Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 03:57 PM

Default Any electric fat tire bike owners?

I'm looking at getting myself an electric bike. I wouldn't mind the ability to take it down into the river valley and off the paved trail. Places like the Peace River Wilderness Trail comes to mind, as well as a few other places I've gone grouse/bow hunting with fairly decent trails to get closer before I start walking in. This leads me toward looking at fat tire bikes. But I want to know that I will get use out of it while in town daily.

I'm not looking for recommendations as much as the opinions/testimonials of those who own a fat tire electric bikes:

Do you use it for every day cycling? Riding the road/sidewalk/paved walking/cycling paths? Or is there a negative to the large tires and weight that would prevent me from ever peddling unassisted?

My commute to work on the bike would be around 20 km one way of paved road and I wonder if I would hate having a fat tire bike if I were to take it to work daily.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
I'm looking at getting myself an electric bike. I wouldn't mind the ability to take it down into the river valley and off the paved trail. Places like the Peace River Wilderness Trail comes to mind, as well as a few other places I've gone grouse/bow hunting with fairly decent trails to get closer before I start walking in. This leads me toward looking at fat tire bikes. But I want to know that I will get use out of it while in town daily.

I'm not looking for recommendations as much as the opinions/testimonials of those who own a fat tire electric bikes:

Do you use it for every day cycling? Riding the road/sidewalk/paved walking/cycling paths? Or is there a negative to the large tires and weight that would prevent me from ever peddling unassisted?

My commute to work on the bike would be around 20 km one way of paved road and I wonder if I would hate having a fat tire bike if I were to take it to work daily.
From your description it doesn't sound like you need a fat tire. My ebike has 2.25 inch and I use it on everything from single track to roadways. Saying that I chat with guys with fat tired ebikes all the time and they always seem to love them. They are also the only ones I see out riding in the snow as well with studded tires, so they may be a better bet for your year round commuting.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:13 PM
Banned

just bought two of them and have them in yuma, az. we've been using them everyday, mostly on roads and sidewalks and we love them. a little extra air in the tires and they are perfectly happy. yesterday i was showing off for the wife and took off offroad. its not my 250 honda xr, but it really surprised me by going through the sand with little problem. we've been riding them on assist level 1 (of 5), and after 4 days (wish i could say how many k's, but don't know)they still have half the battery left......we've been pleasantly surprised.

one thing about it (in my opinion), i'd rather have a fat tire bike on the street than a skinny tired bike on a trail
Old 03-08-2023, 08:18 PM

I have a Biktrix Jaggernaut Classic fat ebike and I really enjoy it. I have put on over 800kms so far and the bike handles everything. It has 26x4 in rubber on it and I run studded in the winter. I ride side walks, pavement, walking paths and back country. I would go with any smaller tires. The coldest I rode this wnter was -34 c so I ride year around and its a great was to get some exercise and fresh air. My wife bought me heated gloves for Xmas and that was a game charger.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:19 PM

I would not go with smaller tires.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post

I think ebikes are great! In the off season you can train riding an escalator!
Old 03-08-2023, 09:18 PM

Seen these ones at Costco west edmonton. $1999. Looks like a decent unit. 80km on a charge, and top speed of 45kms.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Seen these ones at Costco west edmonton. $1999. Looks like a decent unit. 80km on a charge, and top speed of 45kms.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
They were 1599 on the weekend up here in GP
Still not sure why I didn’t ride it out of there…
Old 03-09-2023, 07:41 AM

I have a RAD Rover step thru with 4” tires and its great. It does weigh about 80lbs but it handles rough terrain well. I use a motorcycle carrier that fits in bumper hitch and I have about 1300 klms on with no issues. i did put in a tube guard in the tires to reduce any flat tire issues that havent occurred yet. You can easily get spare batteries from Rad if you really plan to put on distance, though I find even while waiting for knee replacement I was getting about 65-70 klms on single charge. Yes I did use the throttle lots but I also peddled lots
Old 03-09-2023, 09:11 AM

Awesome. Thanks everyone. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:47 PM

I have a Rambo fatso mid drive. Bought it for hunting, used it mostly for commuting. Great way to get around.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I think ebikes are great! In the off season you can train riding an escalator!
I agree. Running up the down escalator and dodging people left and right is a blast! A Dukes of Hazzard slide down between the two and all over again.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat175 View Post
I have a Biktrix Jaggernaut Classic fat ebike and I really enjoy it. I have put on over 800kms so far and the bike handles everything. It has 26x4 in rubber on it and I run studded in the winter. I ride side walks, pavement, walking paths and back country. I would go with any smaller tires. The coldest I rode this wnter was -34 c so I ride year around and its a great was to get some exercise and fresh air. My wife bought me heated gloves for Xmas and that was a game charger.
I have the Juggernaut Duo Classic and really like it. I got the add-on battery and my range went from 70km to 140km. The 4" fat tires make for a comfortable ride but it's a pretty good workout if you're not going to use any pedal assist. Payload is 280lbs.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 PM

Default Bakcou ebikes

Come to Edmonton Sportsman show and check out Bakcou E-bikes. They are new to Canada.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem42 View Post
They were 1599 on the weekend up here in GP
Still not sure why I didn’t ride it out of there…
That's a really good deal imo.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:15 AM

I have a Surface604 Boar Hunter. Fantastic bike on both pavement and backroads & trails. I'm personally not interested in hunting with it but it's a ton of fun to ride. Great mileage on the 20Ah battery. Torque sensor is very responsive. Quality components for the price point and a Canadian company. You can find some good reviews here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqrVCWx217s and here: https://fat-bike.com/2020/12/surface...d-city-riding/
Old 03-25-2023, 12:27 PM

Give er...
And yes, they are a little tougher to ride unassisted. I run mine unassisted when I feel like getting in a bit more cardio. Otherwise you can go all day on power #1.
Their beefy... kinda like a motorcycle without the engine. Which I like the feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1120CC4D-3721-4512-95B4-51729A512866.JPG (177.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-25-2023, 12:52 PM

Wife has a Rize Leisure, which she loves. I'm thinking of getting one as well. Other than price, I wonder if there is any way to judge quality. I like the Rize brand, being Canadian, but am interested in knowing where they rank quality-wise.....
Old 03-27-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I have the Juggernaut Duo Classic and really like it. I got the add-on battery and my range went from 70km to 140km. The 4" fat tires make for a comfortable ride but it's a pretty good workout if you're not going to use any pedal assist. Payload is 280lbs.
I have the same bike as does my wife. I think they are absolutely great, and my wife and I are able to go just about anywhere together now.
The fat tires are a little more difficult getting parts for, and I have had enough flats that I am looking at going tubeless. Hopefully that makes things better. Because they are big and heavy, it is no fun recovering them, so make sure you have spare tubes, patches, tools, and a pump to make your life easier if you do get a flat in the middle of no where.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
I have the same bike as does my wife. I think they are absolutely great, and my wife and I are able to go just about anywhere together now.
The fat tires are a little more difficult getting parts for, and I have had enough flats that I am looking at going tubeless. Hopefully that makes things better. Because they are big and heavy, it is no fun recovering them, so make sure you have spare tubes, patches, tools, and a pump to make your life easier if you do get a flat in the middle of no where.
Get tannus armour tire liners better than tubeless they can be run flat if needed too