Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Wives backing boat trailers

Just wondering how many folks here have wives that back their boats into the water for them, and get the truck later when you want to pull it out? My wife doesn't like the idea of being on the boat by herself(flooded the motor once), so she decided she would operate the truck. She actually does a lot better than some of the men I watch at the ramp. Where we often fish, nobody leaves someone holding the boat at the dock, the person in the boat waits out on the water until their trailer is coming down the ramp. There are 4 concrete ramps, with painted lines, so how much easier can they make it?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM

I am awful at backing up the truck and trailer. In my defense, hubby is a crappy teacher.

He backs it up most of the way then I take over and he is in the boat. I'm OK parking the truck and trailer at most places.

I'm thinking that this summer I should just suck it up and learn to be more comfortable being in the boat by myself.

I hate the boat launch, too much pressure to be quick and perfect. Too many kids playing or dogs running around.

If I was a divorce lawyer I would set up shop at a busy boat launch
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM

My wife backs up the boat for me and does a fine job of it.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Banned

wifey is a trooper. can back up as well as most men, and has no trouble taking the boat on or off the trailer.

makes me smile when so many other prima donnas sit there checking their make up when hubby needs help and there are 10 units waiting in line to use the dock.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 AM

We usually do much the same where I get it lined up on the launch and she does the rest.
She also is not scared to tow the boat down the road which is nice since we have a travel trailer and sometimes the only way to fish and camp is to drive 2 trucks.
I do agree though the boat launch and watching people back their trailers into their sites are the 2 most funny and fight watching things you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
I am awful at backing up the truck and trailer. In my defense, hubby is a crappy teacher.

He backs it up most of the way then I take over and he is in the boat. I'm OK parking the truck and trailer at most places.

I'm thinking that this summer I should just suck it up and learn to be more comfortable being in the boat by myself.

I hate the boat launch, too much pressure to be quick and perfect. Too many kids playing or dogs running around.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 AM

The Admiral (Wife) is not as comfortable backing as she would like to be. There is a large church parking lot close to home that we use for backing practice for her. Lots of painted lines to use as targets, and mid-week it's virtually empty. She finds the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel method helps her get the trailer started in the direction she wants.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM

I get the boat from parking lot while she packs / secures toys, towels, dogs, rods and kids. I back down launch until wheels are wet then jump out and run over to boat which she has untied ready to push off. She runs to truck and backs last few feet until I can drive onto trailer and she takes it too the pull out spot to tie down. Works great for us no words need to be spoken everyone knows their role. Same with travel trailer when camping. We don't allow any entertainment for the boat launch viewers.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Just drop the tail gate, then they can see the trailer and adjust as needed. Works great especially when they are backing up the trailer for loading.

Best part they do not need to figure out what is happening to trailer by looking in mirrors and wondering where the trailer is.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
She finds the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel method helps her get the trailer started in the direction she wants.
Best piece of advice going.

The only directions we give are "trailer left", "trailer right", "straight back", "forward" and "stop". None of the "turn your wheels this way or that" crap. If you follow the hand-on-bottom rule you know which way to turn the wheel.

And the best thing is doing it where there is cell coverage. We just phone the truck and give voice instructions via cell.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM

Vertical guide on posts help with seeing an unloaded trailer before it gets turned too far one way or another. Dropping the tailgate works provided you have the room between the winch and the tailgate. If it starts going sideways you can crease your tailgate pretty quick if you aren't careful.

My wife idles the boat in deep water, I back the truck and trailer up to the water, we swap in the boat, she backs it in the rest of the way and I drive on and do the winching. It works well for us.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
The Admiral (Wife) is not as comfortable backing as she would like to be. There is a large church parking lot close to home that we use for backing practice for her. Lots of painted lines to use as targets, and mid-week it's virtually empty. She finds the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel method helps her get the trailer started in the direction she wants.
**She finds the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel method helps her get the trailer started in the direction she wants.**

That is the trick for sure!! Trailer will go which ever way the steering is directed.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM

My wife handles a trailer better than most men. Hauling horses for 20 years probably has something to do with it.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post

Hook that puppy up and head to an empty parking lot. Take your time. Like anything it's easy when you catch on.

