Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Making a Long Bow

Hey!
Attempting to make my first Long Bow. I have been watching lots of videos and reading diy articles.
I cut a large Saskatoon, 3-4” diameter bottom to 2-3” top at 76”. I removed bark and split, leaving me a straight back and rounded belly. I cleaned out the knots, and have a surprisingly straight grained stave, about 1-2” thick. I Wrapped ends with cello and clamped it between 2 straight boards and will let dry.
Now I think I should have just sealed the ends and left bark on, is it futile to continue with this piece, should I start again?
Any and all opinions welcome!
Old 09-30-2020, 11:36 AM

I've been dabbling for a few years. So a hack at best. But if you have a straight piece of saskatoon, I'm jealous!
I figure your good. You could also clamp it recieved a bit, all my bows take a little set. I would also get a couple other staves going, its proubably not going to be that your first one is perfect.
You will break a couple, especially useing saskatoon. I have a couple saskatoon staves but nothing my current skill set can work with.
Good luck.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks BSmitty. I will get cutting some more, I have quite a bit of Elm and Maple in the yard as well I might try out.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM

I also plan to try my luck at my first bow build this winter. My plan is to build a wood laminated flat bow from lumber not a staff. Unfortunately there is poor choices of hardwood locally so will have to wait till I go to Edmonton next

Good luck on your build and post pics when you’re done
Old 09-30-2020, 09:47 PM

I believe that saskatoon (service berry) is one of the best bow wood we have on the prairies. Elm can be good but apariently hard to split. Ive never tried, but you got me looking at the neighoours Elm trees! The Manitoba maple (box elder) we have is not great. I need to find some straight saskatoon trees!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 PM

I am also going to try a flat build Smokey as it will take a few months for drying. Windsor plywood says it has Osage sometimes. BSmitty if you are ever NW of Cowtown you are more then welcome to knock a couple Saskatoon limbs down at my farm. The shelter belt ones are 20+ feet now.