Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Buyer beware

Recently, there have been a number of members who have been ripped off by scam artist(s) on the Buy and Sell Forum. This is not new or unique to AO. There is zero we can really do to help you with deals that have gone sideways. Internet crooks know how to ply their trade. They are easily able to keep one step ahead of outdoorsmen looking for equipment. Rely on trader ratings/post histories/recommendations by others/face to face deals/Canada Post COD payment/Copious Pics. We have heard from members who have contacted law enforcement and there is really nothing they can do. We are on our own folks, so deal wisely.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM

I would like to add please do NOT complete feedback until such time that you have received the item and ensure it is as advertised. In this latest case we had 2 positive feedback yet neither had recieved their items.

Do your due diligence, if firearms please ensure PAL along with other piece of ID. I personally would not send a pic of your PAL as it seems others are using that ID to scam showing they have a PAL. take the number and call the 1-800 to verify.

Face to face is always good, just ensure the DL matches the PAL. I have had many wanting to take a pic of my Pal and thats a hard no for me. ITs sad we have to go to great lengths to ensure we are not getting scammed vs the ol days where a hand shake was golden.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Banned

I ask to see a pic of current mail and something dated or a piece of paper with a word I give them and their dl in the same pic
And then a pic with that same word and the item I’m buying
Sometimes they ask why, and I say so I know where I’m going if my item doesn’t show up.

Worked for everything up to 100k cars in the states for me
Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 AM

The problem is not only in the buy and sell.

Such as the Caribou thread below....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The problem is not only in the buy and sell.

Such as the Caribou thread below....
What’s wrong with the caribou thread WB ???
Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Here is a novel idea. Why not walk in to your favourite sporting goods store, find what you are looking for, pay for it, take it home with you and forget about trying to buy it on the damn internet.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Here is a novel idea. Why not walk in to your favourite sporting goods store, find what you are looking for, pay for it, take it home with you and forget about trying to buy it on the damn internet.
Many reasons, but often what is offered for sale privately, is not available in the store.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Many reasons, but often what is offered for sale privately, is not available in the store.
Oh I know. I've bought things on line for sure. Having to be constantly on the lookout for scammers does get tiresome, though. That's all I was saying.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Well buying from an online source that processes credit cards is low risk in my experience. if you don't get it you can do a chargeback. Have done several personally and it was never an issue. The issue is sending money via etransfers or the like. If you dont get the goods you are out of luck.

Unfortunately that is just the way the world is these days. If I'm buying or selling something valuable its always in person. And I will definitely not send a picture of my ID/PAL to who knows who on the internet unless its a reputable online store. Last think I need is some scammer knowing my address and the fact that I have firearms in my residence.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Also be sure you’re sending firearm to the PAL owner...one thing for someone to give you a valid PAL and then it another if you are actually sending it to that person. How you go about that is up to you...CFC won’t confirm an address for you.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 PM

If there's doubt ,just back away.If the person doesn't sound legit it's only a darn rifle,Land line,address,pal by text and email then google it all someone or some name will come up.
A guy tried to rob me from burns lake bc and I asked him if he did business with TD in Burns Lake and he said yes and I replied there is no TD bank in that town and I called the feds.Lots of these guys may not even be in the country,i asked where he was born and he replied my birth place a is Canada and that was a flag raiser .Never give your ID to no one.There could be a friend that lives near him and ask your friend to met him and do the deal and if there any reasons on his part why he won't,run.Make it a very public place like outside a cop station,you can still get jacked up on a face to face deal.

If your buying and there willing to give an ID ,run because no one unless there desperate for money or a crook would do this cause there's a good chance it's not his ID.All you have to do is give your pal as the buyer nothing less or more,If they ask for copied ID, likely your ID will be used for illegal gains and not just guns.

If you have friends in law enforcement ask them to check up on this guy and if that doesn't work call it a day and back away.

Plus when buying guns or other things from a store use a credit card cause your butt is covered ,debit cards can be hacked by someone targeting that store and a year latter you get hit,with a credit card your covered for your stuff even if it's damaged your not on the hook .

Plus there's plenty of gun stores that will do the deal for a fee if you need the firearm bad enough .There's alway's a way to get the deal done if it's legit,so go slow and never rush.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:53 AM

Complete sentences in a reply, post history and of course trader rating are good initial “sniff tests”. You can also ask for a picture of the item with a random kitchen utensil or similar - the kind of random thing everyone has but no one would normally put with the item for sale.

I also don’t send or ask for the EMT password until there’s a confirmed tracking number.

No guarantees but it’s layers of protection.