Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Spring Pike

Almost time...

That was my biggest last year, excuse the lip grabbers as i was with out a net and wanted to be as quick as i could snapping a pic.... hard not to drop the cell phone in that tiny pontooner. so i opted for the newbie tongs. I always C&R and do my best to get them back swimming as quick as i can, but i had to grab a pic of her.

anyone got any spring pike tips and tricks?
Crank baits? Jigs? dead bait on a bobber? Barn kitten on big bobber? (jk)

I'll start the discussion off with my go to's

Rappla crank bait in the 6-8" range in perch coloration, nice slow troll over the weed beds.

Westin Mikethe Pike the big 12" in natural color, fast jerky retrieve from the shallows to the deep.

I'm thinking of Trying more of a surface presentation this spring... maybe a muskie lure that really makes some noise and splash on the surface.

Good luck to everyone this season.... can't wait
Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Nice pike, that would have been a lot of fun in the pontoon.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 AM

4ft pike are never fun in a one man pontoon haha, i've had three that size in that little boat... i was targeting walleye that day and never dreamed i'd get one of these as by-catch... all morning it was walleye pike pike walleye until i landed this Kraken ...

lesson learned now i take my big net with me even when i'm not trying to catch the big girls
Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Personally I haven't found crank baits great for spring pike, had better luck with hot colored powerbait jigs but I'd be interested to hear what others say. They're pretty hungry and aggressive so almost anything could work.

Nice fish btw I'd be really happy with that
Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Really nice pike. Where'd you catch that?

I personally like to use the Rapala X - Rap series crankbaits in bigger lakes and in the smaller lakes I simply use some shiny red/orange coloured spoons and maybe a jig every now and then whenever I am fishing near the weeds.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:36 PM

I like trolling crank baits along drop offs, casting and bouncing jigs along shallow flats adjacent to weeds or drop offs and using noisy spinner baits and spinners to cover water.

Pike are not overly picky. Just get something the right depth and speed where they are hanging out and you will be into fish.