Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
My wife is the driver at the launch. My job is driving the boat.
Larger boats really need 2 or more to launch and load safely and effectively.
The boat is too large to tandem, so she tows it with the jeep while I drive the 5ver. Last fall on the way back from Spirit River she insisted on driving the truck with the 5ver on the back. She hopped in the hot seat in Valleyview and didn't stop until we got home. Then she drove it to the storage lot and backed it in there too!
She is takes a lot of pride in her skills with the trailer and has helped others in need. Two summers ago she took the wheel of a truck and backed their pontoon down to the launch at Hillards Bay.
If something every happened to me during an outing, I think it's important to have a back up of some type to get the rigs out and home.
What a great story, your wife should be very proud of herself and WTG on you for encouraging her! A great team and yes you're right if you ever got hurt on a trip at least you can trust that you'll make it home with all your gear!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default Wtf

You take your wife in the boat???!!!???
Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
You take your wife in the boat???!!!???
yeah, i thought wives are like bananas!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default Close, but no cigar

A banana knows how to stay quiet in rough seas, and if it doesn't you can always eat it.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Wife is great at 99.9 stuff. However Backing up/Navigation are not her forte.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
My wife is a pro at backing up trailers. Country girl that I taught in a few minutes and she had it. I love seeing people crank their heads around when she whips that trailer onto the ramp and the boat is launched flawlessly. Good times
I would definitely be watching this in amazement lol
Old 05-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Backing a boat or trailer up is just about three things ...

a few simple instructions initially;
some patience;
and a fair amount of practice.

It doesn't matter if it's a wife or a husband - both parties need all three things to do it well enough with enough confidence to get it done.

The longer the trailer - the easier it is. My wife has backed up the boat a few times and is reasonably patient and understands the concept, but, without lots of practice she is still over or under steering but does get the job done.

Usually I try and get the boat lined up so she just has to back it down into the water.

She has no problem driving it forward or parking it without taking out every second sign post on every corner. lol.

The thing that makes a stressful and tough to master technique like backing a trailer down the launch worse is the condescending and abusive jerks who scream and humiliate their wives at a public launch. Man I've seen some real winners out there.

I sometimes wonder how the rest of the weekend goes after a episode like that. I wonder how the guy's son, who sees this, is going to treat his spouse in the future.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Backing a boat or trailer up is just about three things ...

a few simple instructions initially;
some patience;
and a fair amount of practice.

It doesn't matter if it's a wife or a husband - both parties need all three things to do it well enough with enough confidence to get it done.

The longer the trailer - the easier it is. My wife has backed up the boat a few times and is reasonably patient and understands the concept, but, without lots of practice she is still over or under steering but does get the job done.

Usually I try and get the boat lined up so she just has to back it down into the water.

She has no problem driving it forward or parking it without taking out every second sign post on every corner. lol.

The thing that makes a stressful and tough to master technique like backing a trailer down the launch worse is the condescending and abusive jerks who scream and humiliate their wives at a public launch. Man I've seen some real winners out there.

I sometimes wonder how the rest of the weekend goes after a episode like that. I wonder how the guy's son, who sees this, is going to treat his spouse in the future.
Great points EZM. So very true.I haven't taught my wife yet but had a good buddy that was struggling. A few pointers and just telling him to go slow and not over correct and he's pretty darn good at it now.

I would love to hang out in a campsite of one of those couples where the husband tears his wife a new one after they pull the boat out too, but not if kids are around.

I back trailers a lot and use my mirrors all the time. When i help people I just recommend to go slow and if it's not working, pull ahead to straighten out and try again, slowly.