Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Sad news out of Tofino today

2 Alberta boys, no idea if forum members or not, god bless them, died in hospital after being rescued after a fishing boat with 5 onboard capsized off of Tofino. Same spot where that Leviathan boat capsized last year with 26 on board and 6 people died. The other 3 survived and were released from hospital. They were fishing for Hali's in 2 to 3 metre swells when their boat starting taking in water and they had to abandon ship. Rest in peace and my condolences to the families.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Yes, very sad.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:36 AM

I hope thats not the guys who were asking about fishing Tofino from shore and Safety D and Me told them to go on a charter. That would just be even worse! I read a bunch of the reports and some said it was a Catermaran. That's odd I've never seen a Catamaran out there as a guide boat. Kind of strange though... why were they dead and the others and captain survived. I'm kind of thinking these were the younger thinner guys and didn't survive the cold water at this time of year. Hopefully they publish more explantation, I'm curious.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

I fish off the coast of Prince Rupert most years, you do not want to go into the water, survival rates are minimal due to water temperature and currents.

Very sad news RIP.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Sad for sure. Condolences to any who knew these people. RIP.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Man you hate to hear that!! RIP Boys..

What caused the boat to capsize? Anchor?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Always take a risk when your on big water like that. Don't matter how much experience you have or what kind of boat it is. Your always taking a chance going out on open sea. Yes condolences to the victims ☹️
Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Just back from that neck of the woods. Story I gathered from the local reports was the boat sank, they all went into the water and must have gotten separated. The rest were rescued by alerted recreational boat traffic, but it took a couple of hours before the official search started. Very cold water and strong current there, probably hypothermia that killed them. Very sad.

Grizz
Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM

They were spotted by search plane and another fishing vessel went and made the rescue after 90 minutes in the water. Water is only about 8 degrees this time of year. All were wearing survival suits. A Man 36 and another 42 I think it was perished in hospital from hypothermia, both from Alberta. Ya I hope it wasn't those boys either Brandon. That would be awful wouldn't it. There's no fish swimming worth dying over so it is a solumn and sobering reminder to us all to never let our guards down when out enjoying time on the water. It is unpredictable and inherently much more dangerous than we ever imagine giving it credit for. Combined with good old Mother Nature she can be a lethal combination on any waterbody. Never skimp on boat safety. If you can afford a boat you can afford to equip it with the best safety equipment you can get is my moto. I believe charter operators on the ocean would be wise to all have onboard their vessels a self inflating emergency raft and beacon or satellite phone since they are servicing the public. Then maybe these things wouldn't happen as much and we would have more happier endings.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM
AO Sponsor

They've been identified.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vi...land-1.3394968

Sad day indeed. Thoughts with their families. Safety first always.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
They've been identified.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vi...land-1.3394968

Sad day indeed. Thoughts with their families. Safety first always.
Thanks for the link Serengeti, that sure is aweful. Five kids lost their dads. This time of year with the cold water it just makes it that much more dangerous out there. 1.5 hours in those waves, saltwater and cold would be a miserable way to go.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Banned

Out for a day of fun and excitement, then tragedy. Condolences to the family.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I hope thats not the guys who were asking about fishing Tofino from shore and Safety D and Me told them to go on a charter. That would just be even worse!
That was my husband and I asking. We head out on the 20th but have decided to not go fishing this time around. It's just a little too close for comfort me (hubby isn't quite as worried as me).
Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 AM

That's very sad news indeed.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:24 PM

So sad... RIP Gentlemen.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Always take a risk when your on big water like that. Don't matter how much experience you have or what kind of boat it is. Your always taking a chance going out on open sea. Yes condolences to the victims ☹️
I don't really agree totally this statement except for the condolences. This is a tragedy of epic proportions and so unnecessary. I do know the deceased were part of a construction crew that was involved in a project in Tofino.

Yes, there are always dangers in the big water but there are ways to minimize the dangers thru premium equipment, training and experience.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Very sad indeed. The poor widows and children left behind, I could not even imagine leaving my two girls behind.
I have a fair amount of fishing experience on the west coast, been 10 times all self guided. And grew up on the atlantic, rough water can sneak up on you quick if your not paying attention. With that being said I would find it tough to believe that this could not have been prevented.
But thats besides the point, theres 5 kids who dont get to see their dads again. RIP
Old 05-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Dang... RIP. Be careful out there everybody.