Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Default ghost lake by cochrane

hi guy just wondering if anyone has driven by ghost lake recently, just wondering if the ice is melted or far enough away from shore to throw a line in
Old 04-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Near Morely it's open, just past Mcdougall Church still Frozen
Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Usually May before you can get in the water at Ghost.

Best is just to check with the marina operator.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 PM

The ice doesn't look that great at Ghost and there is no open water along the shore in the main part of there.

However, the river is wide open from Ghost spillway to Bearspaw dam. Alot of areas have some ice on the shore from the ice jamming up during the cold spell last fall, but not enough to make fishing impossible like in some previous years. Generally low level water flows during the day.

Bearspaw dam has started to open on the inlet end with open water reaching approx 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile into the res. Ice melt is more advanced there compared to Ghost, but will be at least another 1.5 - 2 weeks before open water if the warm temps keep up.

I haven't checked the regs to see if these places are even open, so check before you go.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 04-18-2017, 06:06 PM

Any update on this guys? Hoping to launch the boat somewhere Friday, anyone know if the ice is gone?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM

I drove past it on Sunday and it was still fully iced over
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin View Post
I drove past it on Sunday and it was still fully iced over
Second that about Ghost.
Shoreline has a couple feet of extremely thin ice in alot of places. Not suitable to even walk on because of thin spots scattered around and not visible from the surface.

Bearspaw is completely open now from one end to the other.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Any updates looking to go fishing from the shore next week. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
The ice doesn't look that great at Ghost and there is no open water along the shore in the main part of there.

However, the river is wide open from Ghost spillway to Bearspaw dam. Alot of areas have some ice on the shore from the ice jamming up during the cold spell last fall, but not enough to make fishing impossible like in some previous years. Generally low level water flows during the day.

Bearspaw dam has started to open on the inlet end with open water reaching approx 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile into the res. Ice melt is more advanced there compared to Ghost, but will be at least another 1.5 - 2 weeks before open water if the warm temps keep up.

I haven't checked the regs to see if these places are even open, so check before you go.
It's open. New regs on the bow. And the ice is practically gone. Just watch for the rising water levels between the dams. It only takes a few minutes and the water is two feet deeper. All of the sudden that ankle deep water you tip toed across to get to the island is well above your knees.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 PM

Went by there this afternoon. The whole lake looks open as far as you can see from the parking lot. Level looks very low judging by the boat launch. Some big slabs of ice above the shore but should ok to fish.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM

I was supposed to go out to the Glenmore Reservoir on Sunday, but player 2 has entered the game! And player 2 is equipped with a car. We're looking for a place to fish within about 100km of Calgary. Ghost Lake looks nice, never been, has nice limits and trout, so I think we'll try there. Previous comments suggest the ice is gone now.

Anyone that's fished here, any tips? Where to avoid maybe? Is it accessible from both the north and south ends?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
I was supposed to go out to the Glenmore Reservoir on Sunday, but player 2 has entered the game! And player 2 is equipped with a car. We're looking for a place to fish within about 100km of Calgary. Ghost Lake looks nice, never been, has nice limits and trout, so I think we'll try there. Previous comments suggest the ice is gone now.

Anyone that's fished here, any tips? Where to avoid maybe? Is it accessible from both the north and south ends?

Thanks!
I think Ghost is known as a lake that is tough to fish usually and a boat is required. Chain Lakes west of Nanton might be a better place to fish from if you are fishing from shore.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I think Ghost is known as a lake that is tough to fish usually and a boat is required. Chain Lakes west of Nanton might be a better place to fish from if you are fishing from shore.
Oh yeah? Never been there either. Regs look good, it's not too far, might just do that.

Any suggestions on spots to fish from? It looks pretty inaccessible from the shore via Google maps..

Thanks sir!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah? Never been there either. Regs look good, it's not too far, might just do that.

Any suggestions on spots to fish from? It looks pretty inaccessible from the shore via Google maps..

Thanks sir!
I don't usually fish both, so I'm probably not the best source of info, but I see people fish the far north end of Chain Lakes from shore often when I drive by, or I've parked at the camp ground / day use area in the winter and ice fished at the south end of the lake. Perhaps someone with more trips to this lake will chime in....
Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks sir!

We pulled 23 out of chain yesterday on the north end it's fun if you want a lot of foot long trout or smaller. Only kept 3 because as I said they're still pretty small
Old 05-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks sir!

Chain Lake is almost always my go to whenever I fish for trout (not to mention that its not that far of a drive from Calgary). Caught my limit within 30 minutes and pulled in like 10 more after. Its a really nice place and its actually quite easily accessible.

I use simple worms and corn and its never failed me at Chain Lake yet.