Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Smile Advice for the new angler

Hey guys, I just picked up fishing last month here in Singapore, where I will live for the next year. I have been c&r fishing for mostly peacock bass,snakehead, gobies etc and I am finding fishing to be extremely fun.

1)I have a 6'6 light spinning rod (Pfleuger Trion) rated 4-8lb so when I come back to Calgary next year, I intend to fish with it. But my question is, will this rod be able to hold up to the fish or do I need to purchase a heavier rod?

2)Where is a good place to start lure fishing in or around Calgary? preferrably easily accessible as I am only 19 so my parents will restrict me from driving too far. (bow river, glenmore , chestermere lake)

3)Is fishing without a boat doable?

4)What sort of lures do trout and walleye go for? (Spinners and jerkbaits?)

5)Lastly, aside from the fishing license, what else do I need to make sure I avoid trouble with the cops?

I do know that ^ is a lot of questions but I hope you guys can help me out! Thank you!:)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM

You will need a WIN card and fishing license. You need a WIN card first to buy any sort of hunting or fishing license. Then you need to follow the regulations. You can find out about all of this here. Read the whole site carefully. You have a year to study!:
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

No, you don't need a boat to fish. Lots of good fishing from shore in lakes and rivers around Calgary and right in Calgary. You won't have to drive 100 miles. You can, but you don't need to.

I'll leave the rod and lure discussion to others.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You will need a WIN card and fishing license. You need a WIN card first to buy any sort of hunting or fishing license. Then you need to follow the regulations. You can find out about all of this here. Read the whole site carefully. You have a year to study!:
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

No, you don't need a boat to fish. Lots of good fishing from shore in lakes and rivers around Calgary and right in Calgary. You won't have to drive 100 miles. You can, but you don't need to.

I'll leave the rod and lure discussion to others.
Yup and understand it to its fullest, don't ask for interpretations of what one thinks on a regulation as you will get dizzy quickly, tale those questions with the F&W department.
A good 7 foot medium action rode, quality real, line will keep you happy similar to your rig.
Ask the calgarians what's hot for lures at a local shop.
You got a year to research so you should be set.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default Chinese belvedere

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoifish98 View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up fishing last month here in Singapore, where I will live for the next year. I have been c&r fishing for mostly peacock bass,snakehead, gobies etc and I am finding fishing to be extremely fun.

1)I have a 6'6 light spinning rod (Pfleuger Trion) rated 4-8lb so when I come back to Calgary next year, I intend to fish with it. But my question is, will this rod be able to hold up to the fish or do I need to purchase a heavier rod?

2)Where is a good place to start lure fishing in or around Calgary? preferrably easily accessible as I am only 19 so my parents will restrict me from driving too far. (bow river, glenmore , chestermere lake)

3)Is fishing without a boat doable?

4)What sort of lures do trout and walleye go for? (Spinners and jerkbaits?)

5)Lastly, aside from the fishing license, what else do I need to make sure I avoid trouble with the cops?

I do know that ^ is a lot of questions but I hope you guys can help me out! Thank you!
1.) Any pole that gets the line in the water is fine

2.) All 3 you mentioned are a good start. I'd just find a stretch of the Bow that has some pockets and holes that you can walk the bank. Can't remember where it was, but there's a train crossing over the Bow in a residential area, that has some deep holes up and down the bank.

3.) Yes

4.) Leave the guns, drugs, and I hate cops t-shirt at home.

Goodluck
Old 03-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertScorpio View Post

4.) Leave the guns, drugs, and I hate cops t-shirt at home.
I'll hold 'em for you. Don't give them to Scorpio. He's mad at his family.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM

1) That rod will work in a variety of situations. Good all purpose rod for trout, whitefish and will be fine for walleye. For Pike you can definitely use that rod but you'll need to be a bit more cautious and play the bigger fish since in terms of size of trout, whitefish, walleye and Pike, Pike by far reach higher heavier size classes than the former three.

More important is your fishing line. For trout and whitefish I'd use 4 or 6 lb mono, or 10 lb braid connected to 4 or 6 lb fluoro. This works for Perch (if you can find em) too).

For Walleye and Burbot I would use 20 to 30 lb braid connected to a 10 to 20 lb fluoro leader (use actual leader material here). When the leader get's abraded switch it out to avoid losing a fish. You can also just make due with 10 to 16 lb mono.

For Pike I'd use the same 20 to 30lb braid and attach to a 30 to 50 lb fluoro, stainless steel or titanium leader. You can also use 10 to 15 lb mono and attach a stainless steel leader. You can use a lighter lb test if you're using a wire leader since the leader isn't so much for handling the fish's weight but dealing with the abrasion caused by its teeth.

With a light rod you can still land large fish, but you need to make sure you keep tension on and let the fish play itself out (run). Light rods require more attention and technique but are tons of fun. Sometimes annoying with Pike is they will run into the weeds and make themselves tough to land. Might have to hand ball the line in this case or your rod will snap.

The lighter rod will limit the size of tackle you use however. Heavier rods can cast heavier gear.

2) All good places. Look into the smaller nearby rivers and ponds. I won't list any since this is really easy to find on your own with a small amount of effort.

3) Yep. A boat is more fun but not required. Maybe look into a small canoe or kayak. Focus on smaller water bodies if you can in the spring and fall since fish are typically shallow and close to shore at this time. Fishing gets tougher in summer for most prairie lakes but gets better up in the mountains usually by July, August. Rivers and streams are your friend as well since most are accessible and easy to fish. Then ice fishing usually starts around Dec to end of March depending on location. No need for a boat then!

4) Think small for trout. They eat bugs mainly so a plain hook size 12 to 16 with a meal worm or trout worm and split shot works well (can use a small jighead as well). Spinners and small spoons too. There are a ton of options here and it does depend on the season somewhat. Trout will hit medium to small rapalas, jerk baits but with less consistency since these are usually territorial strikes.

Walleye also eat bugs but seem to prefer larger bugs like leeches and night crawlers. I usually use a jighead rigged to a minnow, smelt or leech. Again, you'll need to do more research on this to really prime yourself. And I would say location is more important than lure or bait most of the time.

5) Read the rules. Check the regs for every lake before you visit. Make sure you understand. If in doubt about keeping a fish, let it go. Be prepared with the proper tools to remove hooks. This is particularly true for Pike and Walleye as they have sharp teeth and spines that make things difficult. Get long nose pliers, a rubber net or landing pad and a jaw opener. I also find a jaw gripper useful to hold the fish still and secure.

Good luck and be prepared to face many disappointments while you're out there learning to fish. Fishing is a long road and takes time to get good at (especially in this province), but be patient, listen to others, never be afraid to try new or even crazy tactics, respect the resource and you'll have many happy days on the water.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Default Close poste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'll hold 'em for you. Don't give them to Scorpio. He's mad at his family.