Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Shotgun Slugs

Hey all
Seeking some information on shotgun slugs.I have a rem 870 wingmaster in 12gauge that shoots 23/4 with a full choke.Just wondering if its possible to shoot slugs through this setup or do I need to change barrels to a rifled one.Just going to be packing it for backup while bowhunting.Chances are very slim of even using it but you never know.Any info greatly appreciated
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
Hey all
Seeking some information on shotgun slugs.I have a rem 870 wingmaster in 12gauge that shoots 23/4 with a full choke.Just wondering if its possible to shoot slugs through this setup or do I need to change barrels to a rifled one.Just going to be packing it for backup while bowhunting.Chances are very slim of even using it but you never know.Any info greatly appreciated
I don't think you can shoot a slug through a full choke. What I did was took it to a gun smith and he drilled out the choke. Then I bought some rifled slugs so it would put the spiral on the slug its self. Worked good for me I took a whitetail with it last year. I am good out to 100 yards
Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Default Choke + slug = bad

Never shoot any slug out of a shotgun with a full choke. You need an open choke tube. You may get away with it but it's pretty dangerous. That's what I've been told anyways!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM

you can go either way, I have a rifled barrel for my 870 and shoot sabots. Or you can get rifled slugs to shoot through a smoth bore. Though I would look into what choke you should use for slugs. My brother dropped a nice whitetail with the rifled barrel. so they do work well.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Bb"s

So in other words I would be better off shooting 00 buckshot?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM

I have has wonderful success with a rifled barrel on the wing master. Deer and wild Boar mostly. Remington slugs were good but the Federal sabot slugs have been the most consistent. Although I have heard one should not shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel I have had good accuracy out to 80 yard with them. No damage to the rifling just made sure to brush it out real good. You may also want to consider a rifled choke tube as it can be just as accurate as a full rifled barrel. Just consider buying the clipon rear site and your good to go.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
Hey all

Slugs are fine to shoot through a full choke, can you imagine how many lawsuits there would already be if they didn't work. I have done it for years with great success, I find the full choke barrel gives better accuracy with slugs and a modified works best with buckshot and birdshot.