Leave husband at home.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 AM

I don't know why but for some reason my Wife and Mom are not great at backing up a trailer. I back it up right down so the trailer is in the water or boat is in the water and then all they have to do is roll back a few more feet. Sometimes in that last few feet it goes off to the side. Seems like a mental block to me more than a teaching problem.

MONSTER TIP FROM THE KID!
Like my 19 year old Pro Trailer handling brother told me. If you're not sure... point with your finger which way you want the trailer to turn and then turn the steering wheel the opposite way.

Best of luck out there on the ramps... stop wasting your fishing... practice in the driveway at home.

ADDENDUM: Just read other guys posts about hand on the bottom of the wheel and that totally works, great info.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 05-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Gone Hunting

The world needs trailer backer uppers and sammich makers. One of each is usually enough.

Took my daughter about 2 hours on her own to back her tent trailer 200 yds up my driveway.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Just drop the tail gate, then they can see the trailer and adjust as needed. Works great especially when they are backing up the trailer for loading.

Best part they do not need to figure out what is happening to trailer by looking in mirrors and wondering where the trailer is.

I got a dually and empty boat trailer hides behind the duals easy, I open the tailgate to see. Had one guy tell me how great of idea that was I thought it was common knowledge lol.
My wife was going to back the trailer in once. She started out 100' from the shore more she tried farther away from the water she got. I tried to help her but when I told her how to do it I got the usual "don't tell me how to do it" speech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The world needs trailer backer uppers and sammich makers. One of each is usually enough.

Took my daughter about 2 hours on her own to back her tent trailer 200 yds up my driveway.
Okay, to be fair, I'd probably rather back up a 24' travel trailer before a 10' tent trailer. Small trailers are pain to reverse backwards for longer distances. Too squirrel-y.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

First time camping with some friends, I couldn't help but watch as they pushed the tent trailer into their site. Eventually he had to learn to back a unit up because they bought a 5th wheel. Sometimes it is just about finding the right person to teach you. My friend's wife was helping me clean fish one day, when he comes out of the shop he is like what the heck, you never help me. She says he didn't have enough patience. I hope you had the chance to record her, watching stuff like that is funny even years down the road.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Gone Hunting

To teach it takes a willing student who listens.

I have two daughters and a wife who say they cannot parallel park. After many many yeaars of asking if they'd like some instruction , one daughter said "FINE!!!" like dey do.

Took about two minutes of teaching and tips and two tries and she was a 'pro'.

Couldn't wait to tell the other two, how good she was.

Same thing with trailer work. a few tricks and it's easy.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM

I couldn't back up that great until I got my class 1. That made me a better driver.

But hand on the bottom of the wheel is the key thing, and knowing how much of a radius your truck can turn back under the trailer is a plus too. I can get most trailers in one shot, small trailers are harder as they screw off a lot faster
Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
We usually do much the same where I get it lined up on the launch and she does the rest.
She also is not scared to tow the boat down the road which is nice since we have a travel trailer and sometimes the only way to fish and camp is to drive 2 trucks.
I do agree though the boat launch and watching people back their trailers into their sites are the 2 most funny and fight watching things you can do.
I keep my wife out of any backing up....Take the kids and scoot out of my way

I prefer to do it all myself...and set up...Wife will take care of the inside unpacking and setting up beds
Old 05-02-2017, 07:17 PM

After my wife drove straight through our garage door I no longer ask her to drive annnnyyyythhhhinnng.........in annnyy direction. And yo know? She's ok with it now lol! I'm pretty quick at the launch anyways but for those of you out there with a little less patience for me at the launch, this is why she isn't backing the dang boat in...with me attached to the back of her ...on a trailer ...in reverse?!! Ahhhhh......no......Not happening!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM

My wife will not even try to back the boat in. And I got a 25' pontoon. Easy as pie to back up.
So I have taught her how to run the boat. Shes a pro.
She can drive it on the trailer like a boss.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Back it up honey and then go make me a sammich!

