Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Default involving the family.

great story on the cbc's, the national.

near the end of the program.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2646140330/

there's been some great threads of late here on AO. from guys getting there families out, and involved.

very nice, keep it up!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Good,catch Paul, that was a good, positive article.
Doug
Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM

thanks for posting .. best 8 minutes of news i have seen in a while

keep at it guys ..i applaud u for your efforts to teach your children
well done
Old 01-06-2015, 09:18 AM

I love taking my kids out and seeing their excitement checking traps. It is great to spend time with them. I also take the time to help them learn life skills and try to learn new things. My 10 year old daughter is still having a hard time to lite a fire but at least she knows the ideas behind it lol My 6 year old drives a skidoo although not the greatest but how many 6 year olds can say they have done it. There are lots of things to teach them and I love taing them out. It also gives me a free pass from my wife to go check traps with the kids so it's a win that way as well.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Great article.

I take my daughters with me all the time. My youngest doesn't like hunting, but she enjoys fishing and trapping. The oldest loves it all. She shot her first elk just before Christmas. If you don't pass it on, what's the point?

Spruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nat 2014.jpg (145.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Nat's Elk 2014.jpg (27.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 PM

My three kids have been raised hunting fishing and trapping.
My father went way out of his way to make sure I was taught all these things and I am doing the same. They have all had many experiences they will never forget as well as skills that will serve them well in life and I truly believe it makes for great kids.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM

I finally got around to watching the news clip last night, I thought it was well done.
My father and grandfather also went out of their way to include me in the hunting, fishing and trapping heritage. I remember my grandfather telling me funny stories about how my dad fell through the spring ice trapping beaver or flipped his canoe chasing a moose down the lake.
In Ontario they had minimum quotas on beaver and some of them were pretty high. One line they owned had a minimum quota of 150 beaver per year and you were working hard to get that. I remember being a little kid and the old man throwing me up on top of beaver houses. I was too small to climb them myself so I must have only been a few years old. He figured it was the safest place for me to be and not fall through the ice on the runs. They would go from sun up until sun down every weekend to get that quota and as long as it wasn't too cold I got to go anytime I wanted, despite the fact it slowed them down.
Many of my best memories as a kid were out there with them. Years of questions and answers and they never seemed to get tired of it. lol
My old man is still going strong at 60 out on the line, him and his partner trap 3 different lines full time and it keeps them working hard.
We lost papa last year at 83, he hadn't been out to the line in a few years as his health was starting to slip but he always wanted to know how we were making out. The amount of knowledge that man had accumulated and passed on over the years is staggering.
Now I take my own boy out and will try and pass on all I can remember from those that taught me and everything I'm learning now. Even though some days my production is slowed down for snack breaks and runny noses I wouldn't change it for the world. That smile is worth more then anything you could ever buy