release and it could not be closed, you get pulled over and its not locked they would tell the officer “ you try to lock it” and they could not. They would then say we never found out it was faulty until they tried to close. If they were not pulled over and they butchered themselves, repeat. People always found a way. Others would use their tag, butcher themselves then go in and sign an affidavit that they lost their tags and get new ones, they always find a way
Old 11-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Thought you may have had one too many scotches on sat night, so I was going to drop it.

But I don't think you were already drinking Remembrance Day morning, so I will answer your question. Read my post 45.

I'll say it another way

Good question. How do you do it when your butcher, and the FW office down te a street, says you can't do that?

Go to another buture.

Problem solved.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Thought you may have had one too many scotches on sat night, so I was going to drop it.

But I don't think you were already drinking Remembrance Day morning, so I will answer your question. Read my post 45.

I'll say it another way

Good question. How do you do it when your butcher, and the FW office down te a street, says you can't do that?

Go to another buture.

Problem solved.
I don’t drink smoke or otherwise, sorry to disappoint you.

You put forth an impossible proposition...I'm trying to figure out how it works? We do our own stuff...so it not an issue lol. But my guess, is one or both of your sources are wrong, or the scenario was miscommunicated.

LC
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Proof of sex is ridiculous.

Absolutely, since our regs now have virtually nothing about sex, and are based only on antlered, or antlerless. I have seen both elk cows and whitetail does that would classify as antlered! from the regs:

Antlered – a white-tailed deer, mule deer moose or elk having an antler exceeding 10.2 cm (4 in.) in length.

Vic
Old 11-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
As,I said. On all matters you are. I'm not argueing.

But you conveniently didn't post the paragraph just above the one you cut out of the Regs on page 41. It is on tagging requirements. Read it. Can't really cherry pick the regulations.

Now I'm not saying your butchers may look the other way. If they do, well good for you.u

I would also state that the paragraph you posted, and those on tagging requirements, contradict each other.

Maybe you and your butters should have a visit at Ryan's, then the FW office, and see what becomes. I would like to know who, Ryan's or fw, have got it right or wrong.

Just sayin.
I received a different answer than you when I asked this question at the Calgary F&W office. Trim was considered already processed if it was removed from the bone.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yes.

I forgot you are correct on all matters great and small.

The fish cop office that is located 5 minutes from there also stated the same as Ryan's.

They must be in cahoots,,,,,

Or better yet, you could stop by and set both of them straight.
Ryan's also tried telling me I needed the head of my EWE non trophy sheep to be present when delivering the meat. I asked them to show me where it says that in the regulations.

They went to this part

The evidence of sex, species or class that must be retained is as follows:

moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep - attached to the same part of the animal to which the tag is affixed, one of the following:
testicles, scrotum, or udder, and in the case of deer only, the completely haired tail, or
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers, or
the head (complete with the skin on it) if the animal has no horns or antlers, and in addition
the complete skull plate with horns or antlers intact must be retained with the carcass of the male antelope, male elk or male non-trophy sheep
the complete head must be retained with the carcass of a calf moose harvested under authority of a Calf Moose Special Licence.

After they re-read the regulations very carefully, they accepted my EWE non trophy sheep.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
I received a different answer than you when I asked this question at the Calgary F&W office. Trim was considered already processed if it was removed from the bone.
BINGO!!!

Only for initial extraction and transport does the sex of the animal and other specifications need to be followed, if it gets to a butcher or a home to be processed...those requirements cease to exist AFTER processing.

LC