Ohhhh hey sweetie grab me a cold beer to....thanks!

What a great gal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 PM

My wife is a pro at backing up trailers. Country girl that I taught in a few minutes and she had it. I love seeing people crank their heads around when she whips that trailer onto the ramp and the boat is launched flawlessly. Good times
Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 PM

When launching I normally back up till the boat is almost in the water then jump out of truck and into boat and the GF goes the rest of the way.

When loading she gets out of the boat and gets the truck and backs it into the water and I load the boat. Her trailer handling skills are far better then her boat handling skills. To much throttle, gear shifting and motor tilt adjusting, particularly on windy days in the south when there could be a cross wind while trying to load.

My old man on the other hand... terrible at backing a trailer!! The boat launch can be a very entertaining place.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Women and backing up...

Being a woman myself I know why many wives can't back up the boat or trailer or drive them. It's because they have husbands! Ha Ha! If you didn't have one to do all that for you, and you like fishing or camping you'd certainly learn in one heck of a hurry! "Just sayin'."
Our society defines our roles as men and women but really it doesn't take great strength to do those tasks, maybe a little finesse to unload the boat....I have a 25 ft travel trailer I drive and back up as well as a 15 ft & smaller 10 ft boat trailers. The worst part is putting the big equalizer hitch on the truck for the travel trailer!
And yes I cook & clean too!! Haha!!
So hats off to all the women out there that have chosen to learn how to do those tasks!!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Our society defines our roles as men and women but really it doesn't take great strength to do those tasks, maybe a little finesse to unload the boat....I have a 25 ft travel trailer I drive and back up as well as a 15 ft & smaller 10 ft boat trailers. The worst part is putting the big equalizer hitch on the truck for the travel trailer!
And yes I cook & clean too!! Haha!!
So hats off to all the women out there that have chosen to learn how to do those tasks!!
Absolutely. I think you're dead right about societal roles. Men are expected to be able to do things such as back up a trailer at the launch, so they're more driven to ensure they learn how. You go in with more confidence in yourself and quickly learn to do it. On the other hand, women aren't generally expected by society to know things such as backing up a trailer, so they don't feel as comfortable with doing it because it's a predisposed "man" thing and they know most other women can't do it, so why should they?

In reality, men aren't born with any more knowledge of how to reverse a trailer than any women, it's really just your attitude towards it. It's like applying make up. Men aren't expected to know how to do it, and thus never do, and if you asked a man how you're supposed to apply lipstick, they'd have no idea beyond smothering it on the lips and making a "mwah" sound, meanwhile women know exactly what they're doing in that regard because society dictates that they should know.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM

My wife is the driver at the launch. My job is driving the boat.
Larger boats really need 2 or more to launch and load safely and effectively.
The boat is too large to tandem, so she tows it with the jeep while I drive the 5ver. Last fall on the way back from Spirit River she insisted on driving the truck with the 5ver on the back. She hopped in the hot seat in Valleyview and didn't stop until we got home. Then she drove it to the storage lot and backed it in there too!
She is takes a lot of pride in her skills with the trailer and has helped others in need. Two summers ago she took the wheel of a truck and backed their pontoon down to the launch at Hillards Bay.
If something every happened to me during an outing, I think it's important to have a back up of some type to get the rigs out and home.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

Seen some women that are great at backing the boat up and loading. But I would say the majority of he time I see some guy and his wife launching their boats it usually turns into a huge never ending squabble that brings a smile to my face. At least I'm having relaxing day out on the water. Lol